Idaho Unit 39 Solo Backpack Rifle Hunt

Farz-U-Know

So I'm doing the logistics on hunting Idaho unit 39 rifle hunt during the 10/27 - 11/9 time slot. I've read through the forums and I'm prepared for the sea of orange, that's what I'm telling myself now, LOL. Yes, I'm planning on staying away from roads by at least a mile. Right now I'm thinking 3-5 miles depending on terrain, etc. Yes, I'm in shape and working out prior to the hunt. Did the 14.7 high line trail hike last year in Glacier National w/o any training so I'm at least reasonable fit for turning 60 just after the hunt. This elk hunt is my treat for hitting the 60.

What I'm looking for is any assistance on snowfall during that period, I've checked the historical records and it looks like 1"-3" in the Grandejean camp area, not camping there but just using it for info. What's your experience during this time period? I'm packing a ultralight hot tent and planning for lows in the single digits and highs no more than 45. Second thing are there any others out there that are doing that hunt that might want to link up on car rental, dirt bike, etc? I see trails all over outside the wilderness area but I'm just not looking to rent a truck and dirt bike to cover those areas. I'm thinking the wilderness area currently, hike in and camp for a week at a time. I realize I'm the first and only one with this idea so there ya go.

Do any of you locals know where the guides go in the #39 wilderness such that I can avoid those areas. I'm assuming they would setup in the 6-10 miles in, which shouldn't be an issue for me, but if you happen to know that would be good info. Looking on the sat images for wall tents over the next month or two currently in an effort to determine locations for outfitters.

Thanks for any assistance you can offer.

Back