Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

I need Elk advice.

COrookie

Well I've been in my unit the last week scouting. My brother has a muzzy buck tag and I have a muzzy bull tag. I've found a ton of deer and located a few bucks so that's good to go. I've also found a few cow elk, took me a few days but the last couple days I've seen about 9 cow elk. My question is, seeing it's September, are the bulls near the cows? I haven't heard any bugles or seen any bulls near the cows. I'm still planning on hiking into a few areas that look like amazing elk habitat that are higher than the cows I've seen. Very glassable country. Or should I focus on the dark timber where I see the cows? What are some tactics you'd use to get on the bulls. Disclaimer, I'm absolutely trash at using a bugle call so all I have is a cow call. I'm also not backpacking I have a main camp and I'm planning on doing multiple big day hunts at various locations if need be, I've scouted a ton and feel good about it all but I'm also new to elk hunting and generally new to big game although I've been on a successful deer hunt before.

Well I've been in my unit the last week scouting. My brother has a muzzy buck tag and I have a muzzy bull tag. I've found a ton of deer and located a few bucks so that's good to go. I've also found a few cow elk, took me a few days but the last couple days I've seen about 9 cow elk. My question is, seeing it's September, are the bulls near the cows? I haven't heard any bugles or seen any bulls near the cows. I'm still planning on hiking into a few areas that look like amazing elk habitat that are higher than the cows I've seen. Very glassable country. Or should I focus on the dark timber where I see the cows? What are some tactics you'd use to get on the bulls. Disclaimer, I'm absolutely trash at using a bugle call so all I have is a cow call. I'm also not backpacking I have a main camp and I'm planning on doing multiple big day hunts at various locations if need be, I've scouted a ton and feel good about it all but I'm also new to elk hunting and generally new to big game although I've been on a successful deer hunt before.
What dates are the tag good for?

I’d think if you sat in an elky spot long enough blowing some cow call sequences every half hour or so, I would think eventually even just a raghorn would wanna come check you out…

If you found cows there will likely be a bull around sooner or later...

What dates are the tag good for?

I’d think if you sat in an elky spot long enough blowing some cow call sequences every half hour or so, I would think eventually even just a raghorn would wanna come check you out…
September 14th to 22nd so in a couple days. I attribute my success on my deer hunt a couple years ago to scouting the entire week prior to opening day so I'm doing the same thing this hunt.

I’m not qualified to give elk hunting advice but if it were me I’d hunt the timber. Probably not going to see a bull standing out in the open. Also, learn to bugle. If you’ve used diaphragm calls for anything else, cow calls, turkeys, etc., it will only take a hot minute to learn a simple bugle that could come in handy.

Been hot, bulls quiet during the days. Not loud when they do call.
Buddy's 6x6 was a quiet bugle and he ambushed him after a couple days. Cow calls.
He saw one big bull with half dozen cows. Quiet. Soft bugle boy.

Ya it’s just not in full swing. Out here in the desert we have seen lone cows, groups of bachelor bulls and large herds that were cranked up.

That's what I figured especially with it being mid September but I thought they'd already be giving out some bugles by now.
I have spent fifteen days on the mountain now... solo. I heard three bugles total up until the 9th.
The past three days things have started to pick up a bit. Weather has cooled some also.

Last year, same places the bulls were bugling their brains out by Sep 2.

I would say there are definitely bulls if there are cows. Bulls will be quiet and hold to cover until dark. I would scout those cows to see if they have a standard routine of say, visiting a spring or a small meadow at a certain time of day. It’s unfortunate that you aren’t good at bugling. Since you say that you aren’t, I would suggest using the cow call sparingly-your cow calling probably doesn’t sound much better than your bugling and more importantly you probably don’t know when/how to use elk calls-staying on the move with the elk, working the wind, antagonizing the bull. Sort of like the childhood game of Marco Polo.

Find one of those elky spots and do some cow calling...sooner or later you're at least gonna get a rag horn's attention

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rut
Back