How to work a lazy bull

Bob-WY

New one for me today (yes I am fairly new at this)

Working a ridge line trying to sound like a lost calf, occasionally toss out a locator bugle.

Finally an answer, well sort of. Like a half hearted bugle, about 2 seconds, then 1 to 2 weak chuckles.

I moved in closer, hard to tell how far he was with limited response. Got a second equally lazy answer, closer. Pushed in closer. Eventually heard him again in a different direction, and further, then never again

What's the best way to play this? Or am I just out of luck cause he really doesn't want to play

Last edited:
Absolute unexperienced noob opinion: but calling (particularly bugles) seems to be a 50/50 proposition.

Need a willing participant, if he has cows it may drive him away as much as anything else
You've given up any element of surprise that may have existed
Cows already in the herd may not enjoy a new strange lady coming to the party
benefit in dense timber, allows you to locate bulls with your ears vs eyes
Find a bull looking for a fight, and you can bring him in on a string to you

Sounds like you are hunting either very early season or in a high pressure uint. My guess is the latter. Once you got a reply you needed to get out your GPS, OnX or maps and take a look at where you think he is. I would get your wind right and sneak in on him. If you got a reply during the middle of the day when they are in their beds, leave them alone. I never hunt elk in there beds. Save them for the evening hunt and listen to them and let them start talking. Patience will kill more elk or any other game for that matter. Call very very sparingly and other than a locator bugle, don't bugle. Once you get in where you think he is lightly rake a tree and see if you get a response. Snap a few twigs and see if he reaches out or a cow let's you know "we are over here!! Good luck my friend.

Sounds like you are hunting either very early season or in a high pressure uint. My guess is the latter. Once you got a reply you needed to get out your GPS, OnX or maps and take a look at where you think he is. I would get your wind right and sneak in on him. If you got a reply during the middle of the day when they are in their beds, leave them alone. I never hunt elk in there beds. Save them for the evening hunt and listen to them and let them start talking. Patience will kill more elk or any other game for that matter. Call very very sparingly and other than a locator bugle, don't bugle. Once you get in where you think he is lightly rake a tree and see if you get a response. Snap a few twigs and see if he reaches out or a cow let's you know "we are over here!! Good luck my friend.
Cool profile photo dude that’s a sweet angle

He either had cows and moved off because that’s what they do most the time. Especially a smaller bull why go get your ass beat and ladies taken when you can just wander off. Or it’s hot and early and he just didn’t wanna deal with you. I probably would tried moving in and sounding like a couple cows up feeding a smashing things and seen if he showed up quiet. If he didn’t would have waited for him to get up in the evening. I don’t hunt elk in their beds it’s a sin

Some great advice already given. I've been fortunate to hunt units with high bull to cow ratios and limited pressure with the exact scenario you describe. In those cases, calling was very effective and it played out just like YouTube university.

I've also hunted general/otc/high pressure units and learned some hard lessons getting in the zone and blowing it by using calls. As others have mentioned, often a bull will see you as a threat and retreat with his cows instead of coming to fight. I've also had cows take the herd away from my calls.

I'm no pro caller, but I'm no slouch either. That said, I truly beleive in some places you have to be on a pro level for calling to be effective. I try to keep my ego and check and adapt to the situation. Since my goal is to kill an elk, not call one in, I've become perfectly content with slipping in and playing it slow and quite.

Use your eyes and ears more than your calls and you'll kill more bulls. Calls are one effective tool of many, but if you never have to use them and bulls never know you're there you'll increase your success 10X.

Some great advice already given. I've been fortunate to hunt units with high bull to cow ratios and limited pressure with the exact scenario you describe. In those cases, calling was very effective and it played out just like YouTube university.

I've also hunted general/otc/high pressure units and learned some hard lessons getting in the zone and blowing it by using calls. As others have mentioned, often a bull will see you as a threat and retreat with his cows instead of coming to fight. I've also had cows take the herd away from my calls.

I'm no pro caller, but I'm no slouch either. That said, I truly beleive in some places you have to be on a pro level for calling to be effective. I try to keep my ego and check and adapt to the situation. Since my goal is to kill an elk, not call one in, I've become perfectly content with slipping in and playing it slow and quite.
Pro level calling is worth very little in my experience. I’ve hunted bulls who would have come in last place at the local elk calling contest…….

What do you guys think about starting with cow calls instead?

A couple of cow calls, then locator bugle to find/locate one who responds.

Then get over as close as possible to where you think the bull is; cow call on the way over and keep moving so he doesn't pinpoint your location.

