Advertisement

General question on elk

bmontang

So we have hunted Colorado for several years as a group. Next season it looks like only two of us can make it for sure and both of us are thinking about changing things up.

We travel from the east (Eastern Iowa and further east) and are trying to decide on what other state may make sense.

I’d really like to get a tag somewhere that the more classical sporting and stalking is possible. So far, in Colorado our units have been more think timber with no real glassing opportunities.

All that as a set up to ask which western state has the best intersection of glassing opportunities, drawing a tag, and public land availability outside of Colorado?

I understand with zero points we aren’t looking at any prime units anywhere, but if ya’all had to make a plan anywhere outside of Colorado as non-residents where would you head?

It’s a diy hunt for sure and likely more of a truck camp than back country if that matters.

If your group has hunted the same unit for several years. I'm sure you have learned a lot about it and the elk movements along with saddles, drainages etc. If it where me, I would stick to that unit. Why start all over trying to learn a new unit. Plus if you don't have any points in Wy or Mt. Your best bet will be a cow tag. Just my 2 cents.

Some guy named greenhorn killed all the nice bull elk in MT. :) maybe New Mexico Eplus - a NR friend named treecarp says its better than anything applying as a NR.

On trying to be helpful note - theres too much out on the net for this info so you probably wont get much help. So that the info is all available to you in one place - id just get gohunt and use that data to make a decision with potential for some more thumb wear on your google machine for specific units you are curious about.

If a few years into a unit you haven’t killed elk and it’s not the experience you want I could see packing up and looking for a new spot that meets the style you want to hunt. As far as tags and all that IYKYK figure it out

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boytoman
Back