• Yes, because I have a family member that’s into it

Votes: 10 16.7%
  • No, but I wish I did

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • No, and I have no interest

Votes: 28 46.7%

• Total voters

Marshian

My 12 year old daughter is passionate about horses and has been taking lessons for years now. We bought a horse about a month ago now so that’s become a big part of our life. She’s a great kid and more than happy to do whatever is necessary for her hobby. We live in a subdivision so we have to stable it. I won’t lie, it’s expensive as hell and part of me already can’t wait until she graduates so I can extricate myself from it. But in the meantime, seeing her and my wife so enthused makes it fine enough. Curious other members thoughts on the matter. For the record, she is into English riding and I don’t foresee ever using it to hunt or anything like that. I’ve also heard all the talk about it being a good hobby and keeping kids and teens out of trouble, but part of me thinks this is a platitude to stomach all the money it requires.

Seen a lot of "horse people" who dont own ranches and such.

I dont at all mean to sound condescending - but owning a horse is much harder than a dog. Its much harder to train - and typically the people training/riding also need plenty of training. The people who enjoy it typically own a property that is conducive to it and have a history/upbringing thats been involved with it.

It takes more patience and time than it does money and theres no shortage of costs. Just my 2 cents...

My wife grew up on a ranch and is now an equine anesthesiologist, So we have a couple horses. Her and my daughter ride all the time and it’s 100% worth it for that part alone. However, most of the people my wife does work for are people into English riding and high dollar horse shows. English riding is essentially worthless for anything other than a hobby. Now, if my daughter was into it I would support her however I could. Horses are expensive and typically get worse as they get older.

Been horse poor for a long time. I need to find a picture of the daughter riding her own horse into the Eagle Cap wilderness, she was three. She is 39 now and still riding. If your daughter is not get her involved in a 4h equestrian program. Good luck, have fun.

Last edited:
Yes and no.

Have one horse left which I kept for MissT. She is 15 now. Thankfully she is not the boy crazy type. Horses do not cure boy crazy.
I grew up with horses and figured out pretty early that getting a girl out on a horseback ride was worth the investment.

Boarding, veterinary, and farrier costs can pile up quickly. If you don't have a trailer you are paying the vet for house calls.

Worth it? - Hell yes. Warms my heart to look out the window and see MissT nose to nose with my big old gelding.

Says the guy whose starter went out on his truck loading hay from the field, had to pay to get it driveway delivered, is now finding himself very alone restacking it in the barn, and just found out the starter for my special dandy truck is gonna be $375.

Still worth it.

My wife was big into barrel riding when I met her and her family are crazy horse people. I knew what the deal was when I married her she came with a horse. Before my daughter was even born her mom was shopping for a horse for her. Luckily my son was never into it so it looks like I only have to care for two for now. Although my situation is a bit different already had 200 acres and barn so no paying for stables and I make more then enough hay for my livestock. I hate the damn things personally but do use them on hunts occasionally.

I had horses on and off growing up. Both of my young kids are taking lessons and if it’s something they want to pursue when they are old enough to help care for them, I will gladly get a couple.

I think it’s worth it if it helps teach them responsibility and have a hobby that gets them outside.

Grandpa always said there’s two things that scare a horse: everything that moves, and everything that doesn’t.

Seems like a lot of work lol love going out on my cousin’s Morgans to get deep into the mountains though.

If only you had horses several months back!!! You might still have a functioning tent!

Horses are so stupid expensive. Unless you're regularly utilizing them, they're not a good investment.

Met a few horse gals in college. In my experience, they're all nymphos, and crazy!

Like everything, "you get what you pay for". Buy once cry once!

Seen to many people get messed up on a cheap horse.

ive had a number of horses for years,,im now down to 1 and when she goes im done,,hayburners are fun but they are a endless moneypit.

Eating money and shitting work.
That's the truest thing I've ever read!!!

My exs brother married a horse girl. She spends all of her money taking care of the horses and can hardly take care of important things, like her vehicle... the icing in that cake was that you couldn't even ride the horses... like wtf do you keep feeding them for then? Send em to the dog food factory!

My exs brother married a horse girl. She spends all of her money taking care of the horses and can hardly take care of important things, like her vehicle... the icing in that cake was that you couldn't even ride the horses... like wtf do you keep feeding them for then? Send em to the dog food factory!
I'm sure they have there place if your going to use them in the mountains. 99% of people with them in the midwest they're just big expensive pets. So that they can #farmlife 🙄

This is so true. We see so many people that own horses and do not have any property, pay for boarding, and don't spend anytime riding/working them. Or they invest every waking minute caring for them and making a complete job out of it. Neither one is a good idea in my opinion.
They can be way less expensive if you have 3-10 acres of pasture, can trim them yourself, worm them, keep stuff picked up to avoid injuries, and they eat about 3% of their body weight in good grass hay. And buy a weanling colt for $600-$1000 and raise/ train it yourself. You will probably end up a good trained horse and your daughter will learn tons.
I don't know anything about English riding so my advice is probably out of touch

This is so true. We see so many people that own horses and do not have any property, pay for boarding, and don't spend anytime riding/working them. Or they invest every waking minute caring for them and making a complete job out of it. Neither one is a good idea in my opinion.
They can be way less expensive if you have 3-10 acres of pasture, can trim them yourself, worm them, keep stuff picked up to avoid injuries, and they eat about 3% of their body weight in good grass hay. And buy a weanling colt for $600-$1000 and raise/ train it yourself. You will probably end up a good trained horse and your daughter will learn tons.
I don't know anything about English riding so my advice is probably out of touch
I agree on the expenses side of things. If my wife didn’t work at a vet clinic I wouldn’t own horses at all. We have one that’s missing a tongue and has also had two colic surgeries. It helps that we have plenty of acres for pasture and are able to trade hay as well. They can be an absolute money pit!

. And buy a weanling colt for $600-$1000 and raise/ train it yourself. You will probably end up a good trained horse and your daughter will learn tons.
This is very dangerous advice unless you have someone with the experience to show them how.
Kids need a bomb proof horse to show them the ropes. There is a reason old horses are known as babysitters.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back Tracker
Back