Dermestid Elk

thomas89

Could someone post some close-ups of a dermestid-cleaned skull? Thinking like the back of the skull (that nasty tendon connection point), vertebrae area, ears, etc.

Got my 2022 bull back (long-story) and I’m trying to judge the quality of work.

Deep down I know the answer. Just want to confirm. What I’m already thinking.

Not cleaned well, not degreased well, I’ve never seen one so wanting to triple check before I jump to conclusions.
The best/most expensive taxidermist around me does all his euros by boiling. Every one of them I’ve seen had pieces of flesh left behind and simply covered with white paint. I can’t believe people are paying what they do for them

I do not, but am interested in learning the process. Still waiting on my whitetail from last fall. Thinking I need to just do it myself going forward.
Don't recook it. Sous vide it. Sometimes just simple hydration and a pressure washer can fix it to.

Low temp 125 130 with volume 40 clear peroxide and water. Little borax or tide powder. Pressure wash. Bueno

Don't recook it. Sous vide it. Sometimes just simple hydration and a pressure washer can fix it to.

Low temp 125 130 with volume 40 clear peroxide and water. Little borax or tide powder. Pressure wash. Bueno
Idk I don't think pressure washer gonna take that grease out ? I'd go dawn or ammonia no?

I have a beetle cleaned pronghorn that is quite yellow, especially around the top of the skull. What is the best way to fix that? It is 4 years old. Not sure if that matters.
If it is yellowing, that means it wasn't de-greased properly.
There are several ways you can fix that. First is out it in a big Propane Turkey Fryer that is filled with Dawn Dish Soap and Water. Bring the water to a boil and let it boil for a few minutes. Don't boil to long or the skull will start to get fragile.
The second option is grabbing a tote, filling it with warm water and dawn soap or borax and letting it sit, swap out the warm water every so often until there is no more greasy water on top and your water looks clean.

Or you can send it to a Taxidermist Who will take his time and de-greased and whiten it properly

I used to do beetles and early in the season if your colony isn't doing really well they might not do as good of a job as you would expect.

They just wouldn't eat some of the very toughest sinew and cartilage. I would have to soak and clean it by hand sometimes.

Also as mentioned, whitening is a different process than cleaning the skull especially for beetles. Not sure why but some of my dermestid cleaned pronghorn skulls ended up almost purple when they were done being cleaned. Long process with soaking with dawn and using peroxide to get them white.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
exotics50
Back