Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

G5 Montec or VPA Three Blade

I have not compared them but I’m done shooting vented heads. They’re just too loud for me and I can’t shoot the difference between vented and non vented

Okay I have never heard to much about them but I see they are getting a lot of looks this year. Better than the VPA?

switching fromwac'ems to slick tricks this year only due to availability. razor sharp blades and a hard chisel type point do plenty of damage. plus i've been super impressed with the way these slick tricks are flying - dead on with my field points out to 60.

switching fromwac'ems to slick tricks this year only due to availability. razor sharp blades and a hard chisel type point do plenty of damage. plus i've been super impressed with the way these slick tricks are flying - dead on with my field points out to 60.
I worry about slick tricks durability through bone... no personal experience but I kind of like the idea of a more stout head. I know plenty of animals probably go down every year from them.

I worry about slick tricks durability through bone... no personal experience but I kind of like the idea of a more stout head. I know plenty of animals probably go down every year from them.
wac'ems went straight through elk rib for me before, and that was when i was shooting feather lite arrows. i trust them fully, but i get it - shoot what's comfortable. to me montecs feel like aluminum and aren't sharp, but they wouldn't be so popular if they didn't work.

Is the field points G5 sells that mimick their broadhead flight and drag BS? That might tilt me back.
It was the BMP. I will admit, the Striker heads do shoot very similar to my standard field points, but my Montecs didn't. I used the BMP for the Montec and they shot the same. I also shot Muzzy's back in the day, and had to really tune in differently between them and my field points (this was also with my old Martin bow!)

I've killed a good number of elk with montecs and haven't ever had a failure. I've dug them out of animals all bent to crap after hitting a heavy bone but never broken one that I can remember. They are simple, no moving parts, nothing really to fail, easy to sharpen, cheap, fly good, and available at every sporting goods store ever. That being said, I am convinced the non vented 3 blade vpa is a better built and tougher head.

I am in the market for a new set of broadheads and wondered everyone's opinion between the VPA three blade and the G5 Montecs. 125g is what I'm looking for. Also if you have other recommendations let me know. looking for a do it all head (elk, pronghorn, Deer).

Cutthroats from RMSG

Personally I've been using Magnus Black Hornet Ser-razors with the bleeders.

If you're looking for penetration, a single bevel is the way to go.

I'm going with Kudupoint 100 2-blade single bevels with a total arrow weight of 425gr. at 270 fps. They fly amazingly well - every bit as good as my field points.

Having said that, I've probably put in about 12-14 days of bow-hunting the past couple years and still haven't connected. This year is going to be the charm!

I am in the market for a new set of broadheads and wondered everyone's opinion between the VPA three blade and the G5 Montecs. 125g is what I'm looking for. Also if you have other recommendations let me know. looking for a do it all head (elk, pronghorn, Deer).
I switched from g5 montecs to the annihilators and am loving the annihilators.

I have used Montec G5 125 for years with great results they always flu closer to field points than other fix blades, great penetration and ease to sharpen.

Personally, I prefer the VPA over the G5. The solid 100 is a good option. But the 125 solid and up are not the most forgiving. If 125 I'd go vented unless you're bow is on the slow side. I've got VPA in stock if your interested shoot me a PM.

I wouldn't limit yourself to those two options though. These are the Terra Firma Gladius and fly better than a solid M3 or VPA IMHO. Also, consider the Contact Archery MD3 as shown on the top. Both fly better than a solid VPA or M3. The MD3 is made of S7 steel and is incredibly tough.1000012089.jpg

1000012503.jpg

Advertisement

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clinebj22
Back