NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Electric fence for backcountry bear safety?

Ben Long

I'm plotting a weeklong packrafting trip in grizzly country. Seriously considering a backcountry hot fence to keep bears out of camp. Weight is an issue. Anyone have any experience with electric fencing, as opposed to bear bags, hanging food, etc. Enlighten me before I open my wallet...

Ive used one - still hung my pack and food. It was easy to set up and brought some peace of mind - but i wouldnt trust it to keep them away from a cooking area.

I built two for afognak. 4-ish pounds if I used carbon arrows as the poles, a little more if I used fiberglass 1 piece poles. I think I had about $175 in each one

I’ve used one in the Yellowstone area a few times. It was handy. If I was packing with horses I’d definitely bring it, backpacking I wouldn’t.

I'm plotting a weeklong packrafting trip in grizzly country. Seriously considering a backcountry hot fence to keep bears out of camp. Weight is an issue. Anyone have any experience with electric fencing, as opposed to bear bags, hanging food, etc. Enlighten me before I open my wallet...

Ben, if you use this one bring along twice as many stakes as it comes with, it's darn near impossible to get the wires tight with this kit. We took one to Alaska and for the first few days we were constantly screwing with the stakes to maintain tension and keep the wires above the vegetation, then the battery box got wet from the heavy rain and shorted itself out...which saved us the hassle with the wires.

Almost identical to what @Bluffgruff build for our Kodiak trip last fall as well. Only difference is I used heavier/stronger fiberglass poles compared to carbon arrow shafts. Mine comes in closer to 8# as a result with 6 poles. Covers about as big of area as you want. We brought some rubber strips as well and wrapped the fence around trees too for posts that worked well.

20231007_084806.jpg

20231007_084741.jpg

20231007_084729.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vermonthoosier547
Back