Caribou Gear

Horseback hunting - gear packing

WanderWoman

I want to do more horseback hunting and scouting, but one thing that drives me crazy while horseback in general is riding with a pack on. The bottom of the pack interferes with the cantle and you just get pushed forward/pushed off-balance it seems. I also like having the kitchen sink with me when hunting, which means there’s usually too much weight to put all in saddle bags (too hard on their kidneys). Basically, I’m a princess and want to figure out a way to be more comfortable, and not have to rely on taking an extra pack horse for gear—just use one riding horse. For those of you that do this more often, what do you use/do?

I have worn a small day pack diagonally; the bottom of the bag doesn’t hit the cantle too often that way, and it’s alright but there’s gotta be something more ideal? Like it’d be cool if there was the opposite of an upland vest where you could carry a few extra things that don’t go in the saddle bags (like a scope), big enough to put saddle bag contents into if you take off and hike, but sits higher on your shoulders like a backwards chest harness would but doesn’t interfere with your saddle, center of gravity, etc.

What are some of your tried and true techniques if you have any? Or am I just overthinking all of it, which wouldn’t be surprising either. I want the best of both (hiking and horseback) worlds, dang it.

Wanderwoman, are we related? I've dealt with this myself, and I'm not sure I have a good answer. Some packs won't work. Some I just tolerate until I get to where I tie my horse up.
One thing about taking a pack horse is that usually the two horses stand quiet together until I get back. Sometimes a single horse gets lonely.

And here I thought I was the only one! I do agree re: the benefits of a second horse, just wish there was also a good alternative!

ci021544b9d00c271a.jpg
My in-laws have a system like this and usually wear a small backpack they can use as a daypack.

I'm not a fan of that system Will. Your experience may be different. The tendency is to put too much weight in the cantle bag and saddle bags.

Plus getting on and off is compromised. just a 1/2 inch higher cantle is hard enough to get over much less the extra 4"of leg lift those create. Combine that with extra layers and you are asking to make an ungraceful dismount and risk a wreck. I've been there.

Wearing a backpack I can dismount with it or take it off before dismounting ( if your horse isn't spooky). Plus if my horse decides to walk home alone, I have my survival gear with me, rather than running at mach 1 back to the trailer. I also feel I can balance my backpack load better for my horse. On the saddle it is dead weight.

My rifle and scabbard adds 12 pounds to my saddle and my regular saddle bags could be another 10. that's 72 pounds before I hoist my fat ass up there.

So it is up to me to find a pack I can be comfortable with and plan my ride/hunt accordingly.

I'm not a fan of that system Will. Your experience may be different. The tendency is to put too much weight in the cantle bag and saddle bags.

Plus getting on and off is compromised. just a 1/2 inch higher cantle is hard enough to get over much less the extra 4"of leg lift those create. Combine that with extra layers and you are asking to make an ungraceful dismount and risk a wreck. I've been there.

Wearing a backpack I can dismount with it or take it off before dismounting ( if your horse isn't spooky). Plus if my horse decides to walk home alone, I have my survival gear with me, rather than running at mach 1 back to the trailer. I also feel I can balance my backpack load better for my horse. On the saddle it is dead weight.

My rifle and scabbard adds 12 pounds to my saddle and my regular saddle bags could be another 10. that's 72 pounds before I hoist my fat ass up there.

So it is up to me to find a pack I can be comfortable with and plan my ride/hunt accordingly.
I agree. I’m pretty concerned about too much weight in their kidneys. I packed a tripod and trekking poles behind my saddle once to facilitate some steep hiking and glassing and I learned real quick how even an inch or two less clearance can make it harder to throw a leg over. Particularly in layers/hiking boots.

I definitely ride with an inreach/cell phone attached to my person vs. in a saddle bag in case I get separated from my horse. But even a bino harness can get in the way sometimes when climbing a steep hill or ducking under a limb. (I know I’m being nitpicky now.)

Some a lot of it for me may be getting used to it too. I never ride with a lot of gear unless I’m doing a big extensive trip, otherwise I carry just the minimum.

Thanks for sending that website; going to check her out!

