Yeti GOBOX Collection

Exploring Recent Increases in Hunting and Fishing Participation Final Report 2013

katqanna

The Responsive Management 2013 Final Report is out on Exploring Recent Increases in Hunting and Fishing Participation. Good news is that hunting and fishing are increasing. The reasons are varied, one of which involves economics. Interesting note, women are a part of this increase. I just hope this doesnt mean we are going to start seeing more pink sh*t on the market. Makita pissed me off when they came out with their women's tool line and they were in pink and lavender.

Whether temporary or not, there appears to have been an increase in participation. The analysis of the hunter and angler surveys conducted for this project examines who might be driving this increase. In hunting, a small, but perhaps not in substantial, percentage of hunters were either returning to hunting in recent years after taking a break or were new to the sport: 17% of hunters indicated that they have taken a break from
hunting at some time, with 2% of hunters having specifically taken a break that included the year 2006 (when the previous National Survey was conducted), and 1% of nascent hunters having taken up hunting since 2011. In fishing, the percentages are slightly higher: 26% indicated having taken a break from fishing, with 3% of anglers specifically having a break that included 2006 but had come back to the sport in recent years, and 2% being new to fishing. This can partly account for the greater numbers of hunters and anglers seen in both Federal Aid data and the National Surveys.

Compared to established hunters, these new/returning hunters are slightly more often female, somewhat younger, more often in the military or college, slightly more suburban, have not been living in the same state for as long,
and are more often hunting to be with friends (invited, perhaps?). Likewise, compared to established anglers, the group of new/returning anglers are again slightly more often female, are markedly more often retired with new free time, are slightly more often identifying themselves as homemakers, slightly more suburban, have not been living in the same state for as long, and are more devoted to fishing in freshwater (i.e., did not fish in saltwater as much as established anglers—because anglers could fish in both types of waters, established anglers fished in freshwater about as much as ne w/returning anglers, but they fished in saltwater much more often than did
new/returning anglers).

Well it's good news about the ladies. I'm willing to let mine wear some pink if it makes her a little bit happier to climb a mountain. I read a story somewhere about a lady was out on her own doing some hunting. I believe she was trying out archery hunting and somehow ended up shooting the deer in her underwear. Who wouldn't want to come across that?

I read a story somewhere about a lady was out on her own doing some hunting. I believe she was trying out archery hunting and somehow ended up shooting the deer in her underwear. Who wouldn't want to come across that?

I know of a woman who was on a final stalk for a bighorn when she pulled her pants down a bit to show her white under-roos to mimic a bighorn sheep... It worked. She's currently one sheep away from an archery grandslam, and IIRC has recently been guiding brown bear hunts in SW Alaska...

I know lots of women who are getting into hunting. I think it has a lot to do with knowing where their meat comes from, and knowing how to take care of themselves. Most women I've met that are even remotely interested in it, are willing to try it, can't say the same for more men. Not sure how many guys I've talked to that have turned down a weekend caribou or moose hunt, but I'm guessing I'm up around 12-15 now. They talk like they want to go, but when offered a trip, decline. I think they are afraid they may look foolish or something. Women don't seem to have this same fear, they know they don't know chit, but are more than willing to learn. I also think the female taboo for hunting has declined dramatically, more fathers are taking their daughters hunting.

Not really sure why it matters if they make "pink &*#t"... Are you worried that you'll end up wearing it? :D

Not sure how many guys I've talked to that have turned down a weekend caribou or moose hunt, but I'm guessing I'm up around 12-15 now.

That's because I would prefer to go for about a week if I'm traveling up that way. :)

On a serious note, when my wife tells her girlfriends about hunting they all get interested, in fact she may be taking her office staff on a boar hunt this spring. She's lined up about 12 women for me to teach a Hunters Ed too so they can all get certified.

If my girlfriend's daughter wants a pink cricket rifle and it makes her want to shoot...then I'll be at wal mart buying a pink cricket rifle

My wife shot a winter 3d league with me last winter and got real into it. She loves pink and so I bought her a pink camo Bear bow. Halfway through the leagues she wanted something faster realizing that speed can help with yardage estimates and ended up upgrading to this pretty thing. Most of the guys laugh thinking it needs to be camo for hunting but I'm not that stupid and to know that she's taking a interest in actually hunting I'd get her just about anything. She actually wanted an elk tag but wants to start off by shooting gophers to see if she can handle the killing part. Hey whatever it takes. Besides hunting with a hot chick makes every trip a good one.

pink.JPG

. Besides hunting with a hot chick makes every trip a good one.

