Caribou Gear

Happy Birthday America!

Celebrating the 4th as America's birthday has always seemed a bit iffy to me. The Declaration of Independence was a stab in the dark. Would it work? Could it work? Was it intended as merely a protest to wake up Britian to colonial reform? Did the founding fathers all intend to ultimately make a new country? Was it just talk at first? Then it became a fight. And surprisingly the colonials won. But then what? The Articles of Confederation were a total flop resulting in a small civil war, Shay's Rebellion. The signing of the Constitution might have been the foundation for a new country but it left the slavery question unresolved. I would argue that as a country with a genuine functioning government, America was not fully "born" until the signing at Appomatox.

Last edited:
We pre celebrated the 4th this year. My mother's side of the family held a family reunion this past weekend. She was the youngest daughter in a family of eight children. Her parents were both immigrants from Norway. They came to the country with little, but were looking for a better life. If must have been difficult raising a family that large during the depression. Anyway, I literally have cousins by the dozen on this side of the family. Many of us are close to the same age.

There was always some sort of family get together and celebration on the 4th. The kids played the parents in softball or baseball. That was always great fun. Now all of us are old and have grandchildren of our own. The gathering brought many of us together once again.

My father's side of the family has been here well before the revolutionary war. My middle name is from an ancestor who was a general in that war.

All of us have a similar background with ancestors coming for a chance at a better life.

At the gym, there is a woman from Great Britain who will become a naturalized citizen tomorrow. The story of immigrants wanting to be part of the American experience continues.

Is Canada day not celebrated much? Serious question.

Depends on where you are in the country. And also depends on your political leanings to be quite honest. The more liberal parts of Canada see any form of patriotism as an attack on minorities, pride is being Canadian is apparently a bad thing.

Celebrating the 4th as America's birthday has always seemed a bit iffy to me. The Declaration of Independence was a stab in the dark. Would it work? Could it work? Was it intended as merely a protest to wake up Britian to colonial reform? Did the founding fathers all intend to ultimately make a new country? Was it just talk at first? Then it became a fight. And surprisingly the colonials won. But then what? The Articles of Confederation were a total flop resulting in a small civil war, Shay's Rebellion. The signing of the Constitution might have been the foundation for a new country but it left the slavery question unresolved. I would argue that as a country with a genuine functioning government, America was not fully "born" until the signing at Appomatox.
3qzg9h.jpg

Depends on where you are in the country. And also depends on your political leanings to be quite honest. The more liberal parts of Canada see any form of patriotism as an attack on minorities, pride is being Canadian is apparently a bad thing.
It's not as patriotic as it seems for a lot of people here either sadly. Just another day that most feel entitled to get off of work to get shitfaced. Doubt many of them ever think of what it's actually celebrating. No different than labor day or memorial day and so on.

It is f#cling laughable to me when someone talks down on the U.S.A every chance they get but yet every fall they plan months of bird hunting in Montana.

Well you can just stay your ass in Canada.

1720114873769.gif

A customer came into my shop saw the 4 smoke poles hanging in the office and made a snide remark. The founding fathers did not intend for us to have guns with more then one shot. I decided to settle any further comments from customers. Lest we forget.
Happy 4th , be safe.

Attachments

• 20240704_144924.jpg
    20240704_144924.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 15
Back