Lessons learned from MG scouting trip

HuntMT16

A few weekends ago I was able to make it up into the mountains for the first scouting trip for my Montana Mountain Goat hunt. I am fortunate to live very close to my hunt unit so there will be some more scouting trips in the near future. But for now, I figured I would share some things learned from the first trip.

Trekking poles are worth their weight in gold. I've never used them before and swore I never would but they were one of my first purchases after learning I drew my tag. Let me tell you, I hate myself for not buying them 20 years ago. Creek crossings are easier and safer having additional points of contacts on the ground. Going up hill with trekking poles saves a ton of energy and they saved my bacon at least twice preventing falls due to having another point of contact on the ground.

Speaking of falls, I learned my boots need to be upgraded. I used them all last hunting season and never had a problem, they are warm and comfortable, but I realized they have little grip on rocks. We did a lot of boulder hopping going both uphill and down hill and I can't tell you how many times my boots slide (even more so after creek crossings) across the tops of rocks making secure footing impossible. I'll be in the market for a new pair and will more carefully consider the amount of grip the boots provide.

I upgraded from my Eberlestock to a Mystery Ranch Marshall for this hunt with plans to stay several nights in the back country. I'm glad I made the switch. I thought the Marshall might be "too much" pack but it fills up quickly and I'm glad I went with the bigger brother after considering the Metcalf. The pack was comfortable going in and out and carried the weight well. Organization was not as bad as I expected with the extra pockets, although I am disappointed my tripod does not fit in the external pocket, I have to carry it in the side pouch. The 3L water bladder is way more than what is needed as there is water readily available everywhere you turn.

I've never been an ounce counter when it comes to my pack and have always tended to run a little heavier than most opting with the mind set of I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. While there are certain things that will always stay in my pack (first aid, survival, fire starters, etc) the backpack definitely needs to go on a diet. I started looking closer at weight on some items purchased for this hunt, but ounces add up quickly. Some obvious starting points are loosing the mule tape and replacing it with 550 cord, running plastic baggies instead of hard plastic boxes are the first step, but I am going to have to look long and hard at areas to cut weight.

I purchased a Klymit Wild Aspen 0 degree bag for this hunt. I used it on the scouting trip and got pretty cold in the early morning hours. While the bag packs well, it is a really small fit (which says a lot because I am a pretty small guy) and I had a hard time getting in the bag and zipping it.

All the other gear I purchased, jet boil, sleeping pad, inreach, etc. worked pretty much as expected.

While my buddy and I did glass up 11 goats total (1 Mature Billy and 10 Nannies/kids) it was a bit of an eye opener as I expected to see more goats. With (basically) a 100% success rate over the last several years, I may have over anticipated how many goats we would see. Maybe it's just the area we were in did not have as many goats as expected and there are more in other areas, but this was the area initially planned for the first week of the hunt. Considering we were only able to glass for an hour or so on day one and a few hours on day two before hiking out, 11 goats probably isn't a bad turn out. But I have not idea since this is the first time I've been looking for goats as opposed to just finding them while hunting deer and elk.

The wind and snow cut into our glassing time most of the afternoon for day one of the trip. I learned that I need to keep my tarp (a small light weight backpacking tarp) in the bag at all times so we use it as a shelter and can stay somewhat out of the weather and stay glassing. Most importantly I knew I needed to get into better shape for this hunt and have been working on that since learning I drew the tag. Getting into the mountains and hiking is the best way to do this and is far better than working out at home, but I am glad I started the process as early as I did.

For anyone who is applying for a Mountain Goat tag, or really any tag where they plan to stay several nights in the back country, start buying gear now as you have extra pocket change. Even if items sit in the closet un-used for a few years it's easier (for us poor folk anyhow) to buy a little at a time. Switching for day hunt (or back country horseback hunts) to backpack hunt gear, the cost adds up quickly. I was not expecting to draw the tag ( I only had one bonus point) so I wasn't figuring on drawing the tag any time soon so I wasn't worried about the needed upgrade for equipment. I've dropped a lot more cash on this hunt than any other I've done and fortunately I have an understanding wife. But start sooner than later at getting the gear needed for these kinds of hunts, you wallet will thank you when the time does come.

Last but not least, no tents were shanked during the trip and the tent came home in one piece.

I've been chasing goats for almost 30 years. I still buy and try new gear. Put your money in your boots first, then your pack. Don't take half the stuff you think you need. Get in shape, physically and mentally. It's supposed to hurt. Embrace it.

Good luck to you. Hope you have a great hunt.

Not bad for 2 days. Keep the updates coming for all of us wishing we had your tag ;)
Love to see some pictures to go along with your adventure as well!!

I drew the same tag you did this year. Best of luck to you. Perhaps we'll run into each other.

What R value is your pad?
Matters as much or more than bag.
Looking forward to the hunt report.

In my experience, food is usually the heaviest item, overall. I've switched to greenbelly bars and lighter weight snacks (nuts, justin's peanut butter packs, energy chews, jerky, honey stingers, etc.) and try to organize them with by vaccum sealing or a larger ziploc, with one day's food, in each. I'll do a mountain house every other day or so, but usually stay fueled on the snacks and greenbelly bars.

