Deer season so far

EastTNHunter

Appreciated my short time in WY earlier in October. Got to meet @manitou1 who is a great guy, and he provided me some scouting tips that helped me to learn. I really feel like I was starting to get the hang of a few things, but my 9yo son was getting worn out so we shifted gears after 3 days of hunting with no tags filled. Saw tons of does, missed one buck in a series of unfortunate-yet-rapidly-unfolding events, and got some good exercise.

Shifted to spending time with my brother and his family sightseeing, but the smoke even inhibited that. Great trip, but only killed a few small game animals with my brother after all was said and done.

Came back and shifted to a youth whitetail draw hunt for my son the following weekend. As far as I can tell, he shot the first deer and last deer of this hunt. It is a good mix of terrain types that is populated to the point of having earn-a-buck requirements for adult hunts, but youth can shoot whatever they want. My son wanted to hunt the ridges, which are not too terribly tall but are super steep. He’s killed a few deer hunting open space on a powerline, but has not been able to seal the deal on a deer in the woods until this hunt. One was shot at under 40yd, and the other at around 100yd, both in the woods. He was pumped.

Believe it or not, the deer in the picture that looks dark was shot 18 minutes before legal shooting light ended. If it had been 2 minutes later he could not have taken the shot, as the picture was taken with 2 minutes of legal shooting light left and required lights down in that hollow

IMG_4511.jpegIMG_4519.jpegIMG_4535.jpeg

Back