County Land Accessiblity

noahdah

I drew a Montana Pronghorn tag this year and in the unit I drew, there is a small strip of county land that leads to an otherwise inaccessible piece of state land. I can not find any information at all about the access laws on county land. Does anyone have any idea of a place to start to find regulations on accessing county land? I have reached out to the local game warden but I have not gotten a response yet.

I would call the courthouse and ask. If they say "no", ask them to cite the ordinance. I would think the Sheriff's Office would be a good place to ask as well.

If you find the right person at the courthouse this can be pretty easy.

There is a difference between hunting that land and crossing it. For example - There is no hunting in Washington State Parks, but they allow you to cross with a cased rifle for the purpose of hunting. Properly tagged or proxied game meat can be carried out over their land back to your vehicle.

Ok that makes sense. I will give both a call and see what I can find. Thank you both for the help it is much appreciated.

County Ordinances will list the laws regarding the use of county land. If you can't find it online or access it, call the County Sheriff's office and ask them if what you intend to do has any county laws/ordinances that would prohibit it.

Get the correct answer first, then go ask the neighbors that border the county land if you’re allowed to cross it.. 😂🤣

If the sheriffs office says no, and the landowner says yes, you’re in! If the sheriffs office says yes and the landowner says no, you get a Cheshire Cat-style grin as you waltz through the county land 😁 Win-Win!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hoping for elk
Back