Sometimes, I've gone in early and cached my food in a good spot on a scouting trip, that way, the hike in isn't as exhausting. You're right - the best training is actually in the mountains.

Keep the updates coming; those of us who have ~11more points than you are jealous, but cheering for you from the sidelines. Good luck!

Good luck! Mountain hunting out of a backpack is as good as it gets. Sounds like you are getting you kit dialed in, you're right it takes a while and its expensive, but way more options today than there was 30 years ago when I started. I still have some of that gear too!

Your thinking on a light tarp is spot on. So nice to have one to crawl under and get out of the wind and rain. I have a Rab 1, works perfect, I'm sure there are other options similar.

I pack 2.5L of water, and many times wish I had more. When you get to the top of the mountain and sit all day and water is 1500ft below or more, its nice to no have to drop back down to refill.

Lots of info for backpacking light or backpack mountain hunting. I pick up a few tips and recommendations off them. My last purchase was a 450ml Toaks Ti cup. It will boil 1.5 cups of water with 2 Cogan fuel tabs, or one tab will heat tea/broth for lunch. A 5 day cook kit is like 8oz, including pot/fuel/platform, vs almost 3x that for a jetboil with a small canister. Takes a bit longer, but not a big deal really. My pot platform is a small Ti alcohol stove, but the fuel tabs are less fuss, but about the same BTU output.

I've switched to greenbelly bars

I've seen people talk about these but never looked them up. They must be really good? They are pricy, holy cow almost $6 a bar?

Lots of food options, and lots of prepacked food to pick from but its so expensive too.

I tend to stick to tried and true. Pre-cooked bacon, salami, tortillas, cheese, nuts, jerky, dried fruit/gorp, snickers, peanut butter, homemade macaroons (you can make 2 dozen for the price of 2 heathers choice packaroons, btw) etc. Usually a protien bar per day to fill the gap, a MH or some other homemade dehydrated premade meal or the like for dinner and a good breakfast. My food is 1.25lbs a day or less.

I've got my kit dialed in, and bring some some superfluous stuff as well, like battery packs, air pump, pillow, and crap I could live without if I wanted etc. All in for 10 days of sheep hunting, including rifle, spotter, tripod, and a liter of water, I'm 48-52lb depending on tent, how many extra snickers or clothes I bring and about 15 of that is food.

Hiking in wranglers isn't much fun especially when they get wet. I've been there done that for a long time. Synthetic pants are the way to go, dry quick and more comfortable too. Nothing more miserable than putting on wet pants in the morning. :D They don't have to be some name brand $150 super duper hunting pants either. Wrangler makes some that are quite reasonable!

Good luck! Mountain hunting out of a backpack is as good as it gets. Sounds like you are getting you kit dialed in, you're right it takes a while and its expensive, but way more options today than there was 30 years ago when I started. I still have some of that gear too!

Your thinking on a light tarp is spot on. So nice to have one to crawl under and get out of the wind and rain. I have a Rab 1, works perfect, I'm sure there are other options similar.

I pack 2.5L of water, and many times wish I had more. When you get to the top of the mountain and sit all day and water is 1500ft below or more, its nice to no have to drop back down to refill.

Lots of info for backpacking light or backpack mountain hunting. I pick up a few tips and recommendations off them. My last purchase was a 450ml Toaks Ti cup. It will boil 1.5 cups of water with 2 Cogan fuel tabs, or one tab will heat tea/broth for lunch. A 5 day cook kit is like 8oz, including pot/fuel/platform, vs almost 3x that for a jetboil with a small canister. Takes a bit longer, but not a big deal really. My pot platform is a small Ti alcohol stove, but the fuel tabs are less fuss, but about the same BTU output.

I've seen people talk about these but never looked them up. They must be really good? They are pricy, holy cow almost $6 a bar?

Lots of food options, and lots of prepacked food to pick from but its so expensive too.

I tend to stick to tried and true. Pre-cooked bacon, salami, tortillas, cheese, nuts, jerky, dried fruit/gorp, snickers, peanut butter, homemade macaroons (you can make 2 dozen for the price of 2 heathers choice packaroons, btw) etc. Usually a protien bar per day to fill the gap, a MH or some other homemade dehydrated premade meal or the like for dinner and a good breakfast. My food is 1.25lbs a day or less.

I've got my kit dialed in, and bring some some superfluous stuff as well, like battery packs, air pump, pillow, and crap I could live without if I wanted etc. All in for 10 days of sheep hunting, including rifle, spotter, tripod, and a liter of water, I'm 48-52lb depending on tent, how many extra snickers or clothes I bring and about 15 of that is food.

