Hunting elk with my 90-year-old dad

A year ago, dad broke a hip while changing a tire. He is 90 and still loves elk hunting near our family farm in northern Idaho. He kept at rehab and is back on his feet. He walks well and is remarkably strong, but gets tired so our hunts were just morning outings. Not like the old days in the backcountry, but we had a great time. Over four days we saw 100 elk, including some big herd bulls. He got a shot (ok, emptied his magazine) at a raghorn but missed clean. Stay tuned. I'll be writing an article about our adventure. Lesson: Keep at it!

You are both a couple lucky men. Your Dad for the ability to hunt at 90 and you for being able to join him on the hunt. Best of luck to the both of you.

I love stories like this. As one ages, reading things like this are quite inspiring. May you have many more hunts together and may you have the good fortune to do the same with your children.

That's awesome. My dad is 94 and still in great shape. He'd like nothing more than to be around here this fall deer hunting, but my step mom's health is not as good so they are staying put.
He killed a nice eight point whitetail 2-3 years ago when he last hunted with us.

Back