Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Grizz 399

If you want a funny & interesting watch, there's a PBS documentary about her and her fanatics. One well known photographer in Jackson said she's filled his void of not having a wife and kids......

I grew up going to the tetons with my uncle for his work and I worked there for a summer. I got to see her a bunch over the years. I took some cool photos of her and some cubs swimming across the snake while I was fishing below the dam. Cool old bear though.

Too bad. Very cool bear.

There’s real risks to bears that kill them often, and there’s perceived risks to bears that basically never kill them but are often whinged about. We should focus on the former.

Article about grizzly bear mortality in the GYE published less than 24 hours ago.

And his piece on 399 today.

A "good" bear is often defined by humans by conforming to what humans would like a bear to be. In the case of 399, she was a "good" bear because she didn't confront humans and raised cute cubs for many years, and was very viewable. All well and good.

But what about a female grizzly bear which defends her cubs by charging humans in encounters where she perceives humans as a threats to the cubs? Is she no longer "good" for the defensive actions to protect her cubs?

Is she no longer "good" for the defensive actions to protect her cubs?
No. That is why in most such instances the bears are allowed to be free to go on doing what they do. There is always an investigation.

However, if the behavior becomes habitual toward humans or if the bears kill and consume a human ... then they become characterized as a "bad" bears.

I forget which documentary it was but it involved some NPS employees who, IIRC, said most other bears that frequented areas like she did would have been either relocated or euthanized. I believe her “fame” and visibility were the only things that led her to live as long as she did.

I forget which documentary it was but it involved some NPS employees who, IIRC, said most other bears that frequented areas like she did would have been either relocated or euthanized. I believe her “fame” and visibility were the only things that led her to live as long as she did.
Yes, I think you are correct. It seemed that Griz 399 was so photogenic and allowed humans to be near enough for viewing and photos that she was allowed to keep acting as she did, even with cubs in tow. However, overall that is an anomaly in that other sow griz likely would have had problems.

Perhaps it is time to make a push for more wildlife crossings? Sanke River Canyon is an unlikely spot for one, however.

A "good" bear is often defined by humans by conforming to what humans would like a bear to be. In the case of 399, she was a "good" bear because she didn't confront humans and raised cute cubs for many years, and was very viewable. All well and good.

But what about a female grizzly bear which defends her cubs by charging humans in encounters where she perceives humans as a threats to the cubs? Is she no longer "good" for the defensive actions to protect her cubs?
399 mauled a guy in the Teton Wilderness back in the day before she was famous. I think she also ran over a seasonal employee near colter bay who was jogging on a trail wearing headphones.

399 mauled a guy in the Teton Wilderness back in the day before she was famous. I think she also ran over a seasonal employee near colter bay who was jogging on a trail wearing headphones.
It is also suspected that she attacked that guy up in Grand Teton earlier this year. She does get special treatment, so it is hard to say if it was her or not. If it was, I'm sure the park wouldn't say. Also, a few of her cubs got into some trouble. I think at least one had to be relocated/euthanized. I'd have to look into that, though.

It is also suspected that she attacked that guy up in Grand Teton earlier this year. She does get special treatment, so it is hard to say if it was her or not. If it was, I'm sure the park wouldn't say. Also, a few of her cubs got into some trouble. I think at least one had to be relocated/euthanized. I'd have to look into that, though.
One male of the 4 cubs she had in 2020 had to be euthanized.

I heard second hand that when her cub was captured when she did a walkabout in Jackson people involved with the capture received death threats.

Back