Hiking in wranglers isn't much fun especially when they get wet. I've been there done that for a long time. Synthetic pants are the way to go, dry quick and more comfortable too. Nothing more miserable than putting on wet pants in the morning. :D They don't have to be some name brand $150 super duper hunting pants either. Wrangler makes some that are quite reasonable!
They are pricey, especially locally off the shelf. I've found them online between $4-5 per package, but I usually find them during sales and order a bunch of them when the price point is lower. They're super light, loaded with calories, and I think, taste pretty good.
I'm with you on the good ol' stuff. Lot's of cheese sticks, nuts, jerky, and my favorite is the leftover halloween candy for a tasty treat.

Can't forget a little thing of fireball/pendelton, either. @YoungGun can testify, I've been known to pack in a smirnoff ice (canned) 8miles just to witness 'icing' one of my buddies. The extra weight is worth the friendship!

Newest update:

One overlooked aspect of drawing this tag was time management. There was plenty of time spent planning days to hunt and coordinating time off. I figured I would have a lot of time to scout and was very wrong and should have planned better for the scouting side of things than I did. Fortunately, the time off of work and life is good to go for the hunt.

I went out weekend before last for only the second scouting trip. We were able to turn up a total of 5 goats, with one billy being a for-sure shooter, but only if he drops down a few thousand feet. The goats are still pretty high and in unreachable places. I refuse to shoot a goat that I can't get to, or will be mush after falling a few thousand feet. Hopefully the weather cools down this week like it's supposed to and helps bring the goats down to a reachable area. I've also been able to talk to enough people that I have overcome my fear of getting snowed out if I don't kill in the first few weeks. I've been told by a few guys goats are still reachable after the snow flies, just in different areas, so that makes the mind a little less worrysome.

A few other notes, food management takes a little bit of practice and fine tuning. Packing food for a day hunt, or for a multiday horseback hunt is one thing. A back pack week long hunt is totally different. The first trip I had too much food and cut back to save some weight and ended up dropping too much. I had an extra mountain house meal, but quickly ran out of snacks. Being hungry for an overnight trip isn't the end of the world, but you feel it more in the lack of energy more than anything without being able to stop for a quick snack. I've prepped with the some of the light weight snacks as mentions, honey stingers and jerky for snacks and lunch with instant oatmeal for breakfast and dehydrated meals for dinner. Throw in a few granola bars just in case.

With a new sleeping bag and new liner, the sleeping was much better. I still got cold (I get cold easy and have just accepted it will be a cold hunt) but got a lot better sleep. Also went with a new thermarest pad which is much better than the Klymit pad I had the first trip. I wore my actual hunting clothes this go around (Kryptek gear) and was way better off than the first trip. It was also a good way to test the clothing and make sure it fits well wears well, which it did.

I'm fine tuning the loadout for the hunt but the plan is to coordinate equipment better for the hunt than what we've done on scouting trips. Two survival kits between the four of us, two first aid kits between the four of us, etc, instead of everyone carrying one of everything. I also learned not to throw your pack together a few hours before leaving. You tend to forget stuff, but I think this links back to life being busy more than poor planning. I'm leaving for the first week on the 18th, so my pack will be put together this weekend and ready to go, just in case something is forgotten, there is still time to add it.

I've been able to turn up goats in each of the scouting trips, but have concerns about hunting those areas during the hunt. The main concern being trying to come down steep inclines while boulder hopping if there is any snow on the ground and extra weight in the packs. I know goats are in hard to get to areas and there is going to be a climb no matter what, but no goat is worth anyone getting hurt. So the opening week plan is to hunt an area I have not scouted. It's a big roll of the dice but knowing it is a safer egress while still knowing there are goats in the area I feel is worth the roll of the dice. If it does not work out, we will have to call an audible for the second week and hunt a different area. Maybe I am being too worried about the decent down and guys with more experience can chime in tell me I'm being paranoid for no reason and open options back up again.

One question I would like some feedback on though is, how much extra weight do we need to plan on bringing out. Specifically looking for estimates on what the cape and head will weigh and what the meat weight is, if it's boned out or if it's just quartered. To me about 175-200 pounds total seems about right for boned out meat, but I am probably way off.

Absolute max boned meat weight will be about 130lbs, but likely much less. I'd guess average is under 100lbs, if you get EVERYTHING. Hide and head will be another 40-60, depending on hooves and how clean you skin it.

Absolute max boned meat weight will be about 130lbs, but likely much less. I'd guess average is under 100lbs, if you get EVERYTHING. Hide and head will be another 40-60, depending on hooves and how clean you skin it.

What size goats are you guys shooting? I’ve been on @ nine successful goat hunts over the years between mine and friends hunts and those weights are more than most of the live weights of goats harvested. Goats have a huge gut wad and are large boned with surprisingly little meat for their size.

Figure 60-80lbs of meat and 30lbs head and full hide for a mature billy.

What size goats are you guys shooting? I’ve been on @ nine successful goat hunts over the years between mine and friends hunts and those weights are more than most of the live weights of goats harvested. Goats have a huge gut wad and are large boned with surprisingly little meat for their size.

Figure 60-80lbs of meat and 30lbs head and full hide for a mature billy.
I'm with you on your numbers, but I was thinking the absolute most he could come out with.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BradenBowhunter148
Back