First Wyoming Antelope Hunt

Randy's guessing....just like anyone else. You will always hav e a better chance with special no matter what...who wants to pay 2x the regular amount? Not everyone...but it will for sure give you better odds at this time IMO.
Not true. I found some cases over the years where the special was not as good as the regular, not many, but it does not alway mean a better chance…

Randy's guessing....just like anyone else. You will always hav e a better chance with special no matter what...who wants to pay 2x the regular amount? Not everyone...but it will for sure give you better odds at this time IMO.
What do you suggest for a 65 year old guy with one point, hunting solo and almost no experience in Antelope hunting?Plus having a two full days drive just to get there.

What do you suggest for a 65 year old guy with one point, hunting solo and almost no experience in Antelope hunting?Plus having a two full days drive just to get there.
I hate to speculate for anyone, especially someone with just 1 point. I will say, don't let age be an issue, if you don't want to go solo try to find a partner, they have a group here for it. Look at the draw odds yourself or find a tool to do it for you, some are free and some cost money. I will also say with just 1 point I'm not sure going special vs not special will make much of a difference. Good luck !

Consider going with an outfitter, just because with only one point the units you'll be able to draw will be mostly private land.

Book with an outfitter. That is the only reliable way to hunt on private property in areas that you can draw with one point. The good outfitters often are fully booked early, and some of them are booked years in advance, so contact them soon.

Crazy thing about 8 years ago you could get a second leftover tag in addition too your regular tag in those units. Times have changed. It's possible to shoot 4 animals but your gonna see plenty of other hunters and you all will be driving by those public parcels all day looking for a goat to wander by. If your concerned about health issues, go hunt, you will get some not sure if you will get 4 though.

Marginal units you may need to hump it to fill a tag. You described a situation with someone in poor/failing health and wanting to make a trip sooner than later. For your situation I'd be calling around to book with an outfitter.

I’ve hunted in a few of those units and have had mixed results but always had lots of company and not much game. Most of the lopes we saw were on private ground. With lots of driving, glassing and putting miles on our boots we did turn up a few bucks on BLM too. I’m concur with some of the others, save your points and hunt a better unit or pay a trespass fee. Good luck.

I've hunted a couple of those on public land. One was an easy hunt that lasted a couple hours, another was a brutal 20 mile slog. I think the latter was more typical of the hunt you will get if you're trying to get 3 or 4 buck antelope in a week. I have ideas, pm me if you want to discuss.
Hey bluffgruff I am from upstate ny and am looking at some easy to draw units as well 22,23 etc. I would like to talk about the limited public access when you have the time.

Hey bluffgruff I am from upstate ny and am looking at some easy to draw units as well 22,23 etc. I would like to talk about the limited public access when you have the time.
I can't recommend them to anyone, definitely a buyer beware situation. There isn't anything easy about these units, and it isn't the quintessential antelope hunting experience. The three big reasons they are easy to draw are that they have limited public land, or most of it is landlocked, therefore poor public access; significant crowding on the available public land; and the land that is accessible and free from crowding requires significant physical investment. If you are experienced with these issues, know your way around maps and land access rules, and can hoof it in rough terrain for what can be 10 or 20 mile days at decently high altitude for an easterner, give it a go. Otherwise you'd be better served trying the random draw in more accessible unit.

I can't recommend them to anyone, definitely a buyer beware situation. There isn't anything easy about these units, and it isn't the quintessential antelope hunting experience. The three big reasons they are easy to draw are that they have limited public land, or most of it is landlocked, therefore poor public access; significant crowding on the available public land; and the land that is accessible and free from crowding requires significant physical investment. If you are experienced with these issues, know your way around maps and land access rules, and can hoof it in rough terrain for what can be 10 or 20 mile days at decently high altitude for an easterner, give it a go. Otherwise you'd be better served trying the random draw in more accessible unit.
Thank you for all of your input. I am going to research trespass fee hunts instead.

There is ONE main road that goes through those units and connects the two besides the interstate, which does as well.
I live minutes from there and have a buddy who ranches in those units.

It is nothing to be sitting at his gate and counting 50-60 vehicles go by BEFORE DAYLIGHT during hunting season... all with 3-4 guys in the truck, and it continues after sunup.

Most locals avoid it like the plague. It just makes you angry how over- allocated those units are.

There is ONE main road that goes through those units and connects the two besides the interstate, which does as well.
I live minutes from there and have a buddy who ranches in those units.

It is nothing to be sitting at his gate and counting 50-60 vehicles go by BEFORE DAYLIGHT during hunting season... all with 3-4 guys in the truck, and it continues after sunup.

Most locals avoid it like the plague. It just makes you angry how over- allocated those units are.
Thank you so much for the info I’m glad I didn’t just go out there and wing it without doing some research and without consulting a forum. Like I said I am going to research and find someone I can do a trespass fee hunt. If you know of anyone and are willing to share that info I would greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much for the info I’m glad I didn’t just go out there and wing it without doing some research and without consulting a forum. Like I said I am going to research and find someone I can do a trespass fee hunt. If you know of anyone and are willing to share that info I would greatly appreciated.
PM sent.

I didn't see you are new here, so it won't allow a PM.

Kenetrek Boots

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozarkhuntress
Back