Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Diy paper tune

I have an old coat rack that I clip old construction drawing sheets to. Big 2'x3' sheets of paper let you shoot a lot of holes before needing to replace it!

I wish I took a picture, but I was so frustrated last year that I taped printer paper between ladder rungs and put a target behind it. It was really bush league.

You can make a frame out of PVC and shoot through old wrapping paper held on by battery clips... or you could bounce over to RMS and spend less time and money in having a pro do it.
I second this--I built one many many year ago and it's easy, cheap and get the job done.

Mark

I made one out of pvc several years ago. Just clamp some butcher paper to it. Prior to that I repurposed a wire frame for those yard signs people like to put everywhere. Nice part about the pvc, is that I could build it to match my target height.

I have an old coat rack that I clip old construction drawing sheets to. Big 2'x3' sheets of paper let you shoot a lot of holes before needing to replace it!
Ever compared tears with construction paper vs freezer paper?

French tune works great for in the house. Close distances and works well. I always fallow up with a walk back tune but rarely ever have to move my rest after the first one.

This^ I just had Will do mine, picked it up last Thursday and it's shooting great now. I couldn't get a good paper tune to save my life before that, the timing was juuuuust barely off.
Why would you have someone else tune it? Wouldn’t you want to tune it to the individual who is shooting the bow all the time?

Why would you have someone else tune it? Wouldn’t you want to tune it to the individual who is shooting the bow all the time?

A bow is a machine like a rifle, nothing more. Tuning to an individual is not a thing, and if you're 'tuning' a bow to compensate for bad form then you're just messing up the bow, fix your shooting form instead...

The only true bad form is not having the same form every shot. If you can replicate it consistently, it's not bad form. I mean, how many shooters have absolutely perfect form outside of professionals? I have to imagine that even with textbook form, there will be subtle differences between shooters, I'd rather tune my bow to me, but having someone else tune it is fine as well. No wrong way imo

A bow is a machine like a rifle, nothing more. Tuning to an individual is not a thing, and if you're 'tuning' a bow to compensate for bad form then you're just messing up the bow, fix your shooting form instead...
How you hold bow vs the guy at store will be different(hence two different tunes). I guess imo I’d rather tune it to my form instead of someone else’s. I mean your tune can even change depending on your release( finger puncher vs handheld). Who says the dude at the store doesn’t have a flaw in his form but was able to get it to punch a hole through paper then you shoot it through paper and get a different result?

The only true bad form is not having the same form every shot. If you can replicate it consistently, it's not bad form. I mean, how many shooters have absolutely perfect form outside of professionals? I have to imagine that even with textbook form, there will be subtle differences between shooters, I'd rather tune my bow to me, but having someone else tune it is fine as well. No wrong way imo
How you hold bow vs the guy at store will be different(hence two different tunes). I guess imo I’d rather tune it to my form instead of someone else’s. I mean your tune can even change depending on your release( finger puncher vs handheld). Who says the dude at the store doesn’t have a flaw in his form but was able to get it to punch a hole through paper then you shoot it through paper and get a different result?

I think you're both misunderstanding the meaning of a tune. An in-tune bow simply means the arrow comes off the rest straight and true, in my case the cam timing was slightly off and it was kicking the arrow up. It has nothing to do with what your grip is like or what kind or release you use. If you're not putting any torque on the bow during release/follow-through it doesn't matter what your form is (you can literally shoot a bow without your arms!), but if you're "tuning" your bow to compensate for a bad habits or inconsistent form then you are magnifying issues instead of solving them.

I think you're both misunderstanding the meaning of a tune. An in-tune bow simply means the arrow comes off the rest straight and true, in my case the cam timing was slightly off and it was kicking the arrow up. It has nothing to do with what your grip is like or what kind or release you use. If you're not putting any torque on the bow during release/follow-through it doesn't matter what your form is (you can literally shoot a bow without your arms!), but if you're "tuning" your bow to compensate for a bad habits or inconsistent form then you are magnifying issues instead of solving them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meatball
Back