Caribou Gear

Finally, ALASKA!

kwyeewyk

Been hunting with @Derek44 since we were kids, but started hunting with him again in 2019 and since 2020 we decided to get serious about expanding our efforts beyond Washington to explore the Rocky Mountain states. We also set our sights on Alaska, and this year it finally came together with a moose float hunt.

Of course we both ended up on fire assignments through the end of summer leading up to our trip, which made prepping a little more complicated, including deciding that I would drive the Alcan alone and he would fly and meet me up there.

He spent a couple years in logging camps around Afognak Island, but this would be my first and long anticipated trip to AK. I replaced my tires, gave my truck some TLC and packed up to head out on the long journey.

20240905_164204.jpg20240906_071014.jpg20240906_071241.jpg20240906_071257.jpg
I was surprised at how many towns and services there were in the southern BC portion of the drive the first day, until I got to Hwy 37 the second day, that's when the drive gets truly remote.

20240906_074206.jpg

20240906_121216.jpg

Fuel is far and few between, and there's no shoulder and few pull outs so broken down vehicles get parked in the lane, and wrecked vehicles lay in the ditch for days. Saw at least 4 totaled vehicles in the ditch, some wheels still in the air, and several parked in the road.

As I got to the worst of it and my navigation told me only 18 more hours, a sense of anxiety set in, realizing how far out I was and not knowing the road to come. The first rule I developed was fill up at half tank, which quickly evolved into if there's gas fill up. Wished I'd have remembered a spare can.

As I pulled in to fill up around the middle of Hwy 37, I heard a clacking noise coming from the rear of the truck. Looked underneath hoping for something obvious, but didn't notice anything unusual. Pulling out didn't hear it, but once rolling it started coming back. It would stop if I accelerated or breaked but otherwise seemed to be getting worse.

Now I started to get really worried, could be days to get anything fixed out here. I pressed on hoping i could at least make the next town and try again to diagnose. Then it started to feel like it was dog tracking, something very wrong, feels like a wheel is coming off! Could they have forgotten to torque it down? Luckily there was a pull out right there, hopped out and sure enough the rear driver wheel was damn near off the hub, 1 lug nut already gone and broke the stud, the other nuts about to fly.

Adrenaline and a sense of relief rushed through me, another 100 yards probably would have been utter disaster. Jacked it up and got it torqued down with 5 of 6 lugs, holy shit that was close!

20240906_153707.jpg
20240906_153954.jpg20240906_175359.jpg20240906_203335.jpg
Pressed on and made it to the Yukon, favorite part of the drive. Hit the Alcan border around midnight the second day. Alaska greeted me with some northern lights for the drive.

20240907_021424.jpg20240908_013752.jpg

Had to sleep a couple hours when I hit 25 hours driving, then made it to the motel to meet Derek. He got upgraded to first class for his flight and was lounging around waiting for me. I'll let @Derek44 update with his travel pics/story.

you drove the alcan, crossed at beaver creek? also did you drive through the cassiare highway beautiful ( Two years ago when i drove it in december. and never saw a highway painted line from smithers until the end of april in fairbanks and it was 35 below on the trip.
IMG_1166.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8019.jpg
    IMG_8019.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 5
you drove the alcan, crossed at beaver creek? also did you drive through the cassiare highway beautiful ( Two years ago when i drove it in december. and never saw a highway painted line from smithers until the end of april in fairbanks and it was 35 below on the trip.
View attachment 341426
The whole drive was thinking what a crazy drive it would be in the winter.

This year started like a thunderstorm. Big changes in my business and life changes mounting. Had myself convinced that this wasn’t my year for AK and told @kwyeewyk several times to count me out. Work in my industry was continually slowing down. His patience shined through and he just kept encouraging me even after I was adamant he need to find another partner for this adventure. Early July, the call came for me to head out on a wildfire. While the 7 day a week detail would curtail planning and prepping, it gave me the financial security to realize I could really make this happen. 43 days later, I was released from the fire. 2 weeks till go time. Booked my airline ticket and the scramble began.
View attachment IMG_8321.jpeg

While being extremely behind on home chores being away from home so long, had to put my nose to the grind to catch up on those and get sorted and packed. And I’m not the most organized individual. 7 days to wheels up and it’s time to start putting stuff together. 3 days later round 2 and final round of packing…
View attachment IMG_8344.jpeg
IMG_8371.jpeg
View attachment IMG_8376.jpeg
View attachment IMG_8385.jpeg
View attachment IMG_8387.jpeg
IMG_8390.jpeg

Sometime within those couple weeks I touched bases with Alaska Airlines to dot my I’s and cross my T’s on proper packing for firearms on my flight. The sweet lady on the other end could tell I was just a hillbilly and I explained that it had been 20 years since I’d been on a plane. She graciously and complimentary upgraded my ticket to first class. She said it would make my boarding process easier, and gave me the rundown.
IMG_8375.jpeg

One last rest stop
IMG_8424.jpeg

And wheels up…… go time for this leg…
IMG_8436.jpeg
View attachment IMG_8444.jpeg
IMG_8443.jpeg
IMG_8446.jpeg

Rental car with restrictions (basically only go to Walmart and Liquor Store 🤣) and refreshments and now just wait for @kwyeewyk
View attachment IMG_8450.jpeg
View attachment IMG_8456.jpeg
View attachment IMG_8451.jpeg
View attachment IMG_8452.jpeg