Once inside 150-100 yards, if the bull responds hit him with a round-up bugle or lip bawl. If you're solo, get a lane and throw the call.

Pro level calling is worth very little in my experience. I’ve hunted bulls who would have come in last place at the local elk calling contest…….
I agree that animals can sound terrible and unrealistic themselves. Tone and emotion in calling are more important than perfect notes.

To be clear, I didn't say calling is the magic bullet that works every time, but one would be foolish (or in denial about their own calling abilities) to beleive great calling can't seal the deal on an otherwise call-shy animal.

Then get over as close as possible to where you think the bull is; cow call on the way over and keep moving so he doesn't pinpoint your location.

Once inside 150-100 yards, if the bull responds hit him with a round-up bugle or lip bawl. If you're solo, get a lane and throw the call.
Every situation is different without putting eyes on that herd it honestly could have even been 3-4 satellite bulls that are bunched up and they wondered off had that exact same thing happen last year got one bugle did a cow call set up about a hour later I watched all 4 bulls feed out towards where i figure the herd was.

Reactions: JAG

I'll caveat this by saying I haven't killed a bull with a bow, but I have extensive experience unsuccessfully working bulls so I can say what hasn't worked for me.

So here's my take: what do you gain by cow calling on the way over? The area that I hunt is heavily timbered and I rarely see large groups of elk; each group is generally a bull with a few cows. I've run into one solo bull; the rest had at least two cows. And every time those cows hear a sound, they're getting on edge when they don't see the elk that made that sound, so continually announcing your presence on the approach doesn't seem like it gains you anything.

I also don't think long-distance cow calls do a ton of good, as they just don't carry that far. I think an occasional locate bugle is useful, and up close a cow call can bring a bull in quickly but you need to be ready before you call. Same if you decide to go the challenge route. Selecting between those approaches is where I can't give advice as I've tried and failed with both - the only thing I can say is that if you can see cows and you cow call, they're gonna skedaddle right quick when they look your way and don't see another elk.

I'll caveat this by saying I haven't killed a bull with a bow, but I have extensive experience unsuccessfully working bulls so I can say what hasn't worked for me.

So here's my take: what do you gain by cow calling on the way over? The area that I hunt is heavily timbered and I rarely see large groups of elk; each group is generally a bull with a few cows. I've run into one solo bull; the rest had at least two cows. And every time those cows hear a sound, they're getting on edge when they don't see the elk that made that sound, so continually announcing your presence on the approach doesn't seem like it gains you anything.

I also don't think long-distance cow calls do a ton of good, as they just don't carry that far. I think an occasional locate bugle is useful, and up close a cow call can bring a bull in quickly but you need to be ready before you call. Same if you decide to go the challenge route. Selecting between those approaches is where I can't give advice as I've tried and failed with both - the only thing I can say is that if you can see cows and you cow call, they're gonna skedaddle right quick when they look your way and don't see another elk.
^this

If its open at all - and they dont see elk - they will get freaked out.

Best to call from behind some cover or not at all in my experience.

I’m a fan of Paul Medels stuff. Killed a lot of raghorns with it. And have come really close on a lot of exeptional bulls with it. I enjoy calling and also hunt a lot of timbered stuff.

Jeez if it were me I would do whatever you do to locate them, but once they have been found, I typically don't make a peep, especially if you have cover. Chances are you aren't fooling an elk with your calling, like was said before, you are just announcing your presence. If you know where an elk is, sneak in and go kill it, or post up and let them come to you. Always be mindful of the wind. You can fool an elks eyes and ears, but you can't fool their noses.

If you don't have any cover to close the distance, get as close as you can and then maybe do a little subtle cow calling, but don't just cruise around calling and expect an elk to come running.

Sneaking in on a potential herd of elk in a timber patch when all you heard was a bugle and don’t know how many eyes and ears or their exact location is a horrible idea. Has the makings of ya we got into some elk kinda story rather than a look at my grip and grin

Reactions: JAG
Sneaking in on a potential herd of elk in a timber patch when all you heard was a bugle and don’t know how many eyes and ears or their exact location is a horrible idea. Has the makings of ya we got into some elk kinda story rather than a look at my grip and grin
Not really what I meant but good idea lets just walk ridges and bugle every 5 seconds. How many archery bulls do you have to your name?

Not really what I said but good idea lets just walk ridges and bugle every 5 seconds. How many archery bulls do you have to your name?
I think he’s killed a lot 😂. You just gotta lip bawl them in man. Common!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meatball
Back