Kenetrek Boots

Making a job change possibly...what would you do?

Keep'er Movin

Hey everyone,

I am at a bit of a crossroads in my life. I have an absolute love for bird hunting, shotguns, and bowhunting not to mention hiking, kayaking, and fishing. I've been an educator for the past 22 years and only get 2 personal days the whole entire year. I have a ton of sick days, but it's obvious if I take one, two, ten for hunting the rut, grouse hunting, pheasant hunting etc. Because of the lack of personal days/vacation days, I am thinking about ditching education for a job that pays about half as much, but I would be done everyday at 1:30 pm and have the weekends off. I would have full benefits, dental, 401K, etc., just be making a significant amount less. My wife has a good job that she loves which is 5 min away from our home. I am also commuting 30 min a day one way to teach and if I were to take this new job, my commute would be eliminated. In your opinion, is less money and more time to do what you love worth it? Just for reference, I make about 70,000 now and the new job would be around 40,000 starting. Have any of you ever done something like this before? I already have a pension through the state for my 22 years of service, it just won't be a full pension. Is some guaranteed money better than no guaranteed money seeing as you never know when your health may give out and your ability to follow your passions may also give out? I would love your thoughts on this.

Last edited:
Wow. My instinct says don’t do it based on the new job. You are taking a pay cut and working the full year versus the teaching position. Have you considered the public pension loss (assuming)? You knew the work schedule when you started teaching 22 years ago.

Do you have the skill set to find another job closer to your salary?

If you want to move, I’d be more organized and not jump at the first opportunity.

Just a thought, a lot of rural MT schools are going to 4 days a week. My daughter's high school has been for a decade now. If I were a teacher, I'd be lookin at those.
Our tech ed teacher came from the Dakota's and he said their district did this as well. I don't really want to uproot my wife since she seems like she has found her dream job, but moving out west would be in my opinion the best!

It's gonna take a lot of adjusting that's for sure. I did it about 6 years ago. I'm hourly so it's a little different. I left a job that I worked around 2500 to 2800 hrs (I dif that from age 18 to 31 j was burnt out and the company trwted you like garbage) made 110 to 130k. New job is about 1500 hours a year and make around 95 to 100k. I no longer have pto but at the other place those three weeks were literally my only time off. Now I'm off all winter and can take a few days here and there but it's unpaid. I have a lot more time to hunt around home but not nearly for traveling and a lot less money to to it with. Overall I wouldn't go back to the old job (I've been asked). It has definitely been a bug adjustment though with 3k less gross per month coming in and a lot more time to spend that money in don't have. I went from single to now a family of 5 so I'm a little skewed on that one though. If you can financially do it. Then I probably would. Just have to try and find some places to cut and or pick up some extra cash/side work. Good luck either way.

YES!

It seems odd to me that you would even feel you have to ask the question.

I know what is important to me...I am just more or less curious as to what other's think. It's also nice to get responses to things I may have not thought of.

It's gonna take a lot of adjusting that's for sure. I did it about 6 years ago. I'm hourly so it's a little different. I left a job that I worked around 2500 to 2800 hrs (I dif that from age 18 to 31 j was burnt out and the company trwted you like garbage) made 110 to 130k. New job is about 1500 hours a year and make around 95 to 100k. I no longer have pto but at the other place those three weeks were literally my only time off. Now I'm off all winter and can take a few days here and there but it's unpaid. I have a lot more time to hunt around home but not nearly for traveling and a lot less money to to it with. Overall I wouldn't go back to the old job (I've been asked). It has definitely been a bug adjustment though with 3k less gross per month coming in and a lot more time to spend that money in don't have. I went from single to now a family of 5 so I'm a little skewed on that one though. If you can financially do it. Then I probably would. Just have to try and find some places to cut and or pick up some extra cash/side work. Good luck either way.

Thanks for the reply. We don't have kids, our school loans are paid off, we do have a mortgage on a house that has doubled in value over the last 8 years we have been there, and we have modest car/truck payments. The fact that we don't have kids makes the decision more doable in my opinion, but you are right, the money would be a bit of an adjustment as far as our lifestyle is concerned. I don't consider either one of us big spenders, but I'm sure there would be things we would have to cut back on a bit.

So you’re gonna take a 30k pay cut and retire with less money for a grouse?
Or retire with a bunch of money, and still not have a grouse because my job won't let me follow my passions. Money has ebbed and flowed my whole life. My first house was a starter home for 100K and my second home was double that. For twice the money you would think I should get twice the enjoyment. At the end of the day, it was just a house...just like the first one. I appreciate your point of view, but money is not the main motivation in my life.

Or retire with a bunch of money, and still not have a grouse because my job won't let me follow my passions. Money has ebbed and flowed my whole life. My first house was a starter home for 100K and my second home was double that. For twice the money you would think I should get twice the enjoyment. At the end of the day, it was just a house...just like the first one. I appreciate your point of view, but money is not the main motivation in my life.
I get that perspective and I’ve certainly been on both sides of financials. Over the years I’ve found I have fewer days to get out but having some extra change makes those days more enjoyable. Everything from decent tires on the truck, hotel stays, dog supplies, days at the skeet range, etc. all cost throughout the year.
That being said, I’d never stay at a job that took away from my enjoyment of life.

I would try to find another job with the state to keep building on your pension. There have to be openings around the same salary without specific education requirements, and most state jobs outside of teaching have reasonably flexible schedules.

Don't you get three months of the year off and like 25 national holidays as an "Educator"?

You came to the wrong place looking for shoulders to cry on....lol

Thanks for the reply. We don't have kids, our school loans are paid off, we do have a mortgage on a house that has doubled in value over the last 8 years we have been there, and we have modest car/truck payments. The fact that we don't have kids makes the decision more doable in my opinion, but you are right, the money would be a bit of an adjustment as far as our lifestyle is concerned. I don't consider either one of us big spenders, but I'm sure there would be things we would have to cut back on a bit.
Without kids it will be WAY easier imo.

Don't you get three months of the year off and like 25 national holidays as an "Educator"?

You came to the wrong place looking for shoulders to cry on....lol
Not looking for shoulders to cry on at all. If I was an avid bass fisherman, this job would be the cat's meow. Again, I just like getting perspectives of others.

Back