You can try a modified saddle pannier system where the saddle carries most of the gear but is placed to avoid pressure points on the horse. The pack system distributes the load evenly on either side, allowing you to still carry enough gear for extended trips without overloading a single part of the horse’s body.

Just wear a back pack with the essentials. That way when your horse dumps you in the wilderness your not left stranded with nothing.

I just tighten the waistband on my pack so that it stays above my hips and am very comfortable. I don’t carry much in my saddlebags maybe an extra Nalgene-nothing essential. I’ve also always heard of big heavy saddlebags being too much for the horse’s kidneys but I’ve never witnessed it. I think the kidney thing a nonissue as long as you aren’t riding a hot weather marathon or on an ancient horse that’s in poor health. However I have seen less experienced riders over fill their saddlebags with dumb shit then almost kill themselves getting hung up on them while trying to get on/off or when they snag on a tree at a sketchy spot on the trail. The elk woods are the last place I want to be involved in a horse accident. Everything I might need while out hunting stays in my pack. It sucks when you hike a mile and realize you forgot your trekking poles or lunch in your saddle bags. If I have a backcountry camp I’ll have a packhorse with me anyway which gives me plenty of extra room to stash something cool that I might find on the trail…but I much prefer to leave my horses at home or on the high line until I’ve got quarters to pack. In 15 years of hunting with horses I’ve only a few times spotted elk from horseback/trail and never had a chance to jump off and kill something other than maybe a fork horn muley. All of my kills have been off trail while hiking (because It’s too cold for me to sit). I don’t consider myself hunting until I tie the horse up. The other thing I’ve had happen to me is that after a 3 mile ride I tie up my horses, find a herd or a bull that I track for another couple miles-in this scenario I have to hike back to my horses before I can get back to camp when I could’ve just hiked straight back to camp-makes for an unnecessarily long night. Once I kill something I hang/stash the quarters and go get the horses-even if I have to drive an hour back home to get them.

I just tighten the waistband on my pack so that it stays above my hips and am very comfortable. I don’t carry much in my saddlebags maybe an extra Nalgene-nothing essential. I’ve also always heard of big heavy saddlebags being too much for the horse’s kidneys but I’ve never witnessed it. I think the kidney thing a nonissue as long as you aren’t riding a hot weather marathon or on an ancient horse that’s in poor health. However I have seen less experienced riders over fill their saddlebags with dumb shit then almost kill themselves getting hung up on them while trying to get on/off or when they snag on a tree at a sketchy spot on the trail. The elk woods are the last place I want to be involved in a horse accident. Everything I might need while out hunting stays in my pack. It sucks when you hike a mile and realize you forgot your trekking poles or lunch in your saddle bags. If I have a backcountry camp I’ll have a packhorse with me anyway which gives me plenty of extra room to stash something cool that I might find on the trail…but I much prefer to leave my horses at home or on the high line until I’ve got quarters to pack. In 15 years of hunting with horses I’ve only a few times spotted elk from horseback/trail and never had a chance to jump off and kill something other than maybe a fork horn muley. All of my kills have been off trail while hiking (because It’s too cold for me to sit). I don’t consider myself hunting until I tie the horse up. The other thing I’ve had happen to me is that after a 3 mile ride I tie up my horses, find a herd or a bull that I track for another couple miles-in this scenario I have to hike back to my horses before I can get back to camp when I could’ve just hiked straight back to camp-makes for an unnecessarily long night. Once I kill something I hang/stash the quarters and go get the horses-even if I have to drive an hour back home to get them.
Also I’ve had lots of stuff get broken inside my saddle bags.

I want to do more horseback hunting and scouting, but one thing that drives me crazy while horseback in general is riding with a pack on. The bottom of the pack interferes with the cantle and you just get pushed forward/pushed off-balance it seems. I also like having the kitchen sink with me when hunting, which means there’s usually too much weight to put all in saddle bags (too hard on their kidneys). Basically, I’m a princess and want to figure out a way to be more comfortable, and not have to rely on taking an extra pack horse for gear—just use one riding horse. For those of you that do this more often, what do you use/do?

