Dog vest recommendation

blackbeard

Looking for some recommendations for dog vests. Mainly for upland birds but one for corn fields would be good too. Both are labs ones 8 years old the other is 9 months. Looking pretty hard at the mo-marsh versa-vest.

In my experience, fit is the most important element of a dog vest, and it’s hard to determine without buying and trying. A vest that rubs the wrong spots is no bueno, and each manufacturer seems to have a different idea of a dog’s build. The Momarsh vest tries to solve that with its velcro adjustability, but it didn’t work for my lab and finally the sewn seams gave way from trying to make it work. In addition, neoprene vests can be too warm for upland hunting. The skid plate style vests seem to have more fit flexibility.

I use mo-marsh neoprene vests for cold waterfowl hunting because they are easily adjustable.

For the uplands, typically with my labs, most of the wear and tear are on the head and a vest will not prevent that.

In my experience, fit is the most important element of a dog vest, and it’s hard to determine without buying and trying. A vest that rubs the wrong spots is no bueno, and each manufacturer seems to have a different idea of a dog’s build. The Momarsh vest tries to solve that with its velcro adjustability, but it didn’t work for my lab and finally the sewn seams gave way from trying to make it work. In addition, neoprene vests can be too warm for upland hunting. The skid plate style vests seem to have more fit flexibility.
Velcro skid plate designs sized appropriately have worked to a point for me. But if snow is deeper they let some in up against the belly. I've seen a tough as nails dog not like that one bit.

Take a look at Cuga vests. As mentioned above, fit is very important, but if it fits your dogs, it’s a pretty solidly built vest.

I'm on the list to get a golden retriever this fall/winter. Does any particular brand or style fit one dog breed over another? I was just thinking about a dog vest over the weekend, timing for the thread couldn't be better.

CUGA vests, they come in narrow for the more narrow chested pointers and versatiles which fit way better than vests made for wide chested Labs.

I started using the Rig Em Right vest and really like it. It fits better than any other vest without having to alter it.

Kenetrek Boots

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishonfleek
Back