NEW SITKA Ambient 75

G5 Montec or VPA Three Blade

CoHunter1991

I am in the market for a new set of broadheads and wondered everyone's opinion between the VPA three blade and the G5 Montecs. 125g is what I'm looking for. Also if you have other recommendations let me know. looking for a do it all head (elk, pronghorn, Deer).

Have friends that have used both; I’ve only used the montec. I think the vpa is better built since they’re machined from one piece of steel vs the molded/cast montecs. I completely disintegrated a montec on a missed shot where I hit a rock, literally nothing to be found at the end of the arrow. I don’t think that would have happened with a machined head. Advantages I can see for the montec is they are a little cheaper and are available seemingly everywhere

I’ve been shooting th qad exodus a bit lately; they fly great for me. No success with them yet but they came highly recommended to me by a friend that’s used the on a number of animals

I am in the market for a new set of broadheads and wondered everyone's opinion between the VPA three blade and the G5 Montecs. 125g is what I'm looking for. Also if you have other recommendations let me know. looking for a do it all head (elk, pronghorn, Deer).
Montec CSs were good starter blades for me but they flew loudly. I would suspect the VPAs are quite a bit tougher, maybe slightly harder to sharpen (but more likely to retain their edge) and certainly much quieter. You're looking at two very different price points, though. I'd also look at the VPAs kissing cousin, the Cutthroat 3-blade.

Started with Montechs have shot the vpa 3 blade the last 5 seasons.

Both r good.

The vpa has the edge in ease of sharpening and edge retention.
Can get them razor sharp with just a file and ceramic rod. Pretty quick to boot.
Flight is good on both.

The only thing I do not like about the vpa. Is the tool steel it is made out of can rust fairly quickly. So some attention to care is needed.

I’ve used the montec 3 and 4 blades, only killed animals with the 4blade striker X… they both fly well and from what I understand the OG 3 blades are tried and true.

I’m switching to QAD Exodus this year as well. I’ve seen nothing but perfect performance from them with my BIL.

Attachments

• IMG_1581.jpeg
    IMG_1581.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1580.jpeg
    IMG_1580.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1582.jpeg
    IMG_1582.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 17
I killed an elk at 55 with a 430 grain arrow around with around 274 fps with the montec.

Good penetration and it worked well - the blood trail could have been better but i think that can be about how low you shoot.

They didnt fly well at all, though. I had several that didnt seem to shoot very well and it was frustrating to find the 4 of 6 i bought that didnt send the arrow off. YMMV.

got ramcat diamondbacks on sale and using those now.

I really like the VPA's. Super consistent, easy to sharpen, fly great, fly quietly, super tough.

Okay I’ll give those other options a look but it looks like VPA might be worth the extra 15$ per 3 over the G5.

Now… vented or solid 3 blade? I have never used solid as I heard vented is more forgiving and catch the wind less

Okay I’ll give those other options a look but it looks like VPA might be worth the extra 15$ per 3 over the G5.

Now… vented or solid 3 blade? I have never used solid as I heard vented is more forgiving and catch the wind less
Solids fly quieter. They'll fly great as long as your bow is tuned.

Is the field points G5 sells that mimick their broadhead flight and drag BS? That might tilt me back.

Is the field points G5 sells that mimick their broadhead flight and drag BS? That might tilt me back.
Seems like marketing to me. I've used the Tophat Apex points for years. I haven't noticed any meaningful flight differences between field tips and broadheads. I practice out to 100yds with both.

The BMPs make a little more sense for the G5 mechanicals. The Montecs are easy enough to sharpen that I wouldn’t worry about shooting practice heads. That said, they used to sell some practice points that were exact matches for the Montecs but not sharpened and maybe a softer steel. I liked practicing with those over my hunting heads.

I have never had an issue with Montecs. I also like that I can find them almost anywhere so if Im in a bind, I could find a replacement.

I will say that I too have destroyed one hitting a rock but I don't intend to make that a regular occurence.

I shot Montecs for quite a while...never liked how they constantly felt dull. I like the G5 products, and personally switched to the Striker, love that broadhead. Plus I like how they have the practice heads that match the flight of the actual head - I have a lot of confidence in my sight set-up without dulling blades!

Mine fly the same, which is really nice. I had a heck of a time tuning with the Monetc M3 blades. Could not get them to group past 25 yards. The guy at the archery shop said he had heard similar things from a handful of people. Now I use the Striker V2 and they fly great. I am a new bowhunter and haven't killed anything yet, but I feel pretty confident in that broadhead.

Back