Yep.

424598_3797883140337_1238616595_n.jpg

I know lots of women who are getting into hunting. I think it has a lot to do with knowing where their meat comes from, and knowing how to take care of themselves. Most women I've met that are even remotely interested in it, are willing to try it, can't say the same for more men... I also think the female taboo for hunting has declined dramatically, more fathers are taking their daughters hunting.

Not really sure why it matters if they make "pink &*#t"... Are you worried that you'll end up wearing it? :D

Being into sustainability and organics, and having female friends that are also into the same, part of it is food source. But more of the women I know that are getting into hunting and such, it is from more of an awakening that they are not being restricted anymore. As humans, like David Petersen points out, "While hunting's critics often deride the activity as a barbaric anachronism - a filthy remnant from our distant savage past - human ecology counters that since we evolved via hunting, and remain physically, mentally, and emotionally (genetically) exactly as we were then, to hunt is to be human."

When you grow up and all the marketing seems to think that if you are female that you are genetically predisposed to liking pink and lavender, and they shove it down your throat from panties > toys > shoes > bikes everything. Then it gets pretty disgusting. I begged my mom take me to the boys departments to get some clothes in decent colors as a child. She refused. Thankfully, dad and I were close so he took me. I still buy mens cargo pants and thermal knit/flannel shirts to get my colors with natural fibers that will be durable. It just gets tricky on the hips and I dont need the extra room in the front.

I dont look at hunting as a gender thing. And from my archaeological and ancient linguistics studies know that women used to hunt until they were not allowed by most patriarchal Indo-European cultures. And from those excavations of females with tools and hunting gear, not one bloody artifact was in pink. :)

Being into sustainability and organics, and having female friends that are also into the same, part of it is food source. But more of the women I know that are getting into hunting and such, it is from more of an awakening that they are not being restricted anymore. As humans, like David Petersen points out, "While hunting's critics often deride the activity as a barbaric anachronism - a filthy remnant from our distant savage past - human ecology counters that since we evolved via hunting, and remain physically, mentally, and emotionally (genetically) exactly as we were then, to hunt is to be human."

When you grow up and all the marketing seems to think that if you are female that you are genetically predisposed to liking pink and lavender, and they shove it down your throat from panties > toys > shoes > bikes everything. Then it gets pretty disgusting. I begged my mom take me to the boys departments to get some clothes in decent colors as a child. She refused. Thankfully, dad and I were close so he took me. I still buy mens cargo pants and thermal knit/flannel shirts to get my colors with natural fibers that will be durable. It just gets tricky on the hips and I dont need the extra room in the front.

I dont look at hunting as a gender thing. And from my archaeological and ancient linguistics studies know that women used to hunt until they were not allowed by most patriarchal Indo-European cultures. And from those excavations of females with tools and hunting gear, not one bloody artifact was in pink. :)

:confused: so what your saying is you like to wear men's clothes...that's ok too.. my wife doesn't..go with what works

:confused: so what your saying is you like to wear men's clothes

Mudranger, what I am saying is that I have to wear some mens clothing to get the colors I want, durability and fabrics. I learned to sew before 12 out of necessity. So at times, I will take a small mans garment and whack it up to make something that fits better and is not pink or the myriad of other pastels they predominantly make womens clothing in. Y'all get the beautiful rusts, maroons, dark stormy blues, olive and pine greens.

When it comes to the equipment, often they will make something for women, sometimes not of the same quality, do it up in pastels to sell it to women. While it may be smaller, lighter or shorter, which saves me having to saw part of the butt off a gun and mount a new pad, I would really like to not have to borg everything to get good quality and function, without it being pink.

Mudranger, what I am saying is that I have to wear some mens clothing to get the colors I want, durability and fabrics. I learned to sew before 12 out of necessity. So at times, I will take a small mans garment and whack it up to make something that fits better and is not pink or the myriad of other pastels they predominantly make womens clothing in. Y'all get the beautiful rusts, maroons, dark stormy blues, olive and pine greens.

When it comes to the equipment, often they will make something for women, sometimes not of the same quality, do it up in pastels to sell it to women. While it may be smaller, lighter or shorter, which saves me having to saw part of the butt off a gun and mount a new pad, I would really like to not have to borg everything to get good quality and function, without it being pink.

If things keep going the way they are now, it will not be long until you will not have to worry about modification of men's clothing. The female clientele are more important to the vendors all the time. All the women on outdoor shows are helping this change in attitudes, also.

At least you can sew and change things if you need to. It appears to be a dying art.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeoregonhunter
Back