Advertisement

easy mods to increase hauling capacity atv decks? This cannot stand man.

Khunter

This cannot stand man, i need better than what did last year. Wht have guys done without too much trouble to carry a lot of crap including bow camp food and water into an ATV based hunting camp? boosted ATV deck area, containers they strap of mount on decks? or ?

Appreciate recommendations. This is a rare need for me so not really wanting to buy a trailer.

IMG_8319.jpegIMG_8323.jpeg

Not much different than you - i use a waterproof duffle in lieu of tote. But theres not a lot you can fit on one at the end of the day.

Not much different than you - i use a waterproof duffle in lieu of tote. But theres not a lot you can fit on one at the end of the day.
you did not rely on contractor garbage bags like in my photo? LOL. my last second crutch using trash bags was a poor option for sure.
those bags were protecting my non waterproof bags on a muddy trail ridden in the rain on way in.

Last edited:
I have a rack like this, https://www.amazon.com/Kolpin-Conve...dd78fbed7ea23b3a8fbeebbebc720da0&gad_source=1
The crappy part about atvs, mine at least, is if you stick stuff off the front or the back it’s too short and changes the center of gravity. The first time I went moose hunting in AK, we atv’d many miles back to a creek to start our float. We had stuff piled so high on the atvs that they would tip onto their side on uneven trail. It makes me smile now, but it was a PITA at the time.

Why you taking in so much stuff? You give me a lot of grief for hiking so much but you brought a whole pickup load in on that thing.
Touché Rhetorical question I presume given I was setting up a comfortable base camp for a 10+ day hunt AND bringing all backpack hunt gear as well in addition to larger tent, etc.

And yes, LOL, I had expressed backpacking in 10 miles on a cow elk hunt and with no water source is certifiably nuts, 8/10 psychologists agree on this..I will look up the literature citation for the EXHAUSTIVE study of the topic :)

Last edited:
I have a rack like this, https://www.amazon.com/Kolpin-Conve...dd78fbed7ea23b3a8fbeebbebc720da0&gad_source=1
The crappy part about atvs, mine at least, is if you stick stuff off the front or the back it’s too short and changes the center of gravity. The first time I went moose hunting in AK, we atv’d many miles back to a creek to start our float. We had stuff piled so high on the atvs that they would tip onto their side on uneven trail. It makes me smile now, but it was a PITA at the time.
Thanks! And yes I darn sure about put that ATV on its side a couple times when got into a rut.

Rhetorical question I presume given I was setting up a comfortable base camp for a 10+ day hunt AND bringing all backpack hunt gear as well in addition to larger tent, etc.

And yes, LOL, I had expressed backpacking in 10 miles on a cow elk hunt and with no water source is certifiably nuts, 8/10 psychologists agree on this..I will look up the literature citation for the EXHAUSTIVE study of the topic :)
Yep, am always amused by the mountain stream as primary water replenishment as a given comments.

Last edited:
you did not rely on contractor garbage bags like in my photo? LOL. my last second crutch using trash bags was a poor option for sure.
those bags were protecting my non waterproof bags on a muddy trail ridden in the rain on way in.
Lol i was looking at the totes. They typically dont survive in the truck without cracks long.

Rhetorical question I presume given I was setting up a comfortable base camp for a 10+ day hunt AND bringing all backpack hunt gear as well in addition to larger tent, etc.

Well I use a chainsaw inches from major arteries 80 feet up in the air, dangling on an 11mm diameter rope, getting blown around by the wind. Certifiably nuts checks out!

And I’m going back in to shoot another cow this year, solo. And I’m going for the double with an antelope buck on the way out. My cart is gonna look like your atv coming out of there.

Small trailer might be the way to go for all your stuff. I use a calf sled a lot for bear baiting. Just put stuff in that doesn’t matter if it gets wet muddy or bounced around. Those totes of yours would probably fit in a sled nice

i have this plus the basket for the front rack. Works really well.

Not what you want to hear, but a small trailer is the ticket.
I used to have one I built with the rear axle out of a Geo prism. I used the donut tires that fit it. It had a lot of ground clearance, and I had zero problems pulling it anywhere I wanted. I used to take a wall tent, cots and all the fixings in on an ATV trail.

One of those small, military surplus trailers would work nice as well, always wanted one.

If you don't want to haul a trailer:

Possible to take saddle or standard pannier soft sided and have the panniers hang over the front/two sides and rear/two sides?

Give you six soft panniers of additional storage?

Edit added: Might need two pieces of hard plastic on the rear sides to keep the panniers from rubbing the rear tires... maybe hard plastic for front sides as well though based on tying off to the high bar of the rack, the panniers may be above the front tires to rub.

Last edited:
Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jg722
Back