Idaho for retirement ?

dgc1963

Well kids the time is getting their and Im thinking of hanging it up for a slower paced life starting to look at building lots near Salmon
a few other areas as well the reason of a building lot from just a lot to 5 acres is IM a builder and everything I look at in my price range I would have to do a lot of stuff to
Ive got it worked out to paying for the lot and build without a loan doing a lot myself to do it as I want . Im not going to build anything big just a 12 to 1400 sq ft ranch with a full porch an open floor plan
My Moms 90 and doing ok but just ok as long as she is still with me Ill stay in Pa but thinking of getting the lot sub out the foundation and get it under roof in the mean time
The reason Idaho is Ive spent many Septembers their over the yrs and know quiet a few great folks and just love the state

Reality- if you're a lifelong PA native, there is nearly nothing that can prepare you for a full winter (Mid-Oct until April) in Eastern Idaho, Eastern Montana, or the Dakota's. In the summer its hot, dry, and dusty, but the wind blows every day. However, in the winter time it's cold, dark, and wet, but at least the wind blows every day.
Wherever you end up, I wish you well and happy hunting.

Not sure how ID compares to WY but we retired.from NH to WY and heard all the horror stories from above.. HOWEVER nobody mentions humidity, or lack of it out here. Yes winter can drag on, and -25 is cold, but when we go back to NH for Christmas, WE FREEZE. 20 there seems worse than 0 here. Snow here is mostly a joke, it doesn't last long and wind blows it away. We get WAY LESS snow accumulation here and we live at 5000 feet. .The lack of humidity is key

We had planned to be in ID this week, but the well productivity on the place we put money on was not up to standard. So back to the drawing board.

Our plan is northern panhandle. More snow, more humid, than eastern ID. But I am simply not man enough for eastern ID winters. Wind. Cold wind. Lots of it.

ID is not the most retirement friendly as taxes go, but better than our New Mexico, it gets us closer to our grandkids, and more hunting and fishing than I will ever be able to put a dent into.

David
NM

Come on in.
We have quite the wave of boomers coming in post covid. I think 1/3 the population is new to the state.
Been passing in the right lane a lot lately. Lucky its only an issues for half the year because they don't like driving in the snow.
Hopefully I can score a lot of hoarded ammo and reloading supplies at estate sales in the next 10 years. :)

Salmon gets cold and foggy a lot of the winter time. They do get snow! There is good health care there and improving all the time.
There is traffic problems early spring through late fall. You're either dodging rafters or hunters. Forgot, get ready to breathe smoke and more smoke each summer. Either from local forest fires or some coming in from everywhere else.
Food can get thin in the store during this time. So you'll drive to Missoula for Costco for other shopping or Idaho Falls for Sam's Club and Costco.
If you're a foodie and like eating out you're going to be disappointed greatly with the selection of restaurants.
Scenery is great but you can starve to death on it.

Drop the attitude sit back observe, don't get pushy and help the neighbors when they need it. You'll slowly fit in. As for low house prices or land figure on pay a lot for either and I mean a lot. With the mines ramping back up housing is tight and pricey.

Also don't get uptight about builders or other types. Things stop for hunting seasons. Then they slowly get back to work. Then in the spring things stop again for salmon fishing and bear hunting. Also building season stops for the winter.

I traveled across Idaho on the interstate Thursday night on my way back from Wyoming. I've never seen such heavy traffic on that stretch. All in an extreme hurry. From Idaho Falls to across the ID/OR border it didn't let up.

Idaho has a pretty hefty 5.8% income tax rate but has fairly low property tax rates and sales tax is not as high as several states. If you aren't going to be having much taxable income in retirement the higher income tax rate might not be so bad and is offset by the lower property tax and sales tax.

Wyoming tends to always go toward the top of my list because they have no income tax, relatively low property taxes and although they have sales tax it is among the lowest of those that have it.

Here's a good breakdown of taxes by state. https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/fun-facts/states-with-the-highest-and-lowest-taxes/L6HPAVqSF

Last edited:
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
action
Back