Sitka Gear Optifade Cover

Female Shotgun Advice

After getting my young lab dialed in on upland birds last fall I found my wife thoroughly enjoying the hunt. From watching our dog work the birds to spending time in the outdoors together it was a great new experience for the both of us. On our last outing she even asked if she could try shooting my shotgun... she's a small framed but tough gal and seeing her trying to handle my 1187 was awkward to say the least. nonetheless she blasted off numerous rounds trying to get the feel for it. About all she got was a big bruise on her shoulder.

So my question is, I'd like to purchase her a shotgun that fits her properly and doesn't break my bank account. The length of pull on my Remington is way too long for her. I'm sure there's been numerous other husbands that have gone down this same road. Do I purchase a youth sized gun or buy full sized and have a gunsmith cut it down. 20 or 12 gauge. Auto, Pump or over/under...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to try and keep the total price at or below $500 and I am certainly open to purchasing used.
I guess time flies when you’re having fun. Can’t believe this was going on 9 years ago. My lab is still around and loves to hunt albeit a bit slower these days. We’ve added two boys to our house so my wife’s time for bird hunting has been minimal. That being said she started shooing trap this summer to get back into the swing of things. I ended up finding a barely used Franchi 48AL in 20ga at the Bozeman Bob Wards that someone was really ready to get rid of. It fits her pretty good and is incredibly light. The recoil is a bit goofy as the entire barrel slides back into the action when cycling a round. I currently have an old benelli super 90 that I found at Ronan Sports and Wester, before it turned into a pot shop, that someone had as a safe queen and was in pristine condition. I’d love to find one of these or a used monefeltro in a 20 for my wife at some point. Good luck in your search.

This is the correct answer, the youth model can be harder to find but has the shortest LOP available for an autoloader but you can lengthen it with the spacers they give you to your liking. Awesome gun.
I was leaning this way, but she's REALLY recoil shy. And my benelli ain't the softest of shooters. I'm think gas is going to be the only way.

I literally almost lost her to shooting at all earlier this year, but not starting her with reduced recoil loads in her 243. Since we'd been shooting successfully for several years I assumed she was capable of jumping straight to hunting loads. She was not and asked to leave by shot #3, then didn't want to go at all anymore. Yes, it's all mental, but I can't force her through it. We eventually got around, but I'm really gun shy of belittling her concerns. That being said, I have a couple of friends that swear by a gas 20 ga for their kids.

I was leaning this way, but she's REALLY recoil shy. And my benelli ain't the softest of shooters. I'm think gas is going to be the only way.

I literally almost lost her to shooting at all earlier this year, but not starting her with reduced recoil loads in her 243. Since we'd been shooting successfully for several years I assumed she was capable of jumping straight to hunting loads. She was not and asked to leave by shot #3, then didn't want to go at all anymore. Yes, it's all mental, but I can't force her through it. We eventually got around, but I'm really gun shy of belittling her concerns. That being said, I have a couple of friends that swear by a gas 20 ga for their kids.
You should see if there is an 4H trap shooting program near you. ATA has a youth program as well. Trap shooting might really benefit your daughter. https://aim4ata.com/ABOUT

Yah I thought about that too. All depends on her size. My step son was very recoil shy when we bought him that gun. However having a better hold on the affinity with 3/4" shorter lop actually made the gun recoil less if that makes sense. So I guess if she can hold the gas operated really well then I'd lean that route and vice versa. Good luck whatever route you go. @ismith has a good point above.

Last edited:
Look at the Weatherby SA-08 youth gun if she is really small framed.

I have one for my kids and it is a decent little gun. Right in your wheel house for price also. I think I paid 520 for the one we have.
The Mossberg has essentially the same gun called the SA-20 (literally swappable parts), but a few dollars cheaper and often better availability. 20ga gas gun, soft shooting and have proven reliable as I trained up my son and wife. And even though they likely come from the same Turkish factory, we had better luck with the 2 mossbegs vs the 1 Weatherby - the Weatherby was just too "tight" and was more finicky - could just be an "n of 1" but all things being equal I would grab the Mossberg.

Whatever you do. Buy a 20 gauge, not a 12 gauge. (Most) Women can't handle a 12 gauge. Learned this the hard way many times and wasted a lot of money.

Whatever you do. Buy a 20 gauge, not a 12 gauge. (Most) Women can't handle a 12 gauge. Learned this the hard way many times and wasted a lot of money.
Not all 12s or 12 gauge loads are created equal. And you can download a 12 gauge to match any smaller gauge.

FIT, FIT, FIT are the three most important variables to consider first. Next weight, then balance, though some could reasonably argue reversing those last two.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flickted
Back