Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Load Data Records

I use the steno pad but after thumbing through it enough, the pages become loose and dirty. I do my data by gun and caliber, each gun gets its own data section. Some are on page 4 already. Sheesh, you would think I could find a load quicker than that but there are so many "shiny bullets" to try and all those powders? and primers?

Sheesh, you would think I could find a load quicker than that but there are so many "shiny bullets" to try and all those powders? and primers?
You would think that once you would have developed a suitable load that you would quit looking for a better one. Everything I shoot is around 3-4" group at 200yds. For what purpose do I need to try and tighten that up? Those "shiny bullets" are like a drug habit.

A couple people mentioned ladder tests. I've got zero experience reloading. Could someone explain what a ladder test is?

A couple people mentioned ladder tests. I've got zero experience reloading. Could someone explain what a ladder test is?
You're basically working from start to max book charge by loading a single charge in consistent increments. You shoot (over a chronograph) all the loads at a single target looking for where bullets group while looking for "nodes" in the velocities. There are a lot of downfalls to this method but is a quick way to find a max charge. In theory, you'll never really shoot enough to be statistically significant and shooter error majorly effects groups so this method helps keep component use down so you can shoot. It does give a good place to start looking for load charges but it's far from perfect.

Another method I've heard but never tried is bumping the charge until there's no marked increase in velocity and there's no case or primer pressure signs. Once hitting Max safe velocity start working on consistent satisfactory groups. Personally I've never worked for max velocity. For what and where I normally shoot anything over 250-300 yds isn't needed. A lot depends on your caliber as to whether or not it will kill cleanly at the ranges YOU hunt at.

You're basically working from start to max book charge by loading a single charge in consistent increments. You shoot (over a chronograph) all the loads at a single target looking for where bullets group while looking for "nodes" in the velocities. There are a lot of downfalls to this method but is a quick way to find a max charge. In theory, you'll never really shoot enough to be statistically significant and shooter error majorly effects groups so this method helps keep component use down so you can shoot. It does give a good place to start looking for load charges but it's far from perfect.
I perform a modified version of this-- I decrease the max load by 10%, then load 10 rounds each at 92% of max, 94%, 96% and so on. I shoot two 5-round groups for accuracy (taking into account MThuntr's correct mention that shooter error is an uncontrollable variable for accuracy), then calculate ES and SD using the full 10 rounds. Probably not enough of a sample size to be statistically accurate but gives me more comfort than relying on a single round that could be a significant outlier.

A quick down and dirty method is load 5 at or near max book load. Seating depth by book spec. If it works for the intended target, leave it be. Moment of deer at 50 yds is a whole lot more forgiving than at 300. There's guys here that want 1" at 300. That's great if it's your goal, but for an old "see it kill it" shot it's not necessary.

The other way without a chrony is to load 3 shot groups increasing powder levels until you find the one that is most accurate. A lot of guns have a slower and a faster group to decide between. You do need to know the range of powder to begin with and the basic fundamentals of reading pressure signs.

I loaded up 5 each of 6.5 with 120gr. E tips. CCI 200 primers and 37, 38, 39 gr. IMR 4895. It's basically a Nosler book load. When the weather cools down I'll go out and see what kind of groups I get. I'll take the best acceptable group and run a couple across my chrono.

I just keep load notes on small rite in the rain note pads that I keep in my range bag, which lives next to the load bench.

I loaded up 5 each of 6.5 with 120gr. E tips. CCI 200 primers and 37, 38, 39 gr. IMR 4895. It's basically a Nosler book load. When the weather cools down I'll go out and see what kind of groups I get. I'll take the best acceptable group and run a couple across my chrono.
Here's the results at 100yds. 120gr. Etips over IMR 4895 .

Hot barrel no wind shot off stacked bags to shoulder.IMG_20240727_081514422_HDR~5.jpg
#8 is an old tried and true 120 ttsx over IMR 4350

IMG_20240727_081514422_HDR~2.jpg

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clinebj22
Back