Football General Talk

Sorry Brent, but I gotta call you out for
View attachment 342714

And for this.View attachment 342715

ha ha ha!!

But I gotta say, and with apologies to George Oster, calling me out over my football acumen is sort of like harpooning a blimp. Every thrust is fatal, and it is hard to miss.

That said, I stand by what I said about football kickoffs. What we had was horrible, what we have is also horrible - debatably slightly horribler, but I would like to see the numbers to concede that.

As for Darnold, I will say that I am pleasantly surprised, but still wish we had Cousins who is doing quite well with much less down there. And that brings me to another issue I have a devined from my years of watching elite QB draftees fail (sharpen your harpoon now). I originally thought Darnold would be a really good NFL QB. When he failed, like so many others, it seemed to me, really poor coaching was more likely the reason than his own personal foibles. And are there better teams to screw up a newbie QB than Jets and Painters? Maybe, but not many and not my much. However, he came from SF, and the thing I noticed with SF when they stuck Purdey in as an act of desperation, is that they made him throw long - on the very first set of downs. I think maybe even his first play. That spread the field and made the defenses perk up and pull back, whereas the NFL conservative norm is to dink and dunk and play safe so he feels safe and "grows his confidence". Meanwhile the defense chokes up and it is really hard for any QB to deal with that, without permission to put some air out there. And so they suck and the play calls get more conservative and easy to defend and they suck some more and it all goes down hill from there as his confidence is destroyed.

So with that diatribe vented, I assumed that Darnold had been given the same treatment that Purdy got and had failed at that, so he must really be a bum after all. However, O'Connor has shown otherwise, so put some more gold to his credit for that. I think the guy might be a pretty good coach (and a little bit :) ).

Okay, harpoons away! I do not mind being a fat, white, Moby Blimp... :)

PS. I am still doubtful that the Vikes make it to the playoffs, but I am prepared to enjoy as much of this run as I can get. I will not be the guy that jinxes them.

Google won't tell me so I ask here. When was the last time the packers were in last place 4 weeks or later into a season?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SpecialJed
Back