Kenetrek Boots

Idaho oufitters wish to expand opportunities

Wally Dog

Has anyone been following the process?
These are my comments after serving on the advisory board.
Your comments are welcomed.
If anyone would like more background on the process pop me a PM
WD

Idaho Fish and Game Commissioners,
I wish to take a moment to make a few comments related to IOGA/IOGALB's interest in expanding outfitted turkey and waterfowl hunting.
I've been a resident of Idaho since 1980. I've hunted waterfowl in Idaho since 1980 and turkeys since 1983 (when I harvested my first gobbler).
I also served on the first "Turkey Task Force" in 1999-2000, and most recently the Advisory Group representing turkey hunters in Idaho.
The position of Idaho's turkey hunters has not changed since 2000 when the most recent scoping was completed.
*We oppose any expansion of Outfitted Turkey and Waterfowl hunting in Idaho.
*Access is what the issue boils down to and if outfitters were to be granted the opportunity the acquire additional leased properties to guide upon, turkey and waterfowl hunters would be displaced.
*To date IOGA has not demonstrated any "need" and in fact available outfitted turkey hunts have been undersubscribed.
*Existing turkey outfitting license holders have not even reported annual harvest data as required in the 2000 Commission agreement.
*IOGALB admittedly has limited funding to enforce current outfitting, where would any additional enforcement monies or manpower come from…Idaho Fish and Game?
*Private landowners that wish to generate wildlife based income from their property have had and would certainly continue to have the opportunity the either charge a trespass fee or consider lease options.
*Outfitted turkey or waterfowl hunting is not the "end all" option for generating wildlife based income on private property and most certainly not a "right".
*Creating a PERMANENT moratorium is the most enforceable and defensible solution for IOGALB.
*The lack of outfitted turkey and waterfowl hunting will not impact non-resident travel to Idaho to hunt either.
*The negative consequences for thousands of hunters ought far outweigh the desires of a very small handful of outfitters and landowners.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I'm not a resident, so I don't know that I could be of much help. I see limited access, through outfitter leasing, as a deterrent to my hunting in Idaho, or any other state, as a non-resident.

I'm not familiar with the process or who is running it. In my limited experience I have to say the outfitters associated with the IOGA have been the most professional that I have dealt with across five states.

I understand your concern about restricting access to residents and DIY hunters. My concern is with Joe Blow landowner who sells Bill from Boise a "turkey hunt" and does a crappy job of it. If that guy doesn't have a guiding license to lose, then what is to keep him from being a fly by night illegal outfitter?

The Idaho Big game outfitting rules give individual outfitters geographic boundaries to operate in . That keeps multiple outfitters from hitting a "sweet spot " and stepping all over one another. Now I'll admit my experience is only with Public land outfitters who were good operators, But within the outfitters licensing board regulations there should be something that holds people accountable if they accept money for access or hunting. At least then there is a grievance process if someone pulls some shady stuff.

So please elucidate me on what the proposed changes are so I may understand just what you are proposing.

SITKA Gear Optifade Cover

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jg722
Back