Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Kayaks?

Sytes

Wife and I are transitioning from large(r) boat and AirBnB/VRBO/Hotel/Wall Tent to the idea of a camper (See other thread re: Campers) and a couple really nice (w/in budget) Kayaks. We both enjoy kayaking and I've had a blast catching large 20+# pike, etc from a kayak. Of course it is manageable with hand propulsion paddles, though we are looking at fin or propeller pedal (not battery) kayaks. Both of us intent to purchase same/similar models. Helps when a friend goes fishing :) We still have our original 12-14' hand paddle kayaks for cruising.

Watched numerous YouTube reviews and understand some good generalities between the fin and propeller.

Anyone have or looking into pedal/battery propelled kayaks and able to share the pro/con for the "why" you chose/considering buying (fin vs prop), brand, etc. I added battery in here as the proulsion involved has the same function. Impact, weeds, clearing fishing line, manuverability, maintaining fishing tension, etc

I understand Pelican is a less expensive option as they operate using early Hobie expired patent type propulsion whereas you pay much more to have the most current propulsion/function design. We're open to considering both. Weighing the $ vs the function.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not currently looking for a new one but I have an older Wilderness Systems ride 115X. It has a removable console for a fishfinder, battery, and transducer. The only thing I do not like about it is that it is not pedal drive. It was my first real kayak so I didn't realize how handy the pedal drive would be. If I get another one it will definitely have a pedal drive. A trolling motor would be nice, but I can't imagine lugging around the extra weight of a battery on top of a 70+ lb kayak.

Pedal drives are great if you have the water...I use mine mostly on rivers that get skinny and I usually have to do a portage or two over a 6-10 mile float so no pedal drive for me. Been using a feel free Lure for about 4 or 5 years...no complaints, enough room inside the boat for camping gear/provisions for a couple nights if needed.

Just finishing a week at the ocean kayak fishing and it goes well every year. Pics are of my biggest fish I caught with my son on day 1.

90% of the other people out there use pedal kayaks, hobie specifically. Lots of them older models. Even my friends who arent here use hobies with pedals. Hands free fishing, fins cut weeds better than the props, built well. $$$ and thats why I have a cheap but well set up lifetime kayak. I just have a hard time stomaching a $1500 kayak, new for some brands, for hobie thats used. $1500 still gets me an aluminum boat and motor that can go on top of my truck while I tow my 30' travel trailer. But theres always a way to get your gear to your destination. Thats said, if they drop in price more to under $1k for a pedal kayak, Im probably in. One other thing to note is out of the 15 hobies here at the campground, not one came on top of a truck, all came on kayak trailers because of their weight.

If you watch Split Milt Productions on the youtubes, he went from pedal drive to battery powered then back. The minimal range and additional weight is what he didnt like, but he would do 20+ miles in a trip. Also consider that you may need to register a battery powered yak as a motorized vessel.

IMG_6884.jpeg
IMG_6853.jpeg
IMG_3117.jpeg
Also carried 2 more kayaks inside my rv for a total of 4 for the trip.

Wife wants our dog to tour along so... She's looking at the following:

I'm currently evaluating the following:

Jackson Knarr FD

Or the Hobie Mirage Pro Angler 12 360

Kayaks are like any other boat. You need 2 or 6 different ones for every scenario you might find yourself in. Go to an actual paddle sports store that offers on the water trials and see which one you like best.

Check out waterways USA. They have several brands they market. I have the angler 120 and love it. If I had to do it over I'd get the pedal drive but I opted for paddle and mounted a trolling motor. With five in the family it takes a bit to get set up. The kayaks are probably the most economical pedal drive on the market. Last I checked about $1300 without sacrificing quality.

