Finally! Snagged Permission to Camp and Hunt on Private Land

WyoDoug

After all these years of living in Wyoming, my access to prime antelope and possibly deer is growing. I finally snagged permission to hunt and camp on private land. This is nice because I can sit on the private and wait for the road hunters to pressure speedgoats and deer to where I set up at. I have also seen sharpies in the area so I will have my shotgun handy.

With the issues I have been having lately with vehicles, health and finances I needed this break. The good thing is I have always seen antelope on the land I now have permission to hunt, some of which is walk-in area but also includes land not enrolled.

Persistence pays on getting access to private land without paying a ransom in the form of trespass fees. Hopefully, I can grow the permissions from here. It also pays to be extra friendly when you are in town talking to people because this is how I ran into this guy. Now I am hyped to bring on speedgoat season.

After all these years of living in Wyoming, my access to prime antelope and possibly deer is growing. I finally snagged permission to hunt and camp on private land. This is nice because I can sit on the private and wait for the road hunters to pressure speedgoats and deer to where I set up at. I have also seen sharpies in the area so I will have my shotgun handy.

With the issues I have been having lately with vehicles, health and finances I needed this break. The good thing is I have always seen antelope on the land I now have permission to hunt, some of which is walk-in area but also includes land not enrolled.

Persistence pays on getting access to private land without paying a ransom in the form of trespass fees. Hopefully, I can grow the permissions from here. It also pays to be extra friendly when you are in town talking to people because this is how I ran into this guy. Now I am hyped to bring on speedgoat season.

Good for you man, enjoy the blessing

how-you-doin-joey.gif

Well me and Chris, my hunting buddy went out to the property and checked out camping spot. We will be in an RV parked next to straw bales in second image below. Almost immediately, we spotted four nice bucks, one appeared to me to be between 12 and 14 tall. Man I am getting buck fever already. The first image is a barn the landowner converted into a club house. Not shown is a water tank fed from a well that is not yet pictured. I think we will see antelope and deer this year right from camp. @huntin' lunatic you are missing out on some fun this year.

2024AntelpeCamp1.jpg

2024AntelpeCamp2.jpg

Congrats! I'm a landowner in NC and I allow other hunters to hunt my places. Me and my buddy have two Antelope doe tags Type 7 for Area 23 we bought before we understood how hard it would be to find private land access to shoot a doe antelope. We are looking for a place to hunt a doe since we are going to WY to hunt mule deer anyway, would like to not throw these tags in the trash, if you know of any private land access in Area 23 where we could try for a doe Antelope... 910-297-2089

I do not hunt area 23. You might try here for leads: https://wgfd.wyo.gov/public-access/hunter-landowner-assistance

I got permission by actually going out and talking to landowners and it took a long time before I even caught one home. Plus I put feelers out in the local eating places and that. It's hard. Back in the days when I was in my 30s, it was easy to get permission. Now in part to bad hunters damaging property or doing stupid things and leaving gates open, it is very hard.

Congrats @WyoDoug on getting permission and with being laser focused on obtaining it. Good luck with getting you a speed goat this year. I have followed along on your luck on some of your other hunts so this should be awesome!! Looking forward to hearing all about it.

I have found that gaining permission takes time and care. Hunting yotes has gained me permission, then allowed me to build relationships leading to further access. I have found many ranchers are more interested in good people than money. Two ranches I hunt react very poorly to people showing up and thinking they can simply buy access.

@WyoDoug , what all tags were you able to draw this year? Excited to hear about your successes!
Just doing antelope. Still have health concerns regarding TIA I experienced at elk hunt year before last. Also have liver issues that is causing fatigue so elk hunt is no no this year. Hunting antelope, deer, birds and small game this year. Drew a type 1 any antelope and getting deer OTC and hunting general same area as antelope.

Really happy for you Doug.
You deserve a break and from talking a bit with you I can tell you are a great guy.
Wishing you all the success in your hunts.
Keep us posted.

Really happy for you Doug.
You deserve a break and from talking a bit with you I can tell you are a great guy.
Wishing you all the success in your hunts.
Keep us posted.
Thanks. Hunt is right around the corner. There is a water tank close by that is heavily used by deer and antelope so taking my blind this time around. Got a stack of straw bales to keep the crazy nut cases from shooting through the blind plus I will be on private property anyways that is not enrolled in the Access Yes program. Sept 18 is when we begin scouting plus archery will be open for antelope so taking my cross bow. Going to be fun even if it turns into a one day hunt because we sill have deer, doves and sharpies to go after.

Well we spent a few days scouting and hunted with crossbows but unfortunately my hunting buddy had a text that his daughter was in the hospital so he had to go home. We will prolly go out for day hunts since we are close enough. Anyways, the story so far: Below image is skin from a rattlesnake and they could be found all over where we were camped and in the surrounding fields. A sheep focus on eating grass got bit in the eye and her face swoll up bad and they had to put the poor thing down. Poor dogs, they laid beside her body all night guarding her. Area is infested with prairie rattlers and they mix in very well and extremely hard to see.

1726779873393.png

The good thing tho is we found a spot on the private where a herd with nice bucks have been hanging all year long. We are not done. Gonna go back and try to make a stalk on them. Right now though family is more important than hunting so after my buddy is ready we will go back for a day hunt.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meatball
Back