I have worn a small day pack diagonally; the bottom of the bag doesn’t hit the cantle too often that way, and it’s alright but there’s gotta be something more ideal? Like it’d be cool if there was the opposite of an upland vest where you could carry a few extra things that don’t go in the saddle bags (like a scope), big enough to put saddle bag contents into if you take off and hike, but sits higher on your shoulders like a backwards chest harness would but doesn’t interfere with your saddle, center of gravity, etc.

What are some of your tried and true techniques if you have any? Or am I just overthinking all of it, which wouldn’t be surprising either. I want the best of both (hiking and horseback) worlds, dang it.
Most important of all is a good pack saw. Clearing trail, getting your horse out from under dead fall, etc

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 5
…and the only thing worse than realizing that you forgot your lunch in the saddlebags is coming back to find your lunch on the ground trampled and covered with dirt and horseshit

I'm not super experienced but I think a lot depends on the person's weight, fitness, and how they carry themselves in a walk/trot. They say 20% with tack is a full load. I see people at riding events and the woman is like 300 lbs, I feel really bad for the horse. It's not right on the animal unless they are riding a draft, but their ass are so big they can't get up on a horse over 14 hands. I also think that keeping the tack balanced, whether it's the rifle, saw, lunch, binoculars, watee/beer/soda, etc. I think keep as much weight on the horses shoulders and using your stirrups.

I'm leaving my horse at camp in either a electric fence or steel panels with food/water and going hunting on foot. Once I shot something I will use saddle panniers to pack out half or use a game sled and drag out the quarters in a otter sled. I have ridden up on a bull once in Colorado while we were packing out an elk but I think it was a fluke. Ridden up on lots of deer, but I want to pretty quiet and I'm not very confident about riding a horse two hours before daylight in the dark on snowy icy trails.

Attachments

• 20240812_114529.jpg
    20240812_114529.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 8
I also prefer just to bring a second horse. This helps get animals out in one trip having a pack saddle on one and a set of saddle panniers. But on day hunts I have liked the badlands monster fannypack. Tie it on like a cantle bag or wear it. Perfect size for kill kit, small first aid kit, snacks, and fire starter.

You can try a modified saddle pannier system where the saddle carries most of the gear but is placed to avoid pressure points on the horse. The pack system distributes the load evenly on either side, allowing you to still carry enough gear for extended trips without overloading a single part of the horse’s body.
Do you have a link for more info on this?

I have had some success with a smaller pack hiked up high and tightened around my stomach; it’s uncomfortable but has worked, or carried the pack diagonally across my back too. But again, I just hate having stuff on me while I ride or anything that makes me feel more top heavy.

I’m definitely not planning on using a horse to spot game or expect to get a shot near the horse; I’m wanting to get in further and then hike. Because of my work (and husband’s work) schedules I don’t often do overnight hunts so trying to cover more ground during my day hunts.

Then the horse also comes in handy for either the packout (with saddle panniers) or walk-out of defeat. So far I’ve primarily only used her once something is down for retrieval, but want to add to the experience.

I am working on getting my second horse going but at the moment I have one I know is good and can take by herself. She doesn’t like ponying others so working on that still.

As far as gear goes I’m trying to figure out the best way to carry extra layers, 1st aid/emergency stuff, kill kit, saddle panniers, binos/bear spray/inreach/phone are all in chest harness/on my person, rifle, and then the luxury item(s) would be spotter, tripod, trekking poles. Pretty much everything I carry in my hunting pack so once I get to a tie up spot I can be gone for an extended period, with the caveat that that comes with risks. Also potentially hunting with another gal but she’s in the same boat, riding an animal and needing to carry her own gear, in which case at least there’s a second horse for company during the extended period they’re tied up.

So far it sounds like the best solution is a pack horse, or keep working at tweaking the saddle/cantel/pommel bag setup with my own pack, but I do appreciate the wisdom and experiences that have been offered here!

Last edited:
Most important of all is a good pack saw. Clearing trail, getting your horse out from under dead fall, etc
I don’t think that can be stated enough and I didn’t include that in my list above. Do you carry yours under the fender or in front of the pommel?

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishonfleek
Back