Euro mount sheep smell

TheBenHoyle

I just received the euro mount for the black Hawaiian ram I shot in June. I'm so happy to have it, but I noticed it has a very noticeable and somewhat unpleasant odor. It isn't the smell of rot or anything like that. the skull is clean, and very well done. It is more like the lanolin smell of sheep, but ratcheted up to 100, where normally own a live sheep you would say it is a 10 maybe. It is a very strong smell, although thankfully it doesn't fill a room with the odor, you definitely smell it if you are within maybe a foot and Half of the skull. And is not just the horns that smell. It is also the skull itself.

I'm just hoping that someone else on this forum has dealt with this and maybe knows of something that will pull out the smell or maybe seal it in. I was thinking about packing it in borax or baking soda or maybe spraying it with a clear matte sealant. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

IMG_5251.jpeg

I know a fella in OKC that owns a shop called skulls unlimited. When someone brings a rotten or particularly smelly skull after the beetles he puts them in a "ozone chamber" (sealed room with ozone machines).

Borax does some amazing things. If that doesn’t work, you might try one of those cheep 110v ozone generators. Plug it into an extension cord and seal it, and the skull in a heavy trash bag.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clinebj22
Back