NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Kayaks?

GREAT review!

Question, if you watch this promo for the Hobie 360, would this resolve some of your primary noted cons or do you see the functions remain a con? In otherwords, if they were engineering to account for some of your concerns - would this address a few? Also, how did you feel standing and casting, catching, etc? Side note: I agree the prop is much more value for instant forward / reverse. The Jackson model allows the prop to raaise to a point where a person can clear salad caught in the prop. It's interesting you shared the prop is faster as that seems to be different than other reviews. I originally though the prop would be faster though the reviews suggested otherwise. Maybe I need to re-read / watch to make sure I didn't confuse the two. How did you feel about the high seat point of gravity? Still sound or ?

Much appreciated.
I hadn't seen this new drive. Yes, this might address some of my concerns about needing to make some quick and tight adjustments where a paddle works well. Probably wouldn't know until you try one out. To be fair, I never tried a Hobie drive, just the Pelican version, and you do hear that those Hobbies are quick. I looked hard at their Mirage Lynx because of the light weight and it seemed like people could get up to some good speeds.

As far as stability, the bigger the kayak, the more stable it was and the faster it was. I think I could have done back flips on that Old Town 132. I could still stand in the others, but they were a bit wobbly because they were smaller. But I didn't find that I really needed to stand to catch fish, so it wasn't as important of a feature to me. The high seat was a non-issue in the 132. If I had raised the seats in the shorter kayaks, it would have affected the tippiness, but not to the point of feeling like I'd flip it or fall out.

• I think a pedal drive is great if you like to troll, but if you are interested in other forms of fishing, it is not at all advantageous unless you are covering a lot of water to get to your spots.
Great post bowhuntmt. Just one thing Id add - in heavy currents or wind, fishing is extremely hard when paddling if you are doing something besides trolling. Then when you do catch something, your are at the mercy of the wind/current because its paddle, or fishing pole, not both. I fish in less than ideal conditions or the ocean though. Big advantage to the pedal kayak then.

Great post bowhuntmt. Just one thing Id add - in heavy currents or wind, fishing is extremely hard when paddling if you are doing something besides trolling. Then when you do catch something, your are at the mercy of the wind/current because its paddle, or fishing pole, not both. I fish in less than ideal conditions or the ocean though. Big advantage to the pedal kayak then.
100% correct. I could definitely see advantages there with moving water.

GREAT review!

Question, if you watch this promo for the Hobie 360, would this resolve some of your primary noted cons or do you see the functions remain a con? In otherwords, if they were engineering to account for some of your concerns - would this address a few? Also, how did you feel standing and casting, catching, etc? Side note: I agree the prop is much more value for instant forward / reverse. The Jackson model allows the prop to raaise to a point where a person can clear salad caught in the prop. It's interesting you shared the prop is faster as that seems to be different than other reviews. I originally though the prop would be faster though the reviews suggested otherwise. Maybe I need to re-read / watch to make sure I didn't confuse the two. How did you feel about the high seat point of gravity? Still sound or ?

Much appreciated.
I'm also a newb looking to get into kayaks. Do hobie drives fit other brand's yaks, or only hobie kayaks? That 360 looks impressive, is that the only drive that can move like that?

I'm also a newb looking to get into kayaks. Do hobie drives fit other brand's yaks, or only hobie kayaks? That 360 looks impressive, is that the only drive that can move like that?
As far as I know it's their most recent patent and no - I don't believe it is interchangeable with other company kayaks or other Hobie kayaks.

Be careful which year you view. Apparently, 2023 locked into their kayak molded frame. This year, due to 2023 model pressure cracks, they've made metal bracket hooks the system locks into along with a few other modifications.

I really like the instant 360* . I also like Jackson and Oldtown's high end fishing kayaks...

YouTube galore covering the pro/con for function in a variety of conditions.

Edit: To add, the earlier fin designs by all kayak make/models did not match pedal style instant reverse. That was the big advantage for pedal. Now. The 360* is a simple reverse of fins 180* and it matches + advantages of fin over propeller.

Last edited:
@Sytes ...I used to have a Nucanoe, I really liked the stability of that thing. I could stand up in it to cast or shoot ducks, and I bought an SUP paddle to use with it. Mine had a square transom so you could mount a trolling motor, but looks like they offer pedal drive now too.

I used to have a Nucanoe
Also another quality model for fishing kayaks - Thanks for sharing. They have an apparent great Warranty and Customer Service!

Specifically, I was checking out the "Unlimited" for its wide platform HOWEVER, their fishing kayaks are all based on electric propulsion (Unless someone as other info to help. I really like their warranty setting):

Along with that, Bonafide is a "Made in U.S.A." Kayak that is a very strong competitor...I keepfinding out more and more and it'sbecoming a dinner menu with too many top contender choices! haha! Becomes a challenge to find the best.

Canoe. I know kayaks are the rage these days but if you fish in pairs and sometimes have a dog come, nothing beats a canoe. I've spent 50 of my 56 years of life using one. It was a grumman 17 footer. My only complaint is the wind. So I sewed up a drift sock, or whatever they are called. Basically a nylon cone with a hole at the end. It was awesome when jigging for crappie. Canoes are very underrated. They are light, have huge carrying capacity and are great for fishing. When I was younger I would fish solo in it and stand on the seat for fly fishing. As I aged I was happy just standing on the floor. I caught a lot of bass and pike out of that thing.

Edit: I should qualify my above statement by stating that I also own kayaks. I built a mahogany 16 for sea kayak and today I use a two person whitewater kayak. Both are great. Canoe is better.

Last edited:
Some great price reduced value on the 23 models made our decision a softer landing.
We tried various types and wife was sold instantly on the Hobie Lynx. I was on the fence for the Jackson Knarr FD and the Hobie Pro Angler 12 360*.
Dealer offered us a great value to pull his Hobie inventory of the Lynx and Angler along with some add-ons. Overall, we saved a couple grand taking models off the showroom floor and...

We returned today from a quick run before the weather turned. 1hr tinkered around. I'd likely be as excited if I sat in the Knarr though $ for flesh, these Hobies' are darn fun!

This is a viewpoint from wife's 360 video camera (Insta 360) some amazon purchase that is pretty amazing! Technology! I want to pick one up for scuba diving! Haha!

*Next up is our camper. Thankfully, wife relented to camper travel use set for my Ram vs reduced for her Jeep. Soon, our days off will be spent touring to different waterways for short camp trips. It's been rough away from MT though this "escape" is literally with the shrink prescribed. Haha!

Can hijack the thread by asking how you all are securing them? I recently bought 2 and will be engineering them to the top of my crew cab pickup because I mostly will use them on trips that I tow the fifth wheel. They are 13 feet long so inside the camper is not an option, neither is attaching them to the back. Anybody securing theirs to the top of their pickup cabs? I currently have a Thule roof rack and a goal post style support enroute that I think will work.

Wife purchased this and it does all it's cracked up to be.

From Amazon.

View attachment 334145
Purchased this for the truck roof top (Amazon):

View attachment 334146
I have the exact goal post style rack coming and will mount a receiver hitch off the front of my bumper so it will extend out over my hood. I also have roof rack on order too. I never thought I would need a roof rack for a long bed pickup but here we are.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clinebj22
Back