Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Fishing near Soldotna AK

Sd375

I'm thinking of doing a DIY salmon fishing trip to Soldotna, AK in the next year or so. Wondering if anyone has done the same or that lives here there than has any word of wisdom to offer. Places to fish, stay, equipment, gear, time of year -- anything would be helpful. Thanks.

It's been 25 years but we did it a couple years before and after flying out for caribou. In September the big silvers were running and we drove upriver from Soldatna to a day use area on the Kenia. Casted 7/8 or 1oz Pixie spoons with a pink insert and did well. Another year I think it was August and tons of pinks were in the river. I think they run on odd-numbered years but not sure. Not the best of the salmons but you could catch them until your arms hurt.

I've been going up there for years (some good, some not so good) in fact, leaving in three weeks. I always go after Labor Day when the crowds thin out (last run of the Silvers) Some good spots would be on the Kenai River and the mouth of Silkok Creek below the college, the Kasliof River just off Sterling Highway, the Ninilchick River and Anchor River. Ask the locals where they're running. Always had good luck with spinners (Pixies #4, #5 ) Mepps Spinners (# 4,# 5) and Pixie spoons 1/2 -7/8 ounce; colors silver, copper, lime green, blue and hot pink anything with bling. There are a number of good hotels in Soldotna, I usually stay at the Aspen Hotel or Best Western, King Salmon. Bring a medium spinning outfit 12 -14 lb test, net, chest waders and rain gear. Leave the cooler at home and buy a fish box at the sporing goods store to transport fish home. Also, if you're going all that way, drive down to Homer and do a Halibut/Salmon combo all day trip (about $280 and well worth it!). Hope this helps.

Also, if you're going all that way, drive down to Homer and do a Halibut/Salmon combo all day trip (about $280 and well worth it!). Hope this helps.

Or hit Seward and do a Salmon/ Rockbass trip.

Short 4 hour trip with the wife:
10404478_10152064511910736_1388479493809605615_n.jpg

I've been going up there for years (some good, some not so good) in fact, leaving in three weeks. I always go after Labor Day when the crowds thin out (last run of the Silvers) Some good spots would be on the Kenai River and the mouth of Silkok Creek below the college, the Kasliof River just off Sterling Highway, the Ninilchick River and Anchor River. Ask the locals where they're running. Always had good luck with spinners (Pixies #4, #5 ) Mepps Spinners (# 4,# 5) and Pixie spoons 1/2 -7/8 ounce; colors silver, copper, lime green, blue and hot pink anything with bling. There are a number of good hotels in Soldotna, I usually stay at the Aspen Hotel or Best Western, King Salmon. Bring a medium spinning outfit 12 -14 lb test, net, chest waders and rain gear. Leave the cooler at home and buy a fish box at the sporing goods store to transport fish home. Also, if you're going all that way, drive down to Homer and do a Halibut/Salmon combo all day trip (about $280 and well worth it!). Hope this helps.

Do you have a recommendation for a Homer charterboat?

All charter companies use the same boats and book according to availability - I have been using North Country Charters out of Homer. There are also some smaller outfits in King Salmon just outside of Soldotna

imagejpeg_0_3.jpg

Wife and I went to Homer end of May last year. We went with Aaron Mahoney of Alaska Gulf Coast Expeditions out of Ninilchik, just north of Homer. Had a ball, got our halibut and kings, and were treated like best friends by Aaron. It was early in the season and we ended up having the boat to ourselves that day.

Back