Faster Powder For Hammers?

Sheltowee

If I could, would like to pick the brains of y'all that have had success loading Hammers.

My deer load for my .257 Ackley last year was a 100gr. Barnes over AA4350 doing 3050fps from a 21inch barrel. I was really hoping to be in the 3200fps range. This year, I'm going to experiment with the Hammer 95gr. HHT. I still have a good bit of the AA4350 but also have a pound of two of H4831sc, which seems to be the recommended powder for most .257 Ackley loads. That said, I've seen a few mentions of Hammers doing better with a faster burning powder than typical for a given cartridge/weight range. I have a decent stockpile of Varget and an considering loading a ladder test with that, thinking I'll maximize Hammers' apparent preference for faster powders and getting the most out of a shorter barrel. So which would y'all suggest-- H4831sc or Varget?

What say ye, wise men (and women) of the internet?

Their data suggests (for 257+P which may be slow for 257AI but a good starting place) either would get you to where you want to be with either powder with a slight advantage to 4831. With a shorter barrel you may see them be basically equal so the Varget may be a good place to start.

If I could, would like to pick the brains of y'all that have had success loading Hammers.

My deer load for my .257 Ackley last year was a 100gr. Barnes over AA4350 doing 3050fps from a 21inch barrel. I was really hoping to be in the 3200fps range. This year, I'm going to experiment with the Hammer 95gr. HHT. I still have a good bit of the AA4350 but also have a pound of two of H4831sc, which seems to be the recommended powder for most .257 Ackley loads. That said, I've seen a few mentions of Hammers doing better with a faster burning powder than typical for a given cartridge/weight range. I have a decent stockpile of Varget and an considering loading a ladder test with that, thinking I'll maximize Hammers' apparent preference for faster powders and getting the most out of a shorter barrel. So which would y'all suggest-- H4831sc or Varget?

What say ye, wise men (and women) of the internet?
Steve picks up the phone when you call Hammer. mtmuley

My recollection is that powder burn rate may not be the same for say the Hammer Hunters vs the Absolute Hammers. Seems I recall for the AH is that you want the fastest powder that nearly fills the case. For my 6.5-06 and 123 AH and using Enduron powders that would likely put it as IMR 4451 being as fast as I would use.

+1 for just calling Steve and talking to him. I don't know how long he can keep that up as his products get more popular, but best to take advantage while you can!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rut
Back