Caribou Gear

Idaho Elk Unit 61 - late Muzzle Loader hunt - East or West side

I’m starting the hunt opening day and I’ll be there all week in island park. I’m going to focus on the west side of 20 near the park boundary as a start. I got some other areas I want to see on the west side of the unit out by hwy15. I’ll have a second week off work to hunt once the snow falls and pushes elk down. All I need is a little luck.
I will arrive in IF the 8th, my friends house. I got my s x s stashed with my trailer there, bringing a 16 x 20 wall tent with stove. Setup somewhere day before season, just getting ducks in a row, or trying. I am out for whole season and can relocate as the weather pushes me down lower. My s x s has a heater, I made sure when we bought it with late hunts in Idaho in mind. I have hunted around Harriman but not this late so I am feeling my way on this one.

I will arrive in IF the 8th, my friends house. I got my s x s stashed with my trailer there, bringing a 16 x 20 wall tent with stove. Setup somewhere day before season, just getting ducks in a row, or trying. I am out for whole season and can relocate as the weather pushes me down lower. My s x s has a heater, I made sure when we bought it with late hunts in Idaho in mind. I have hunted around Harriman but not this late so I am feeling my way on this one.
Nice,
We got an air bnb in island park. I got my SXS also. I do plan another week there around December 1st or after the first big snow.
It’s a new area to me but I’m pumped for a new adventure. That’s why I hunt new areas, to chase the great unknown. It’s a huge area.
Shoot me a PM and we can exchange contact info, always nice to know someone in the woods.
I got a buddy with me, we plan to glass and cover ground that week. Find an elk and make a move from there. This is my first ANY bull elk tag so I’m kinda partial to that idea. The bulls should be back in bachelors groups that time of year. In the higher transition areas before the big snow/freeze.

Nice,
We got an air bnb in island park. I got my SXS also. I do plan another week there around December 1st or after the first big snow.
It’s a new area to me but I’m pumped for a new adventure. That’s why I hunt new areas, to chase the great unknown. It’s a huge area.
Shoot me a PM and we can exchange contact info, always nice to know someone in the woods.
I got a buddy with me, we plan to glass and cover ground that week. Find an elk and make a move from there. This is my first ANY bull elk tag so I’m kinda partial to that idea. The bulls should be back in bachelors groups that time of year. In the higher transition areas before the big snow/freeze.
I plan to glass and look for them, I am trying figure out the pm part of this. I took will work near Yellowstone watching weather. I carry in reach mini 2 and a few other trinkets as I am usually by myself with my golden retriever. I put my email out but have no idea if it was the way to do it.

Elk will bail out of that country regardless of snow some years and some go north some south. Just depends on what they choose to do. Snow and temps can be really rough but luckily most snow is really powdery. When I lived in that country I never knew anyone that shot much on that hunt. People would complain they saw elk but conditions made it really tough to get to them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
action
Back