NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Dammit Trigger

David58

Last weekend my wife and I went to the range to start tuning up. The goal is at least three days per month at the range - not necessarily a lot of shooting at one time, but consistent practice.

Started out for fun with two of our lever rifles, one shooting 38's and the other 44 magnum. Lots of fun for my wife, and I had some fun with the hotter 44mag loads (I was surprised just how snappy they were in that little Marlin!).

Now on to my Ruger M77. Decided to work with some 150 grain Hornady (30-06) since I am getting ready for pronghorn.

Well, I done forgot how light the tricker is on my M77. After shooting a double of handfuls of ammo through the lever guns, that trigger on the Ruger is REAL light. Probably 4 shots out of 10 were dammits, knowing I had set it off before I was ready.

So...the only gun I shoot between now and then is my M77. Must learn that trigger. But if I can't get dialed back in, it's back up to Colorado to get it tightened up a bit. But the only rifle shooting I am doing between now and the last week of August is that 30-06. Well, maybe my double set trigger muzzleloaders might fit in, but even the 38-55 high wall has to take a back seat.

I wish it were simpler....

David
NM

You're going to be upset if that happens with a buck in the crosshairs. There's no need for a target weight trigger in a hunting rifle.

DO what you feel is right. It is nice to have consistency across triggers, but not necessary. I like triggers on the lighter side ~2 lbs or so. But, all of my hunting rifles are bolt guns and I can adjust them as I see fit. May just take some practice. Before your hunt spend some time with just your hunting rifle so you are used to that gun.

There is a down side to having light trigger's and not shooting a lot! My 6.5x06 is a 700 with the factory trigger adjusted to 3# pull. I'm pretty used to it but have had other people tell me they didn't pull the trigger and it just went off! One thing to have a light trigger another thing to learn to use it! These days I still have several rifles with 3# trigger's, all 700's but actually have gone up to 5# on most my other rifle's. Oh another thing about the 700 trigger. have never been able to adjust one below 3# and have it reliable! Don't know why and don't care, like heavier than super light triggers. How can you control what you can't feel?

IMHO, you shouldn’t have finger on trigger until ready to shoot, target is acquired, then start adding pressure.

Too light a trigger on a Ruger 77???

I think I saw Bigfoot once too...

It took the Wolfe spring set and honing on all 3 of my Ruger 77s to get them to where I like.
The 25-06 with the 24" light varmint barrel i could actually pick up by the trigger without it dry firing.

How heavy are your lever action triggers??!!

Too light a trigger on a Ruger 77???

I think I saw Bigfoot once too...

It took the Wolfe spring set and honing on all 3 of my Ruger 77s to get them to where I like.
The 25-06 with the 24" light varmint barrel i could actually pick up by the trigger without it dry firing.

How heavy are your lever action triggers??!!
What he said ^^^^^^^^^^.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gregmilly27
Back