Chains for 23 tacoma

WildWill

Got a new truck last year but haven't bought chains yet. I didn't have any late season hunts out west last year but will be in CO during 3rd rifle and WY chasing cow elk in Dec. Any recommendations on brand or model?

Laclede chains have been fine for me. I find my needed size and part number on their website then look for them on eBay.

Have a peep behind your front tire. There’s like 1/2” clearance between the tire and steering knuckle on Tacomas. You won’t be able to fit chains up there unless you have aftermarket wheels with a different offset.

Obligatory warning: Use them to get you out of sticky places, not into them.

Not sure about the newer Tacomas, but I can run chains on the front of my 18 Tundra and I’ve used them on the front of a newer Chevy with similarly tight clearance behind the front tires. You won’t be able to use really heavy V-bar chains, but I bet you’ll be able to find something to fit. You might be able to use the auto tracks or something similar with chains over the tire and a cable connection on the inside too. A smaller chain still gets the job done on ice, which is what you really need chains for, not for digging in deep snow.

For deep snow I’m looking at a set of truck claws. They look nice for getting un-stuck from the deep stuff.

regular chains in the rear,but you might not be able to do chains on your fronts without at least a leveling kit,,i lifted my 2020 taco 3" and have roome to run 285,s/75/16 but no chain room on the fronts

regular chains in the rear,but you might not be able to do chains on your fronts without at least a leveling kit,,i lifted my 2020 taco 3" and have roome to run 285,s/75/16 but no chain room on the fronts
A lift does nothing for clearances where tire chains are involved. The issue is clearance from the sidewall of the tire to suspension components and brake lines. I can chain all four on my truck. mtmuley

Looks like I won't be needing to do any shopping thanks to @Wildabeest. But this southern boy will take any and all advice besides the obligatory practice putting them on at home. I've never put a pair of chains on in my life I'm running P265/65R17 tires and here's what I'm working with. What do y'all think will chains go on the front?20240916_152840.jpg

Looks like I won't be needing to do any shopping thanks to @Wildabeest. But this southern boy will take any and all advice besides the obligatory practice putting them on at home. I've never put a pair of chains on in my life I'm running P265/65R17 tires and here's what I'm working with. What do y'all think will chains go on the front?View attachment 340509
The inside of the tire is where you need to be concerned about. mtmuley

The inside of the tire is where you need to be concerned about. mtmuley
This 100%.

Since their inception Tacoma's haven't had clearance between the steering and suspension components and the inside of the tire. Might be able to squeeze some dinky wire things in there, but those are gonna break quick on unpaved surfaces. Goobering any of those components with some broken chains flopping around is gonna get someone real stuck.
Looks like I won't be needing to do any shopping thanks to @Wildabeest. But this southern boy will take any and all advice besides the obligatory practice putting them on at home. I've never put a pair of chains on in my life I'm running P265/65R17 tires and here's what I'm working with. What do y'all think will chains go on the fronView attachment 340509
You can't get actual chains on the front of a Tacoma with stock wheel spacing. Maybe could squeeze some dinky wire things in there, but they're susceptible to breakage off pavement. Run your hand between the top of the tire in on the backside and see how much room you have. Not a lot.

This 100%.

Since their inception Tacoma's haven't had clearance between the steering and suspension components and the inside of the tire. Might be able to squeeze some dinky wire things in there, but those are gonna break quick on unpaved surfaces. Goobering any of those components with some broken chains flopping around is gonna get someone real stuck.

You can't get actual chains on the front of a Tacoma with stock wheel spacing. Maybe could squeeze some dinky wire things in there, but they're susceptible to breakage off pavement. Run your hand between the top of the tire in on the backside and see how much room you have. Not a lot.
I meant to respond to one or the other but it accidentally kept both. Repetition aside, I think you get my point. Tons of chatter on Tacoma World on the subject as well.

Looks like I won't be needing to do any shopping thanks to @Wildabeest. But this southern boy will take any and all advice besides the obligatory practice putting them on at home. I've never put a pair of chains on in my life I'm running P265/65R17 tires and here's what I'm working with. What do y'all think will chains go on the front?View attachment 340509
The ones I’m sending you definitely should not be installed on the front. They’re v-bar links which require the most clearance of any chain type made for passenger vehicles.

This 100%.

Got it definitely tight back there. 20240916_192451.jpg

I'm gonna assume the wife's 22 4 runner probably is setup similarly not allowing chains upfront. If I'm wrong someone please correct me.

Got it definitely tight back there. View attachment 340512

I'm gonna assume the wife's 22 4 runner probably is setup similarly not allowing chains upfront. If I'm wrong someone please correct me.
It’s certainly a bummer about those trucks. Mine is a ‘96 and they didn’t have clearance for chains back then either. Lots of absolutely critical components behind those tires.

If snow is especially deep you’re not gonna be able to really romp around freely on the roads. Chains on the rear will move you forward, but steering will suffer/not exist without them on the front.

Rear chains alone will help get you out of a stuck pickle if you manage to get in one. I keep them in the truck for just that type of insurance. I’d avoid getting into those pickles and pack a good transfer shovel to move snow out of the way as well.

Can’t help with the 4Runner.

It’s certainly a bummer about those trucks. Mine is a ‘96 and they didn’t have clearance for chains back then either. Lots of absolutely critical components behind those tires.

If snow is especially deep you’re not gonna be able to really romp around freely on the roads. Chains on the rear will move you forward, but steering will suffer/not exist without them on the front.

Rear chains alone will help get you out of a stuck pickle if you manage to get in one. I keep them in the truck for just that type of insurance. I’d avoid getting into those pickles and pack a good transfer shovel to move snow out of the way as well.

Can’t help with the 4Runner.
Chains are kind of like carrying a handgun for bear defense. Makes you feel more confident before you die 😝.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rut
Back