The whole drive was thinking what a crazy drive it would be in the winter.
Love the picture of whitehorse or watson lake. In december everything is closed. So I had to backtrack to watson lake for fuel. When I got to Watson Lake to refuel, the power went out in town. (the fuel pumps couldn't work.) Sat for two hours, small town Canadian folks are good people(I knew this from my three years of junior hockey in the eighties). So nice and friendly. Finally continued on the alcan. Sometimes not seeing a a soul or passing car for hours (its thirty below outside, the pictures of the carribou are right outside of watson lake). Arrived that evening in whitehorse with a water pump failing. It was a friday so I got a room for the weekend. This is where I was dissappointed in Canadiens...... Whitehorse. These folks make Canadiens look like New Yorkers. I had a water pump failing and I waited until Monday morning for help (I have no way to replace my water pump my self in a hotel parking lot). The rudeness and total disregarded to help people I dealt with that morning is exactly what you would find in new york city.
Anyway, I decided to buy a couple gallons of antifreeze and water and make a run to America. My faith in Canadiens was restored in Haines Junction. Such nice helpful folks. I was extremely happy to see Beaver Creek that afternoon. And continued on to Tok. My trip started in Abbostford where the Canadian border (whatever they call themselves) arrested me and through me in jail. This was after I had to go to Seattle and get an expediated passport (seattle is discusting). My whole trip up was depressing after those thieves at the border stole my suppressors but let me continue on with my a few my rifles.
So the picture with the carribou are right by the whitehorse or watson lake sign. The picture of my vehicle with trailor was in Tok

Attachments

• IMG_1170.jpg
    IMG_1170.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1172.jpg
    IMG_1172.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1174.jpg
    IMG_1174.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1
This year started like a thunderstorm. Big changes in my business and life changes mounting. Had myself convinced that this wasn’t my year for AK and told @kwyeewyk several times to count me out. Work in my industry was continually slowing down. His patience shined through and he just kept encouraging me even after I was adamant he need to find another partner for this adventure. Early July, the call came for me to head out on a wildfire. While the 7 day a week detail would curtail planning and prepping, it gave me the financial security to realize I could really make this happen. 43 days later, I was released from the fire. 2 weeks till go time. Booked my airline ticket and the scramble began.
View attachment 341518

While being extremely behind on home chores being away from home so long, had to put my nose to the grind to catch up on those and get sorted and packed. And I’m not the most organized individual. 7 days to wheels up and it’s time to start putting stuff together. 3 days later round 2 and final round of packing…
View attachment 341524
View attachment 341526
View attachment 341527
View attachment 341528
View attachment 341529
View attachment 341530

Sometime within those couple weeks I touched bases with Alaska Airlines to dot my I’s and cross my T’s on proper packing for firearms on my flight. The sweet lady on the other end could tell I was just a hillbilly and I explained that it had been 20 years since I’d been on a plane. She graciously and complimentary upgraded my ticket to first class. She said it would make my boarding process easier, and gave me the rundown.
View attachment 341531

One last rest stop
View attachment 341532

And wheels up…… go time for this leg…
View attachment 341533
View attachment 341534
View attachment 341535
View attachment 341536

Rental car with restrictions (basically only go to Walmart and Liquor Store 🤣) and refreshments and now just wait for @kwyeewyk
View attachment 341537
View attachment 341538
View attachment 341539
View attachment 341540
what airport is in the picture? That isnt Fairbanks

After another nap at the motel we got final supplies together and got ready to drive out to the airstrip we'd fly from, several hours more driving. By now I had learned all about Alaska's roads and their sudden frost heave jumps that spring up and try to launch you through the roof, so it was a matter of balancing time spent driving vs. jumping my truck with a missing lug. Probably should've got it fixed but didn't want to risk ending up stuck in a shop, so we made sure the five lugs were tight and went for it.

Got to our spot and slept in the truck and woke up to make final preparations and stage my truck at the take out we'd be floating back to. Well this would be a hunt with a lot of "firsts" for us. First moose hunt, first float hunt, first charter flight for hunting. And for me it would be my first time using an ebike for hunting.

After dropping our gear off at the strip I drove to the take out and rode the bike back to the strip. Thanks to my cousin for letting me borrow the bike.

20240908_065806.jpg
20240908_075449.jpg

Once back to the strip we awaited the charter, and after several hours of weather delay we were finally off to our drop. Saw a bull and cow moose on the flight but couldn't get a picture.

20240908_170956.jpg
20240908_173311.jpg20240908_175834.jpg
20240908_173628.jpg
20240908_180022.jpg

We knew we'd have some company on this river with motor boat access to the lower river and another outfit operating a camp on one end of the drop lake. We had hoped to have most of the day to scout things out and pick a spot to hunt the next day but with the late start we basically just had time to portage from the lake to the river and set up camp on the first bar we came to.

20240908_211743.jpg
20240909_070602.jpg

Sign was plentiful so first thing in the morning took a look around. Got near some small lakes off the river and heard something rubbing a tree. My first instinct (especially as a Washington hunter) was that it must be people, especially with the outfitter camp just on the other side of the river. Started working towards it, heard again a couple times, but it sounded like the same routine every time. Then I thought I heard a different rubbing sound that sounded more real, but only heard that one once. After a while of trying to see through the thick brush and get a slight bit of ground to see from and occasionally rubbing the brush too, never could confirm a moose and gave up assuming it must be the other hunters.
So we broke camp and loaded up to float down a bit to try to find a spot away from the camp. Found a decent spot and set up a camp hoping to stay a few days and try some glassing and calling.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HUNTERBC
Back