Granby Lake Area Vacation

nontyp

Heading to the Granby Lake area for a family vacation in a few weeks. It kind of snuck up on me. My wife booked it and I just realized that it is coming up soon.

Just wondering if anyone has recommendations of things to do or places to go?

Grand Lake Lodge has a fine menu. ($$$-$$$$) I don’t recall what entree I ordered, but the brussel sprouts side was amazing. And the key lime desert ranks up there for key lime deserts.

The view from the porch and from your table if you are seated on the south side of the house gives an amazing view looking down over the town/lakes.

I tried shore fishing a few weeks back at Grand lake. A cow and calf moose decided to hang out between myself and the lake access that morning, I decided I didn't want to fish that badly.

Granby is a tough area, there's the lake, and the lake. Lots of good hiking if your family is into that, RMNP is great, but can also be a zoo/ inaccessible. I like taking evening drives down towards willow springs lake and look for deer/elk/pronghorn. Renting a pontoon on granby is always a good time as well.

Thanks guys! Looking forward to getting away from this Eastern Kansas humidity for a while.

The town of Grand Lake is certainly set up for vacationers/tourists but I find it to be a nice little town. I’d rather walk Grand Ave and get ice cream and overlook Grand Lake than hangout in the town of Granby. RMNP is always busy but I like that west side for seeing a lot of moose - and you usually don’t need to go into the park to see moose, an evening drive is usually enough to see a few. In the park, Trail Ridge Road is a great drive and there are a lot of bull elk above treeline this time of year. There are a million beautiful hikes and plenty of water activities in that area. Go have fun!

Do you like to fish? There are plenty of rivers and streams in the area. And, of course, you can fish the lake.

If you drive into RMNP before 0900 or after 1500 hours you don’t need a timed entry permit to drive Trail Ridge Road. Area’s like Bear Lake will be off limits but driving Trail Ridge Road is well worth your time.

I bought these guidebooks years ago and they have been great for getting off the beaten path and not ending up on a road I wished I wasn't on. Just used it again camping north of RMNP last week to find places we could hike and fish without violating my wifes Expedition.

Do you like to fish? There are plenty of rivers and streams in the area. And, of course, you can fish the lake.
Yes we do. We definitely plan to fish. Not sure where yet. I was thinking probably in the lake. Only kicker is we’ll have 6 boys under the age of 9 (including my boys and my nephews) so we’ll be limited on where and how far we can go.

- Rent a Pontoon boat from Beacon Landing on Lake Granby; if you need a guide ask for Eric. Of the 3 Lakes - Granby has the best fishing
- Rent SxS / ATV from “On the trail” rentals
- Sun Outdoors in cool you have that many kids tagging along
- The town of Grand Lake is the place to be
- RMNP; great place to kill a day
- x2 on Grand Lake Lodge; get a reservation ASAP
- Myachis for Ice Cream
- Check SkyHiNews for Grand County events week of; local newspaper

If you drive into RMNP before 0900 or after 1500 hours you don’t need a timed entry permit to drive Trail Ridge Road. Area’s like Bear Lake will be off limits but driving Trail Ridge Road is well worth your time.
Actually it opens up after 2:00 now. I think that was a change last year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
damnyankee
Back