Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Having issues with sizing brass……

Been doing a lot of reloading lately and until yesterday I felt like I was pretty dialed and producing very accurate loads from short action cartridges to big magnums and some wildcats. I had an issue with a buddy’s rifle a 7 mega in a 700 clone action. For those who do not know a 7 mega is made by Sherman and is basically an improved 7 Wsm case. I went to resize some brass with a hornady custom die and ended up getting a case stuck. Originally when I got the gun and dies the smith had ground down the shell holder and gave instructions to set the die tight to the shell holder. When I did that it did not bump the shoulder back enough [im assuming] so I tighter the die a 1/8 of a turn till it slightly cams over. The brass then fit firmly into the action but smooth. This worked fine for 3 more loads with brass then this last time the brass was extremely hard to resize and when resized only 5 out of 10 fit in the gun. So I regrettably tighten it another 1/8 turn and lodged the next piece of brass in the die. What did I do wrong and maybe I’m not understanding something or missed a key component to basic reloading that finally showed it self. It is a full length die also keep that in mind. Thanks

3 plus reloads with a high performance/pressure cartridge? They might be getting work hardened. Have you tried annealing them?

3 plus reloads with a high performance/pressure cartridge? They might be getting work hardened. Have you tried annealing them?
A friend mentioned this to me
And no I havent tried annealing
I’m afraid this might be the cause
Especially since the original load was super over pressured that the gunsmith originally loaded
We have 100 brass that have been fireformed with a light load that I’ve been saving for the final load
All I need is another 10 brass to test at long distance then I will be done

As the brass gets harder it gets harder to resize. It can also spring back more so your shoulder is not bumped back as much at the same die setting. What kind of case lube are you using?

I've had my best luck with Redding Imperial sizing wax. I agree that annealing is important to longevity, as well as quality brass.

One shot spray
But I also have unique case lube
Brass was polished for a little while before sizing and de priming
One shot is good for cases that aren’t as tight as you are dealing with. Custom cartridges bring their own problems to the table and you have found one.

You need more body in your lube than you will get with one shot or any other spray lube. You need to get the sizing wax type of lube and put it on your cases sparingly but evenly with your fingers.

Do not force any case beyond what you can feel as you push it into the resizing die. You might want to push it into the die until you meet resistance, then pull it back out, turn the case 1/4 then and re insert it again, avoiding any severe resistance.

Going slow until you determine what will work, is your best bet. When you have had success with getting cases sized that will work, you should be able to replicate that once you get your sizing lube working correctly.

I have had a lot of experience with custom cases and hard sizing. Going slowly and not forcing anything is always a good idea…

IMG_5880.jpeg

One shot is good for cases that aren’t as tight as you are dealing with. Custom cartridges bring their own problems to the table and you have found one.

You need more body in your lube than you will get with one shot or any other spray lube. You need to get the sizing wax type of lube and put it on your cases sparingly but evenly with your fingers.

Do not force any case beyond what you can feel as you push it into the resizing die. You might want to push it into the die until you meet resistance, then pull it back out, turn the case 1/4 then and re insert it again, avoiding any severe resistance.

Going slow until you determine what will work, is your best bet. When you have had success with getting cases sized that will work, you should be able to replicate that once you get your sizing lube working correctly.

I have had a lot of experience with custom cases and hard sizing. Going slowly and not forcing anything is always a good idea…

View attachment 335348
That's an impressive loading room!!!!

View attachment 335348
I thought my benches were cluttered. You got me beat X2!
Imperial sizing wax is my go to lube with One Shot running second.

Another note when using OneShot - you need to make sure you have good coverage, but probably more important is s that you give it plenty of time for the solvent to dry.

If you immediately ran it back into the die after turning the sizer down another 1/8 of a turn without relubing it, that co7ld be your problem why it stuck.

Another note on using One Shot, or any spray lube, is I stick my brass in a sandwich bag and spray it well. Then seal the bag up and tumble it around for a few seconds. It gives complete even coverage then put them in a loading tray to dry

View attachment 335348

Originally when I got the gun and dies the smith had ground down the shell holder and gave instructions to set the die tight to the shell holder.
I only have one caliber which I have thinned down my shell holder for. It is a straight walled auto pistol cartridge. I do not recommend it. I would prefer the base of the die be ground. There is a point where your shaved shell holder can only push, not pull. You won't tear the rim off a stuck case, you will pull the lips off your shell holder.

If found that my ground shell holder became unnecessary when I got a Lee Bulge Buster for that cartridge.

I'm just gonna say it - Any custom die that requires jiggering to work has quality issues. Your die is over head-spaced. You can back a die out, but there is a limit to how far you can crank it down. I prefer a cam-over for consistency. I also pause at the cam-over to let things de-stress before I reverse.

Yes annealing, yes more lube.

It’s been said before…Imperial Sex Wax.

I abandoned One-Shot 20+ years ago. Imperial just plain works…and I always keep a spare tin on hand.

One thing that I have learned.
If everything is right, it doesn't take much force with your press to do any function.

If the press seem tight, or use of excessive force, STOP!
Something is wrong.

I've made 6.5mm Rem Mag from 7mm Rem Mag cases.
Involves pushing the shoulder back about a quarter inch or so.
I've done it in my turret press also.
Just gotta take your time and not get anxious.

One thing that I have learned.
If everything is right, it doesn't take much force with your press to do any function.

If the press seem tight, or use of excessive force, STOP!
Something is wrong.

I've made 6.5mm Rem Mag from 7mm Rem Mag cases.
Involves pushing the shoulder back about a quarter inch or so.
I've done it in my turret press also.
Just gotta take your time and not get anxious.
If a case is hard [effort-wise] going into a die, it will be hard to get it back out.

With all the issues I had with some of the nickel plated 6.5 I just set them aside. Something in the back of my head keeps trying to talk me into resizing them to 22-250. They would be fed to my #1 22-250. PLEASE someone talk me out of it.

With all the issues I had with some of the nickel plated 6.5 I just set them aside. Something in the back of my head keeps trying to talk me into resizing them to 22-250. They would be fed to my #1 22-250. PLEASE someone talk me out of it.
Don't do it!!

Cats & dogs getting along.
Democrats and Republicans getting agreeing on things.

End of the world stuff.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishonfleek
Back