Gals, how did you learn to hunt?

@WesternWyoming I would like to thank you for creating this thread. I don't have much of anything to personally contribute (although I know Mrs. Seeth absolutely could) but reading this thread is a great reminder to what I like to think Hunttalk is all about. The replies are all filled with genuine in depth and serious thoughts with no personal bashing, attacks or jokes. If a male member of the forum would have created this thread asking the same question, the thread would likely have a dozen memes by now and it would have derailed into something off topic regarding Montana deer mismanagement or how NR have ruined everything. I know this thread has served as a good reminder to me about how to get valuable use of my time on this forum and I thank you for that.

Back to the topic, my wife is part of and works for an organization called shoot like a girl that has a main goal of getting more women into the shooting sports. You should check them out.
Seeth,

Thank you so much for your kind words! I'm honored and appreciative of all the personal stories submitted in response to my question. Hunting can be a deeply personal and solitary pursuit, with all kinds of rewards, but in retrospect sharing those experiences makes them even more satisfying. These are the memories that buoy us as we get older.

Seeth,

Thank you so much for your kind words! I'm honored and appreciative of all the personal stories submitted in response to my question. Hunting can be a deeply personal and solitary pursuit, with all kinds of rewards, but in retrospect sharing those experiences makes them even more satisfying. These are the memories that buoy us as we get older.
Absolutely. If you haven't already, you should check out the live hunt thread where there are 100's of amazing stories in there capturing a lot of peoples trials and tribulations as they pursue their adventures.

Raised in a hunting family. Can remember helping dad skin deer at a very young age. I think I was more in the way than helping.
Shot my first deer at 12(that was the age you could start hunting way back then).
Married a guy who is a trapper first and foremost and I slowly drug him into deer hunting and now a little elk hunting.
We hunt grouse and do some fishing.
Have hunted cougars and bears with hounds. Don't have hounds anymore. Don't think I could keep up with them either. Also too many wolves around.
"Slowly drug him into deer hunting!" 😄 Usually it's the other way 'round.

Absolutely. If you haven't already, you should check out the live hunt thread where there are 100's of amazing stories in there capturing a lot of peoples trials and tribulations as they pursue their adventures.
Where is this live hunt thread?

Where is this live hunt thread?

Some good hunt stories live elsewhere (such as under the species thread or location specific thread) but a lot of them, especially if they are creating and updated during the hunt season, happen under that thread location.

You could also search "talkie" - check thread title only and find the annual list put together by @Hunting Wife which does a pretty good job of collecting and listing all of the years best stories.

Took a break from hunttalk for a bit. Hi all, sorry for disappearing!

My dad and I would go deer hunting when I was about 9 or 10 every year after Thanksgiving in upstate NY. He told the story of when he shot a deer at my wedding (I had a .22 that I would peg squirrels with in the tree stand), we gutted it together and how I was completely fascinated when he took out the heart.

Anyway there was a lull through highschool and college. Then when I graduated college he bought me a .12 and said if I maintained a "real" job in my profession that he would take me on the annual South Dakota pheasant hunt with him and his buddies. Fast forward, I'm 37 and it’s been ~15 years of going to South Dakota together. (much better spending time together hunting than sitting around the burbs)

My husband and I also got big into elk hunting when we moved out to Colorado and I’m currently in hot pursuit of my first bow elk.

Unrelated, I tried to get on "Alone" last year. Got pretty far in the process but didn't make it and am kinda bummed about it.ameliahunt.jpgIMG_1949 3.JPGIMG_3686 2.jpg10338531_726132672266_427927429346742421_o.jpg

My dad and I would go deer hunting when I was about 9 or 10 every year after Thanksgiving in upstate NY. He told the story of when he shot a deer at my wedding (I had a .22 that I would peg squirrels with in the tree stand), we gutted it together and how I was completely fascinated when he took out the heart.

Anyway there was a lull through highschool and college. Then when I graduated college he bought me a .12 and said if I maintained a "real" job in my profession that he would take me on the annual South Dakota pheasant hunt with him and his buddies. Fast forward, I'm 37 and it’s been ~15 years of going to South Dakota together. (much better spending time together hunting than sitting around the burbs)

My husband and I also got big into elk hunting when we moved out to Colorado and I’m currently in hot pursuit of my first bow elk.

Unrelated, I tried to get on "Alone" last year. Got pretty far in the process but didn't make it and am kinda bummed about it.
Welcome Back, Ammo!
Need your sense of humor and doodles around here.

Unrelated, I tried to get on "Alone" last year. Got pretty far in the process but didn't make it and am kinda bummed about it.View attachment 330127View attachment 330128View attachment 330129View attachment 330130
I love these photos! So your dad shot a deer at your wedding?! No way!

Kidding, I know what you meant. Nice to meet you! I must get a photo of me in elk camp this year to share. Yes, I drew my unit! Yay!

What all of you like about big game hunting is what my husband is all about trapping.
We trapped hard in our younger days. Lived out of a camp trailer and usually home one day a week to put hides in freezers and wash cloths and restock groceries.
When he started elk hunting he hit it just like trapping. Hard and non stop.
We're going back to trapping and slow down on the elk hunting. Will do deer hunting a whole lot easier on the bodies.

Unrelated, I tried to get on "Alone" last year. Got pretty far in the process but didn't make it and am kinda bummed about it.
Wait wait wait.

You "tried" to get on Alone last year.

You disappeared sometime after Sept. 18th. They do typically start the event in the late fall.

You are now back about 9 months later.

Are you just teasing us for what is to come on season 12?

I

It’s an old pillowtop mattress and box spring wrapped around old clothes, and plastic grocery sacks. Removed all button, zippers, springs, etc. Tied up with worn out ratchet straps. Total cost: $0
Looks like it stops field points really well. Have you shot it with broadheads?

Looks like it stops field points really well. Have you shot it with broadheads?
Yeah, 1. G5 Montec, if I remember right it sunk to the fletching and I pulled it out through the back of the target. I’d have a shredded pile of fabric if I kept that up.

Wait wait wait.

You "tried" to get on Alone last year.

You disappeared sometime after Sept. 18th. They do typically start the event in the late fall.

You are now back about 9 months later.

Are you just teasing us for what is to come on season 12?
hahahaha I WISH. Got knocked out of the running sometime last May, so not close enough to be ON Alone.

also, @ammo I can't be the only one dying to know who was Game Off 2023 champion? What were the 6 dishes prepared?
Game Off didn't happen last year, I think my opponent is getting sick of losing every year :ROFLMAO:

Game Off didn't happen last year, I think my opponent is getting sick of losing every year :ROFLMAO:
That has been one of my all time favorite threads on HT. I hope your opponent can suck it up so we can get 2024 addition! If you weren't so far away, I'd step up to the plate!

Husband unit got his first archery elk last year (harumph) so we have plenty of meat. I'll see if I can get him roped in to a summer Game Off. Just need to taunt him enough where he loses it and wants to throw down :cool:

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
manbugle
Back