Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Magnetic Bino Harness Interference

thomas89

Alright, giving up on Vortex binocular harnesses. Pull tab glue gave way on this last weekend out, fed up with their garbage. Don't even think I'll bother writing in trying to get a new one.

That being said, what is this nonsense (or not) about the magnets on binocular harnesses interfering with the compass ability in phones? Seems like it's 50/50 with people running into interference issues.

About ready to pull the trigger on a Mystery Ranch, I like the ability to keep it open if I'm working through the woods glassing every 30 seconds, compared to having to deal with those annoying top flaps getting in the way. Not the end of the world if it doesn't work out, but I am a chronic accumulator and just want to get something and be done with it.

I doubt the magnets are strong enough to cause interference unless you hold your phone right against it. The magnets in digiscoping adapters like Ollin do interfere with the internal compass but even that is minimal since your phone is using movement to determine your heading most of the time.

Yea they can cause interference. Resulted in a very long day for me one time. As long as you know it’s a possibility you could hold your phone further away I’m sure. I switched to the Kuiu from a badlands and glad I did. No magnets. Super quiet.

Told ya. 50/50.

Ordered the MR one. See how she goes. Very true, as long as I’m aware of it maybe I can avoid any issues.

50/50 seems about right. I think these days it might depend on your phone etc. As to how much interference you'll get

the magnets on my marsupial definitely screwed up my phone compass and caused me a real headache trying to navigate back to camp in the dark several years ago.

Once aware of it, on follow-up hunts I was more conscious to hold phone further away from my chest...

I went to a marsupial no-mag for this year and will see how it goes.

Last edited:
50/50 seems about right. I think these days it might depend on your phone etc. As to how much interface you'll get

the magnets on my marsupial definitely screwed up my phone compass and caused me a real headache trying to navigate back to camp in the dark several years ago.

Once aware of it, on follow-up hunts I was more conscious to hold phone further away from my chest...

I went to a marsupial no-mag for this year and will see how it goes.

We talking like a permanent screw up, or just take the phone away from the magnet and it fixes it?

Marsupial harness causes interference on iPhone SE compass functions for me. Perhaps exacerbated with two magnets, one in both the bino harness and the rangefinder pouch. GPS tracks fine in every app I use and shows an accurate location. It just fricks with things if I’m trying to get an actual directional read in the compass app, OnX, or Gaia. The magnet also fricks with actual old-fashioned compasses. My 33 sleeve length doesn’t allow me to hold a phone or compass far enough from the magnets to de-frick things.

It’s enough of a pain that I plan upgrade to a magnet-free harness sometime in the next year or two.

Marsupial harness causes interference on iPhone SE compass functions for me. Perhaps exacerbated with two magnets, one in both the bino harness and the rangefinder pouch. GPS tracks fine in every app I use and shows an accurate location. It just fricks with things if I’m trying to get an actual directional read in the compass app, OnX, or Gaia. The magnet also fricks with actual old-fashioned compasses. My 33 sleeve length doesn’t allow me to hold a phone or compass far enough from the magnets to de-frick things.

It’s enough of a pain that I plan upgrade to a magnet-free harness sometime in the next year or two.
I’ve had the same experience, but I’ve got ape hangers. If I hold my phone out it minimizes the effect. I do carry an old fashioned compass with me, and have to take my bino harness off and step away from it for that to not be effected.

We talking like a permanent screw up, or just take the phone away from the magnet and it fixes it?
not permanent. But IIRC it would sometimes take a bit or require a phone restart to get cleared up.
Perhaps exacerbated with two magnets, one in both the bino harness and the rangefinder pouch.
Yeah, if you try to use both the bino harness and rangefinder pouch with magnets and they're both on your chest it will really mess with any compass.

I used OnX on iPhone for years with my cheapo Vortex bino harness with zero issues. Bought a FHF with magnet last year and it started going bonkers when navigating. Had to hold at arms length and spin phone around to get it to orient. Drove me effin nuts. Switched to non magnetic forward opening Stone Glacier this year and zero issues. It also affected my traditional compass.
My hunting partner has Mystery Ranch and it affects his OnX. He’s switching harnesses.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smokin
Back