So I went down the pedal-drive kayak rabbit hole last year, convinced I would like some version of a pedal drive. Over the course of that year I owned and sold an Old Town Big Water 132 pdl, a Pelican 110 fin drive, and a Brooklyn Kayak prop drive. I used them and fished from them in high mountain lakes and local warm water reservoirs. Here are my takeaways:
  • Prop drives were much quicker and easier to operate than fin drives.
  • Instant reverse of prop drives was a big advantage. Never tried one of the Hobie pull-the-cord things, but I don't think I would have like it.
  • Prop drives pick up more weeds than fin drives, but fin drives still do.
  • Neither of them did very well in vegetation.
  • A paddle is far more responsive for than any type of pedal drive, meaning you can much more quickly and nimbly make quick and tight moves, which I found I needed a lot.
  • I think a pedal drive is great if you like to troll, but if you are interested in other forms of fishing, it is not at all advantageous unless you are covering a lot of water to get to your spots.
  • Big, heavy kayaks are a PITA and I found that the difficult in dealing with the bigger and more complicated kayaks often discouraged me from using them.
  • I caught more fish from the basic kayak anyway. The pedal drive didn't give me any advantage.

So, for me, in the end, I got rid of all of them and stuck with a basic kayak with a paddle. Simpler was better for me.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like more details.

So I went down the pedal-drive kayak rabbit hole last year, convinced I would like some version of a pedal drive. Over the course of that year I owned and sold an Old Town Big Water 132 pdl, a Pelican 110 fin drive, and a Brooklyn Kayak prop drive. I used them and fished from them in high mountain lakes and local warm water reservoirs. Here are my takeaways:
  • Prop drives were much quicker and easier to operate than fin drives.
  • Instant reverse of prop drives was a big advantage. Never tried one of the Hobie pull-the-cord things, but I don't think I would have like it.
  • Prop drives pick up more weeds than fin drives, but fin drives still do.
  • Neither of them did very well in vegetation.
  • A paddle is far more responsive for than any type of pedal drive, meaning you can much more quickly and nimbly make quick and tight moves, which I found I needed a lot.
  • I think a pedal drive is great if you like to troll, but if you are interested in other forms of fishing, it is not at all advantageous unless you are covering a lot of water to get to your spots.
  • Big, heavy kayaks are a PITA and I found that the difficult in dealing with the bigger and more complicated kayaks often discouraged me from using them.
  • I caught more fish from the basic kayak anyway. The pedal drive didn't give me any advantage.

So, for me, in the end, I got rid of all of them and stuck with a basic kayak with a paddle. Simpler was better for me.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like more details.
GREAT review!

Question, if you watch this promo for the Hobie 360, would this resolve some of your primary noted cons or do you see the functions remain a con? In otherwords, if they were engineering to account for some of your concerns - would this address a few? Also, how did you feel standing and casting, catching, etc? Side note: I agree the prop is much more value for instant forward / reverse. The Jackson model allows the prop to raaise to a point where a person can clear salad caught in the prop. It's interesting you shared the prop is faster as that seems to be different than other reviews. I originally though the prop would be faster though the reviews suggested otherwise. Maybe I need to re-read / watch to make sure I didn't confuse the two. How did you feel about the high seat point of gravity? Still sound or ?

Much appreciated.

I have an Old Town Salty pedal drive which I really like. I’ve used Hobies a lot on guided trips but they’re too heavy and expensive for me to own one. There’s an excellent YouTube channel “Spilt Milt” that has tons of info comparing various brands and models:

I have an Old Town Salty pedal drive which I really like. I’ve used Hobies a lot on guided trips but they’re too heavy and expensive for me to own one. There’s an excellent YouTube channel “Spilt Milt” that has tons of info comparing various brands and models:
I've also heard Hobie has slid a bit from their once Gold standard and Old Town holds an overall mutual lead with a couple others when factoring all aspects. Apparently Hobie's warranty has become more response aggressive whereas before they held an almost Badlands warranty. Still learning though it has steered me slightly from my initial vaulted opinion of Hobie.

Haven't used pedal versions, but Old Town and Wilderness are to really solid kayak brands across the board.

Back