Don't look a gift elk in the mouth ( or don't hate me)

Brittany Chukarman

Probably shouldn't tell this one but it is a good story. We started seeing elk on our game cams at night mid-September. I'd hike out early trying to catch them but they were always gone. Oct 2 there was bugling, chuckling and grunts all night long. I had a hunt in Wyoming leaving in a couple days and didn't plan on hunting elk until I got back. My plan for the day was to go to the woods and cut a load of firewood. With all the activity during the night I had to see if any had stuck around in daylight. I put on my dirty wood cutting clothes and went down by the woodshed where I had a good view, no elk in sight and I could hear a bull moving away. Figuring it was over I went back in, changed back into my PJ's and made a cup of coffee. I grabbed my binoculars and went out on the deck to have my coffee. As soon as I got out there I spotted elk. Back in the house, grab the rifle and hustle down to the woodshed. A big cow was standing perfect. Bigger than I wanted but everything was just right. Took the shot and she bolted out of view into the sage. It wasn't until i got back in the house getting knives together that I realized I was in my PJ's and house slippers. By then my wife was waking up and I told her "I think I just killed an elk in my pajamas".Got dressed and went looking for her. She had ran about 50 yards before piling up. Heart shot. Nice, fat cow. Butchered some before leaving for Wyoming and hung the rest in my walk-in. That meat that hung longer was so tender. I usually start butchering the next day but from now on I'll start on the trim and let the big pieces hang longer.

1729910252143.jpeg

Probably shouldn't tell this one but it is a good story. We started seeing elk on our game cams at night mid-September. I'd hike out early trying to catch them but they were always gone. Oct 2 there was bugling, chuckling and grunts all night long. I had a hunt in Wyoming leaving in a couple days and didn't plan on hunting elk until I got back. My plan for the day was to go to the woods and cut a load of firewood. With all the activity during the night I had to see if any had stuck around in daylight. I put on my dirty wood cutting clothes and went down by the woodshed where I had a good view, no elk in sight and I could hear a bull moving away. Figuring it was over I went back in, changed back into my PJ's and made a cup of coffee. I grabbed my binoculars and went out on the deck to have my coffee. As soon as I got out there I spotted elk. Back in the house, grab the rifle and hustle down to the woodshed. A big cow was standing perfect. Bigger than I wanted but everything was just right. Took the shot and she bolted out of view into the sage. It wasn't until i got back in the house getting knives together that I realized I was in my PJ's and house slippers. By then my wife was waking up and I told her "I think I just killed an elk in my pajamas".Got dressed and went looking for her. She had ran about 50 yards before piling up. Heart shot. Nice, fat cow. Butchered some before leaving for Wyoming and hung the rest in my walk-in. That meat that hung longer was so tender. I usually start butchering the next day but from now on I'll start on the trim and let the big pieces hang longer.

View attachment 346240
Heck yeah!
I missed a great whitetail buck with my muzzleloader while in long underwear and slippers once.

View attachment 346240
Aint nothin' wrong with that!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zalezgear
Back