Euros Gone Wild

We generally simmer deer skulls longer than that with no issues. Gave up on the beetles a couple years ago. Too hard keeping them going fighting with parasytic mites. If bone has been cooked in chlorine bleach solution it will fall apart sooner or later.View attachment 329787View attachment 329788
These are few of the skulls cleaned by simply simmering and bleaching with peroxide. Oh ... bottom photo is last year's buck before bleaching. That's what it looked like after cleaning in Montana before the long drive home. It's partially visible in top photo after I finished it.
You keep saying bleaching I hope you mean whitening. Yah beetles are a pain imo.

You keep saying bleaching I hope you mean whitening. Yah beetles are a pain imo.
Yes. 40V peroxide mixed to a paste with Clairol whitener and painted onto skulls hot out of the pot. Then wrapped in clear sandwich wrap and sit overnight. If it's summer, I may set the wrapped skull in the sun outside during the day. That works very well.

Yes. 40V peroxide mixed to a paste with Clairol whitener and painted onto skulls hot out of the pot. Then wrapped in clear sandwich wrap and sit overnight. If it's summer, I may set the wrapped skull in the sun outside during the day. That works very well.
Yah sun sure helps unfortunately most of mine I'm doing g in dead of winter here.

48 hours in 130*~ water with dawn and biz, decent skim of grease at the water. Didn't want to go past 48 hours, was getting nervous about the skull holding together. On the porch whitening with some hair peroxide and whitener per my other skulls. Worst case I bet I got rid of that smell. Best case, a nice finished head for INSIDE the house.

Whatever "stain" was used on the antlers comes off with water. So that's pretty awesome.

I believe its the heat that helps with the whitening, hence why the old ladies used to sit under those hair dryer things.... after wrapping with cling wrap, use an electric heater and it helps with the process for sure!

I'm also of the opinion that your Euro isn't that bad.....Degreased not bad.... agreed on the ear canals should have been removed, the crack on the pedicel base is strange for sure, but all in, not that bad.

That definitely wasn't done correctly.
We do tons of Euros every season here in Northern Michigan and this is what they should look like if done properly.

BTW, If anyone is needing Euro's done we are a full time operation and accept heads from all over the U.S. Average Turn around time is 6-12 Months depending on our current work load when we receive your skull.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230811-184622~2.png
    Screenshot_20230811-184622~2.png
    634 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20230811-184648~2.png
    Screenshot_20230811-184648~2.png
    711 KB · Views: 8
Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members