Fishing, God’s Therapy

shrapnel

While the world spins backwards, and the news is depressing, I took my grandson fishing. Most of the time was spent untangling lines and getting the lure out of the bushes, but success prevailed and he caught some fish.

When he got home he grilled one up himself, for dinner…

IMG_6136.jpegIMG_6143.jpegIMG_6151.jpegIMG_6155.jpeg

Very Cool!

My best was a family hike and taking the kids fishing. 4 girl nieces and a nephew. Tiny stream and they caught 8 trout.
I spent 3 hrs tying hooks and leaders.

My dad would have been proud. His brothers were.

This week I went out to MO. to Rockbridge. yes its a trout farm, yes its stocked but you do fish in a river and get to try some new things. For me I have never fly fished. I committed to learning and was able to at least look like I kinda knew what I was doing ( from a distance). It was great because this time of year the place is empty and all I had was my buddies heckling me ( as they should).

Its is a relaxing place and overall I think they really do nice job. They grow fish for 3 years then release them with all about 2.5-3.5 lbs. We got a couple 4.5. record this year is 12.5. In 1.2 days of fishing the 5 of us caught 212 lbs of Rainbows, and that was with mandatory beer and summer sausage breaks and even a couple naps.

It does not replace a mountain stream or lake and for a me and light pole with a rooster tail, but as we get older item becomes the most important commodity.

Fishing is therapeutic for sure. Trying my hand at fly fishing this summer, takes a long time to get proficient at it is what I’ve found. Still find myself taking out the spinning rod on the canoe more often than not.

Fishing is therapeutic for sure. Trying my hand at fly fishing this summer, takes a long time to get proficient at it is what I’ve found. Still find myself taking out the spinning rod on the canoe more often than not.
I use to stick clients, who were learning to cast, in the plane and fly down to one of my favorite streams. I little instruction, don't cast too far, two poor cast, nothing. Make a good cast hook a fish. Amazing how effective instant feedback and positive reinforcement is.
Learning to cast is one aspect, learning to fish is something else all together.
I'm guessing you know how to fish, leave the spinner in the truck, casting well takes good practice, you'll know when it feels right.

I remember reading a quote once that went something like "There comes a time in every man's life where he is either going to go fishing or do something much worse." I can't remember who said it or where I saw it.

SITKA Gear Optifade Cover

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jg722
Back