Yeti GOBOX Collection

Help which rifle to buy

Papsqueeg

So i want a new 300 win mag and can't decide. I have about 400 rnds of federal 180 gr soft points and 200 rnds of federal premium 180 gr barnes tsx factory ammo. I am considering a winchester XPR with 1 in 10 twist or a browning xbolt western hunter long range 1 in 8 twist both have 26" blued barrels. The winchester is $620.00 and browning $820.00 not concerned about price am more interested what twist for the ammo i have for elk hunting. Any input would be appreciated thanks in advance DAN.

And, this is how I had so many rifles at one point. I now have a custom 7mm-08 and a custom 338 Win Mag. Those two rifles together will kill something dead with one shot for every tag I have ever drawn. I found that limiting my rifles to two allowed more time behind the scopes of each and built my experience faster judging wind drift, bullet drop, etc. I also limited each rifle to one and only one load.

Add in two muzzleloaders (scope and no scope), two shotguns and a handgun for each of us and I have room in my gun safe for binos, etc, when at one time was like playing Jenga just to close the door of the safe when only held guns.

Custom is expensive but add up owning 6 or 10 rifles and the math starts to look less painful. I get the trigger, length, stock, etc, that makes me more accurate.

Its getting harder and harder to make a really bad choice. Its down to the little things now. Everyone of pretty much in the game with an decent accurate rifle.

Tikka and browning are great IMO. I am now more on the semi custom or higher end scale of things. Accuracy and weight are my big points and I am willing to pay for it. Get a gun with OK accuracy and spend $500 in ammo trying to find the best load, may have been better spent with a better rifle to start with. Yes different ammo can still matter.

There's very little aftermarket support for both the Browning and Winchester.

The win uses their MOA trigger, which is decent, but only goes down to 3.5lb.
The x bolts I've had in the shop were a 4-5lb trigger at best. The M-Carbo spring would only take them down to around 3lb and it's a pain to install. Timney makes triggers for both.

I think the stock on the Browning is better. The short bolt throw on both is nice. They both shoot well. The XPR uses a separate recoil lug similar to Tikka. They are both kind of a pain to correctly bed.

As for the twist rates, the 1:8 will stabilize the heaviest of bullets. You really don't need to worry about over stabilization for any bullet designed to be shot from a magnum. Mag length will be your limiting factor. The 1:10 will handle up to 220-230 gr unless shooting mono's.

With all that said, if I were buying an off the shelf 300 Win, I'd get a Tikka.

I like my Weatherby Model 307 in 7RM, they do have a 30-06 option. You get a lot of gun for the price. Mine has been accurate as hell. Not ideal if you're beating bush, they got a long barrel on the long actions, but for Western hunting and the longer pokes it comes with, its been perfect for me.

I like my Weatherby Model 307 in 7RM, they do have a 30-06 option. You get a lot of gun for the price. Mine has been accurate as hell. Not ideal if you're beating bush, they got a long barrel on the long actions, but for Western hunting and the longer pokes it comes with, its been perfect for me.
I'm sure the Model 307 action is a good one but I picked up the MeatEater version at Scheels the other day and I was shocked how flexible the stock was. Takes no pressure at all for the stock to contact the barrel. Id lean Vangaurd at your price point.

I'm sure the Model 307 action is a good one but I picked up the MeatEater version at Scheels the other day and I was shocked how flexible the stock was. Takes no pressure at all for the stock to contact the barrel. Id lean Vangaurd at your price point.

I've heard/read people complain about that. My plan has always been to drop it into an Oryx, but the stock it comes with has had no effect on the accuracy that I've seen, so now I'm wondering whether I should even bother. If I can cloverleaf at 500m, the stock isn't doing all that much negative.

A Tikka in his pricepoint has a Tupperware stock. Browning stocks are good, I have a couple X-Bolts and they always impress with the quality.

I recently got Tikka T3x Lite. Mine is a different cartridge (7mm rem mag) but I’ve been very impressed with the rifle so far - I’d highly recommend it. It’s an accurate shooter with 160 grain TSXs and 162 grain SSTs (only loads I’ve tested so far). Recoil isn’t stupid, though the 300 will surely hit a little harder than a 7 mag.

Personally, I think either a 1:10 or a 1:8 twist in a 300 will be fine with 180 grain pills, but maybe there’s an angle to that I’m not considering.

I've heard/read people complain about that. My plan has always been to drop it into an Oryx, but the stock it comes with has had no effect on the accuracy that I've seen, so now I'm wondering whether I should even bother. If I can cloverleaf at 500m, the stock isn't doing all that much negative.

A Tikka in his pricepoint has a Tupperware stock. Browning stocks are good, I have a couple X-Bolts and they always impress with the quality.
I agree, and I just sold a howa with an Oryx stock and that stock was amazing. Clovers at 500? wow yeah I wouldn't touch shit haha. Tikka stock are Tupperware I will agree but they are modular and stiff with no flex.

Browning. 1:10, 1:8 don’t make a difference right now putzing around with factory 180 ammo. But when you get to hand loading big heavies over some Ramshot Hunter…send it. Another thing, everyone would agree the Browning is a finer rifle and wouldn’t you rather be content than suffer cognitive dissonance over the XPR?

Back