Caribou Gear

Handicap hunting and our wilderness

Sytes

Last season I was denied the ability to use a wheeled game cart in my intent to pack in about 6 miles into the wilderness due to wilderness regulations as a handicap hunter. This would have been a tough gig though practical to pack in gear and pack out game.

I value our wilderness. I value the regulations as intended. I worked a wilderness with crosscut saw and horse packed work on 8 day treks over and over and over - Awesome!

There needs to be some discretion for handicap to access the wilderness. Some may think I should have been required to pay for a horse packed camp and game retrieval. I disagree. It should be a case by case setting. I am speaking of a simple two wheeled game cart...

I am not a lazy snob trying to sneak my way by abusing handicap options for hunters. In fact I had an opportunity of a lifetime for this season to hunt NM elk with incredibly seasoned hunter assistance/support! I declined... I am able to hunt on my own this season. Maybe not near as well as the past though extremely thankful considering.

I understand the handicap options have been sooo darn abused it has created a generalized perception of handicap hunting. All it takes is some lazy snob asking his/her doc to sign a form however, there are many who can really make the most of such options.

So my question - is there any future for discretionary authorization for handicap hunting the wilderness - or is it black and white with no exception from here on end?

/end of a bit of a rant.

Last edited:
Tough question for sure. IMHO there should be discretionary authorization, but like you said yourself, there would be lazy snobs that would try to abuse it. I saw wheel tracks in the BOB in 2011 but where they came from I have no clue.

Sytes,

I completely get where you are coming from but the Wilderness Act is clear that no mechanized use can occur. Currently that is defined as bicycles, game carts, basically anything with wheels. There are specific exemptions based on pre-existing uses in Wilderness Study Areas for the maintenance of livestock tanks, etc, but they are extremely limited. The basic concept of wilderness to maintain a wild setting where nature is the predominant force, not man. It means that some hard rules are set. And generally that means no exceptions when it comes to recreational use regardless of merit.

Here's a good website that deals with the 1964 Wilderness Act, it's intent and it's language.

That's why there's been a move to protect remaining Roadless and WSA's that currently allow for game carts under different designations. The Rocky Mountain Front Heritage Act is the best example of this. We developed a new designation, the Conservation Management Area that allows for all existing uses as they are managed through the existing Travel Management Plan.

I hear ya. That's a real bummer.

I doubt if it will change though.

Good news is, there's lots of good hunting on non-wilderness lands!

So my question - is there any future for discretionary authorization for handicap hunting the wilderness - or is it black and white with no exception from here on end?
I do not think there will ever be any discretionary authorization for a recreational endeavor. Heck, it's very rarely even allowed for much needed management like fire suppresion, fire stabilization/rehad, or weed control. Though I can understand where you are coming from, I think allowing discretionary authorization would lead to widespread abuse and weaken both the idea of and protection of wilderness.

Ya, I figure the same... pretty much black and white... I can appreciate the intent though It was really rather defeating to one wanting to minimize impact and access a part of our beautiful country.

I'll go further with this... once my wilderness camp location was ruled out I looked into my other area outside the wilderness. I sought to have a gate opened to transport my gear then drive back to the gate and have it locked. I would then cycle the road 10 miles and set up camp and make my goal to hike the hills and hunt. Once complete, I would break down camp, cycle back out, contact the forest service station and request to access my camp to load up.
I again was not seeking to take advantage - rather minimize my additional needs and effect. I was not seeking the "I want to hunt roads others can not from my truck" as a sap who is taking advantage of disabled options.

I was advised NO access was available. NW MT is extremely limited to such options that I may want to look down in Dillon area where there may be a road or two the forest service may open for me.

WOW! - Okay... next plan... and my thread on my hunt 7 months after paralysis came to be. I loved every second of my time breathing that mtn air, enjoying the camp fire camaraderie and tripping around the hillsides... :)

I supported and still do proudly support disabled veterans... I will say though having experienced disability myself and valuing the great mountains - I look at this issue with new eyes. I am about 70% of who I was though if I can do it myself - damn straight I will. I am learning to humble myself and seek other means when realizing it just may be a tad out of my reach.

I'll tell ya, for someone wanting to get out and hunt. Wanting to get in to the country... A truly disabled person is extremely limited in options - least in NW MT.

I know there are bigger fights though somewhere disabled people, vets and non vets could really use some focus on current and future reviews of our forests.

What about using a pack llama? They are available for rent and far cheaper than a horse.

I deal with a very similar situation with my Dad. He had to have three of his lumbar vertebrae fused about 5 years ago. To boot, three months ago he had his hip replaced. Finding good, remote hunting opportunities is a challenge and "wilderness" is out, but we have had great success in areas where no motorized vehicles are allowed. It is sort of a happy medium.

The Kootenai National Forest has several disabled hunter access programs run through each ranger district. Each district has several gated roads that can be accessed. They have a drawing preseason for authorized handicap hunters. If you draw a permit, they give you the key to a specific gated road and you have exclusive vehicle access to that road for your time period.

