Good Neighbor: Elk Management in Montana

Landowners are certainly not all the same, and it is hard to find solutions given that variability, but it was pretty clear from the rancher/outfitter that the issue is money. I feel like these questions need to be asked/answered of those in that category...
What $ amount is adequate compensation to feed these elk annually?
What $ amount would it take for you to allow limited cow elk hunting?
What $ amount would it take for you to join BM and fully open to the general public?

Landowners are certainly not all the same, and it is hard to find solutions given that variability, but it was pretty clear from the rancher/outfitter that the issue is money. I feel like these questions need to be asked/answered of those in that category...
What $ amount would it take for you to join BM and fully open to the general public?
Its transferable bull tags. Anything less will be non sufficient.

Watch.

I know the land owner pieces are vastly larger out west so maybe this isn't quite as logical of an argument in the state of Montana but I have talked with a few landowners here that complain about the deer populations and the ag kill tags they get or the compensation they get for crop damage and/or allowing public access. I've asked why they just don't build a taller fence or make it electric and just keep the deer off their property. They always beat around the answer but basically they don't want to actually lose the deer from their land because it provides $$$ to them and it isn't actually a nuisance. Guessing its about the same response you would get from them.

I'm not saying this is a good idea but think about this: What if you cut the ties 100%. Remove all incentives for having elk on their land and how many landowners do you think would change what they are doing now? I'm guessing the lease price they get from the outfitters to use their ranch or the $$$ they are getting directly from clients to use their ranch for hunting is plenty enough. Otherwise don't you think that they would be looking at creative ways to just keep them off? Heck just hanging blaze orange rags on each fence post might just be enough to deter them from crossing.

I know the land owner pieces are vastly larger out west so maybe this isn't quite as logical of an argument in the state of Montana but I have talked with a few landowners here that complain about the deer populations and the ag kill tags they get or the compensation they get for crop damage and/or allowing public access. I've asked why they just don't build a taller fence or make it electric and just keep the deer off their property. They always beat around the answer but basically they don't want to actually lose the deer from their land because it provides $$$ to them and it isn't actually a nuisance. Guessing its about the same response you would get from them.

I'm not saying this is a good idea but think about this: What if you cut the ties 100%. Remove all incentives for having elk on their land and how many landowners do you think would change what they are doing now? I'm guessing the lease price they get from the outfitters to use their ranch or the $$$ they are getting directly from clients to use their ranch for hunting is plenty enough. Otherwise don't you think that they would be looking at creative ways to just keep them off? Heck just hanging blaze orange rags on each fence post might just be enough to deter them from crossing.
Again, not saying its a great idea but a thought: If you cut all that 100%, what is the annual saves to the state of Montana. What if you took that money instead and actually bought up land for sale instead? Can get profit off it by leasing it just like other state lands and its now open to the public should Montana continue to let state land be open to hunting and fishing. Lots of willing sellers of land over 100 acres across Montana on zillow. Just seems partially silly to me to "pay rent" every year as a state for a program that many don't like anyways when you could instead "buy" and turn hopefully some profit off of it.
1728065703606.png

Its transferable bull tags. Anything less will be non sufficient.

Watch.
I agree, for that person at least. I doubt there is anything that will get that group sufficiently satisfied enough to join BM. But until FWP asks the question directly, we will keep getting videos suggesting buying the ranch donuts and helping with fences. I can also acknowledge that doing those things will greatly improve individual relationships, but so will simply following rules, stop ripping up wet roads, closing gates, and generally not being an a-hole hunter. I give the guy credit for admitting it is about money and saying it on tape. We as hunters need to admit that the actions of some of us have caused the real problem.

What if you took that money instead and actually bought up land for sale instead?
Big government is bad. Every acquisition is a fight. The guy auditioning for the role as future Governor is adamantly opposed to new acquisitions (unless, of course, the Feds are required to divest land to the states).
I'm not sure people don't like BM. Those that leave often just get a better offer.

Looks like the works already been done 🤷‍♂️

Can someone point me to where a lack of incentive exists? Or is 1500 a day for a hunter not an incentive?

Robert Frosts' poem Mending Wall introduced the quote "Good Fences Make Good Neighbors" and is his second most misquoted poem (The Road Not Taken being the first), because most people stop at that quote and don't read further into it.

In the poem, the speaker talks about how every year him and his neighbor meet at the fence and rebuild the gaps caused by weather and hunters (yup!). The poet never brings it up to his neighbor, but wonders to himself why they keep rebuilding the fence, because it is between a pine wood and an apple orchard and won't cause any problems. Yet the neighbor is insistent that "good fences make good neighbors" without any justification other than that it is what his father taught him and a stubborn refusal to change.

To this day people say that line from the poem not realizing the poem they are quoting is mocking it. Good fences don't make good neighbors. Building walls is not the way to solve the problems we have. Common ground isn't common if it has a fence through it.*
1. Thanks for the poetry lesson, I had only read that poem once before, and clearly fell into the same group as the masses, where over time I only remembered that one line, and assigned an incorrect interpretation to the poem.
2. However, both you and mr frost are wrong. It takes very little time with any group of neighbors to see that walls make good neighbors. They clearly differentiate rights and responsibilities between two entities that without, would almost never see eye to eye. By removing that ambiguity and potential source for conflict you can more easily maintain a better relationship with said neighbor. I prefer my creek over a wall, less to maintain but still clearly divides, but would still build a fence if not for the creek. I don't care how close or far away the neighbor is.

In an ideal world maybe they're not needed, but in reality, they're very useful.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
george84
Back