Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Gun Owners Don't Vote

I like the idea too, but it would need to be combined with a runoff election if no candidate got 50%. So much emphasis (time and $$$) is placed on elections these days, I'm not sure a runoff at the national level is palatable for the people or the party. Even in the example here (US House TX -23) 57,630 people voted in republican primary, but only 29,639 in the runoff.
No...check out instant runoff voting. Some nations use that. And it would do more to bring the parties away from the extremes that take control otherwise.

I'm always amazed at the amount of people who don't actually vote.
Most people just want to live and enjoy their lives. Unfortunately, it seems voting today is mostly about fear and anger on various subjects. Those two emotions are incredibly exhausting. Either people get motivated enough to vote on something and lose, or if they win they see no meaningful result. It's hard to get them to repeatedly sign up for the process.

Most people just want to live and enjoy their lives. Unfortunately, it seems voting today is mostly about fear and anger on various subjects. Those two emotions are incredibly exhausting. Either people get motivated enough to vote on something and lose, or if they win they see no meaningful result. It's hard to get them to repeatedly sign up for the process.
Thats a pretty large simplification.
Gun ownership does not automatically equate to GOP/NRA fidelity. For example, many gun owners want to see more legal enforcement to keep high capacity semi autos from being used against civilian targets. Including me.
Eh to hell with the NRA and the GOP too. GOA is a way better org than the NRA.

I'm always amazed at the amount of people who don't actually vote.

I feel like some people dont vote - for good and valid reasons. I didnt/wouldnt vote in a school board position where i was going to college for example - i had no idea on the issues for those canidates and just voting would be doing a diservice to the community. People dont/wont vote because they simply havent forumalated an opinon which is perfectly good reason to not vote. There are also people who have no idea how congress works (elective vs discretionary budgetting races to my mind) or the process works. I appreciate that they dont vote - i wish theyd form an educated opinon and then vote.

As one who has many guns and uses them frequently I am tired of campaigns that claim Candidate Y will take your guns. The Supreme Court has ruled quite explicitly that no person or legislative body will take your guns. Yes, there could eventually be some regulations about such things as large magazine capacities and some form of registration but not confiscation. Many Americans that also own guns are tired of the mass killings and are crying for a solution or two to move the needle a bit. Along with over-the-top gun accusations of the far right, some folk find these candidates unacceptable for other reasons as well.

As one who has many guns and uses them frequently I am tired of campaigns that claim Candidate Y will take your guns. The Supreme Court has ruled quite explicitly that no person or legislative body will take your guns. Yes, there could eventually be some regulations about such things as large magazine capacities and some form of registration but not confiscation. Many Americans that also own guns are tired of the mass killings and are crying for a solution or two to move the needle a bit. Along with over-the-top gun accusations of the far right, some folk find these candidates unacceptable for other reasons as well.
What solution? Theres probably half a billion high capacity magazines (greater than 10, 15, or 30 - not sure of your definition), or more in circulation. Any idea who wont turn them in if they are banned?

Magazine capacity is an overblown problem and would not be effective if put in place anyway.

What solution? Theres probably half a billion high capacity magazines (greater than 10, 15, or 30 - not sure of your definition), or more in circulation. Any idea who wont turn them in if they are banned?

Magazine capacity is an overblown problem and would not be effective if put in place anyway.
So is the solution to mass shootings in America continuing to do nothing?

When I hear people bitching about the current state of the country the first thing I do is stop them and ask them if they voted.

I don't even necessarily care who or why they voted for them, I just want to make sure that they voted.

If they didn't even have the time to vote, I don't have the time to listen to them complain.

Voting is super important.

A very current example of such resistance to mag bans is in play in Illinois while six lawsuits (AWB, mag capacity restrictions, etc.) are at SCOTUS requesting certiorari. The number of mags turned in is far below what is thought to be owned. The cases are not ripe yet, so it might be another year before any of them are granted cert and ruled upon by SCOTUS. People are waiting for those answers, IMHO. [All the more reason to vote.]

Does every problem have a legislative solution? What do you suggest?
Did you read the post from Flynarrow?
The solution is eventually going to be some regulation of high capacity mags and AR type weapons which are the most often used in mass shootings. Yes there are already a bazillion of them out there but something needs to change.
Nobody is calling for mass confiscation of any weapons. Perhaps a permit like the kind needed to own a fully automatic machine gun where they have to pay a yearly tax. I know this would weed out a lot of yahoos who have no business owning a firearm of any kind.
But anytime someone even mentions ANY type of gun legislation people lose their $hite.

To legally own a machine gun, you first have to apply for approval from the federal government. After purchasing the gun, you must fill out an ATF Form 4 application and wait for approval before taking possession of the firearm. The FBI conducts a thorough background check using fingerprints and a photograph required with your application, which could take 9 to 12 months to process. The gun will need to stay in possession of the previous owner until the process is complete.

In addition, you will need to pay a $200 “NFA tax stamp” for each weapon transaction. If approved, you will receive your paperwork in the mail, including a permit with the listed lawful possessor of the firearm. Only then can you take the machine gun home and possess it legally.

Did you read the post from Flynarrow?
The solution is eventually going to be some regulation of high capacity mags and AR type weapons which are the most often used in mass shootings. Yes there are already a bazillion of them out there but something needs to change.
Nobody is calling for mass confiscation of any weapons. Perhaps a permit like the kind needed to own a fully automatic machine gun where they have to pay a yearly tax. I know this would weed out a lot of yahoos who have no business owning a firearm of any kind.
But anytime someone even mentions ANY type of gun legislation people lose their $hite.

To legally own a machine gun, you first have to apply for approval from the federal government. After purchasing the gun, you must fill out an ATF Form 4 application and wait for approval before taking possession of the firearm. The FBI conducts a thorough background check using fingerprints and a photograph required with your application, which could take 9 to 12 months to process. The gun will need to stay in possession of the previous owner until the process is complete.

In addition, you will need to pay a $200 “NFA tax stamp” for each weapon transaction. If approved, you will receive your paperwork in the mail, including a permit with the listed lawful possessor of the firearm. Only then can you take the machine gun home and possess it legally.
Heres the problem.

The October 1 shooter passed the Nevada background check, which is actually more thorough than the ATF background check.

Making a fully auto weapon from a semi auto isn't hard. People have the knowledge and technology to do it.

Freedom is scary. With freedom comes responsibility. With responsibility cones acceptance that everyone has freedom as well.
Form 4 transactions are taking days now. In the event of the October 1 shooter, he was planning that for months. A background check and few day waiting period would have changed nothing.

There are plenty of crazy out there who sit on the sidelines until they snap.

Best option IMO. Be prepared. Carry every day. Be nice to everyone you meet, but have a plan to kill them if they attack.

Heres the problem.

The October 1 shooter passed the Nevada background check, which is actually more thorough than the ATF background check.

Making a fully auto weapon from a semi auto isn't hard. People have the knowledge and technology to do it.

Freedom is scary. With freedom comes responsibility. With responsibility cones acceptance that everyone has freedom as well.
Form 4 transactions are taking days now. In the event of the October 1 shooter, he was planning that for months. A background check and few day waiting period would have changed nothing.

There are plenty of crazy out there who sit on the sidelines until they snap.

Best option IMO. Be prepared. Carry every day. Be nice to everyone you meet, but have a plan to kill them if they attack.
Let me ask again, should we just continue to do nothing?

Gun rights are important to me but I won't vote just based on that . Perhaps he was a shitty candidate when it came to other issues?
Put forth better candidates and get more votes. That's how this works.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vpihlman
Back