Another option...If you look at Forest Service Travel Plan Maps, you can usually find roads that are open during archery season, but closed during rifle season. I know several people that drive their camp in during archery, walk or ride a bike in to hunt rifle season, and either pack out their camp on their back or wait till after the season and retrieve it with a snowmobile.

The Kootenai National Forest has several disabled hunter access programs run through each ranger district. Each district has several gated roads that can be accessed. They have a drawing preseason for authorized handicap hunters. If you draw a permit, they give you the key to a specific gated road and you have exclusive vehicle access to that road for your time period.

Another option...If you look at Forest Service Travel Plan Maps, you can usually find roads that are open during archery season, but closed during rifle season. I know several people that drive their camp in during archery, walk or ride a bike in to hunt rifle season, and either pack out their camp on their back or wait till after the season and retrieve it with a snowmobile.

Good info - thanks Theat. I've met another that was in my boat - hoping to hunt. Maybe not this year though hopefully next depending on how the nerves/spinal cord want to recover. A huge unknown in the medical world or so I've been advised.
I'll dig in and contact some district offices.

Would be great to have a coordinated FWP/Nat'l Forest Disabled Hunter Link for contact info and potential options as well as restrictions. It is far better to simplify research for disabled hunters. Just as it aids hunters in general from frustration by simplifying websites - it is a second step along the road to prepare for the season.

Hmmm... maybe something I can develop - website wise. A site providing links to info... I searched for a site of this sort and nothing stands out - other than a mix of info on how the disabled hunter programs are abused, and one disabled advocate for hunters whom moved from N Dakota to Kalispell.

Pretty nice site actually. I hope you don't mind - Randy.
http://dhuntmag.com/

edit added: Cheers Jryoung. Sounds like your dad is one heck of a trooper.

Last edited:
Good info - thanks Theat. I've met another that was in my boat - hoping to hunt. Maybe not this year though hopefully next depending on how the nerves/spinal cord want to recover. A huge unknown in the medical world or so I've been advised.
I'll dig in and contact some district offices.

Would be great to have a coordinated FWP/Nat'l Forest Disabled Hunter Link for contact info and potential options as well as restrictions. It is far better to simplify research for disabled hunters. Just as it aids hunters in general from frustration by simplifying websites - it is a second step along the road to prepare for the season.

Hmmm... maybe something I can develop - website wise. A site providing links to info... I searched for a site of this sort and nothing stands out - other than a mix of info on how the disabled hunter programs are abused, and one disabled advocate for hunters whom moved from N Dakota to Kalispell.

Pretty nice site actually. I hope you don't mind - Randy.
http://dhuntmag.com/

I think that's a brilliant idea Sytes! I would imagine groups likes Wounded Warrior,etc could help with funding or at least try to find some grants to help offset costs.

I do not think there will ever be any discretionary authorization for a recreational endeavor. Heck, it's very rarely even allowed for much needed management like fire suppresion, fire stabilization/rehad, or weed control. Though I can understand where you are coming from, I think allowing discretionary authorization would lead to widespread abuse and weaken both the idea of and protection of wilderness.

Funny I have seen on Several occasions Forest Service on Quads pulling trailers behind them loaded with fencing and other equipment...saw some up by Flagstaff last year... at least 4 quads and trailers... going cross country off-road:confused:

Funny I have seen on Several occasions Forest Service on Quads pulling trailers behind them loaded with fencing and other equipment...saw some up by Flagstaff last year... at least 4 quads and trailers... going cross country off-road:confused:

What Wilderness Area was this?

Funny I have seen on Several occasions Forest Service on Quads pulling trailers behind them loaded with fencing and other equipment...saw some up by Flagstaff last year... at least 4 quads and trailers... going cross country off-road

Check your map. I seriously doubt that occurred in an established Wilderness Area.

If it did...it was in an exclusion.

FWIW, the BLM, FS, and State can authorize cross country travel, for administrative duties, outside wilderness areas.

What Wilderness Area was this?

It wasn't a wilderness area... but it was still off-road... and no "established" trail..... I am sure they were just doing a job... I was just pointing it out...As Buzz stated they have exemptions/rights.....If they were "tearing it up" or acting stupid... I would have called them on it.... I didn't say anything was wrong with what they were doing.

I know its about wilderness.... :hump:..... off -road is still illegal on most national forest land

It wasn't a wilderness area... but it was still off-road... and no "established" trail..... I am sure they were just doing a job... I was just pointing it out...As Buzz stated they have exemptions/rights.....If they were "tearing it up" or acting stupid... I would have called them on it.... I didn't say anything was wrong with what they were doing.

I know its about wilderness.... :hump:..... off -road is still illegal on most national forest land
Thanks for clearing up that your reply to my post that you quoted was not on topic. :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Get-U-SumOutdoors
Back