Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Communication in Business

Happy Monday

This person, who ended up being the realtor friend of the brother of my client who I’ve been trying to get ahold of for 2 months, called 45 minutes after sending the “hi” text to remind me that I need to give her the update she asked for…

IMG_2879.jpeg

People are special. Sounds like a lot of cases of “lack of planning on your part doesn’t constitute an emergency on my part”.

Out curiosity, in very broad estimates, what’s it cost to survey the boundaries of a developed residential plot? My wife and I want to redo our fencing, but the current fence lines are definitely not in line with the plot boundaries. Trying to decide if the surveyor or court fees would be higher cost for when we fence of the portion on our property that our neighbor has been presuming to be theirs.

People are special. Sounds like a lot of cases of “lack of planning on your part doesn’t constitute an emergency on my part”.

Out curiosity, in very broad estimates, what’s it cost to survey the boundaries of a developed residential plot? My wife and I want to redo our fencing, but the current fence lines are definitely not in line with the plot boundaries. Trying to decide if the surveyor or court fees would be higher cost for when we fence of the portion on our property that our neighbor has been presuming to be theirs.
In the cases I know of that went to court, the first thing the judge does is order a survey with each side paying half the cost. If you do hire a surveyor first, there isn't any guarantee that you won't end up in court anyway. If you do end up in court and the neighbor has a case for adverse possession, then you're screwed any way you look at it.

How sure are you of the actual property line?

In the cases I know of that went to court, the first thing the judge does is order a survey with each side paying half the cost. If you do hire a surveyor first, there isn't any guarantee that you won't end up in court anyway. If you do end up in court and the neighbor has a case for adverse possession, then you're screwed any way you look at it.

How sure are you of the actual property line?
About 99%. The backyard measures out as it should according to the tax & zoning measurements. It’s a simple rectangle, so the front yard lines should continue straight from the back fences, but they don’t. The front “yard” is about 6-7ft narrower that it should be. The thing that adds complexity is that the neighboring unit is a rental, so I have no idea who the actual owner is or how to get a hold of them. I suspect/hope, as they don’t live in the unit, that they likely won’t care enough about it to actually take it to court…but if they did I’m pretty confident I’d win.

The real worry is the possibility of the residents claiming squatters rights over that portion of the property.

This is less hunting related than ginger ale, but I'm going to post anyway. Perhaps you great folks can give me some advice. From my perspective, I am not the problem here, but I'm also aware of the idea that if something happens more than once, perhaps blame isn't always on the other party. I'm going to only give one example, but other things very similar have happened that I'm involved with multiple times over the last two years.

I am a land surveyor. A potential client and their attorney reached out to me and needed an ALTA survey performed, they provided the title commitment and the timeline they needed it performed in (within a due diligence period of a buy/sell agreement). We verbally discussed the scope/fee, it all sounded good, so I wrote up a contract and sent it out. I stated that I could start near the end of the following week. By early the next week, I had heard nothing back, so I called and left a voice message to follow up. No response.
Two weeks later, I sent an email stating that my schedule was filling fast and I was wondering if I am going to be proceeding with this work or if they had decided to not move forward or had selected another firm. Crickets.

Last night I got a phone call from the attorney to remind me that she'll need my ALTA by no later than close of business today, so that she can review it and send it to the lender before closing next Wednesday. The conversation went very poorly after I informed her that I have not worked on the project, as I was never given notice to proceed and my contract was never executed, therefore no, I have nothing to provide her.

In no way can I view this as my fault, no matter what perspective I try to look at it from and if it was an isolated incident, I'd shrug it off, but again - this has been repeated 3 or 4 times over the last few years. The other times were less consequential, but this time a ~$4.5 million transaction is likely to fall out of escrow because of it. The lender won't lend without the ALTA and the seller isn't inclined to extend, according to the very angry lawyer.

What do I do differently, fellow business owners?
I have have very few verbal conversations anymore that are not immediately followed up by an email. I’ve licked those wounds to many times.

We've an offer tacitly accepted but awaiting our caveats/modifications to offeree blanket language to be perfected. It's a complicated install that we've value engineered thus waiting on final schedule and drawings. The initial schedule was tight & there has been a 5 month delay since bid date. We have a written notice of award and accepted VE totals (all nonbinding in our world). We returned the amended blanket language and our standard rider to a local GC, that we've FAFO'd with before, two weeks ago...so far no response.

It's a nice project but not worth a one way street to involve ourselves. We are going after work as if the aforementioned isn't going to happen & honestly, I hope we fill the slot.

Last edited:
I'm like Harley anymore. If it happens great. If not, no big deal.

Sounds like your schedule is busy enough, you don't need to chase work. That's a great spot to be in so rather than accept my first answer as the professional one (it is Lagos, Azerbaijan, Tibet & C'ote D'Ivorie as well as many former Belgian principalities & territories), simply remind folks in a polite, clear and concise means that there was never a contract, and that if they'd like to have the performed they need to follow through with a signed contract.

I've found that polite, direct & professional can be the best way to ask someone just how far their head is inserted into their posterior.

This just gets worse and worse as a generation afraid of human interaction comes up. You cannot conduct business via sms.

I'm dealing with something at work where our engineers think they don't need to interact with clients. Scared to death about it.
66492232.jpg

I had an interesting conversation with a customer today. They are a multi billion dollar company that reached out to me 4 years ago. I met with them in the spring, covered their entire property and mapped everything that needed addressed. After mapping I gave them a quote for what they would need to budget for 7 years to get the place under control. They agreed and signed the contract. The first three years were great and last year I came in about 2% under budget. This year they cut the budget by 30% and I went and did everything possible with the budget cuts. This morning they called and said they had found an area I “missed” this year. I explained that I didn’t miss it and that I’d mapped everything we had done this year but due to the budget cuts we never got to that point. They asked if I could do the work still. I told them I’d need another PO as the other was maxed out. They said that they do so much work with me that I should just do it for free. I explained that my guys don’t work for free and that my equipment doesn’t run for free. They got offended that I wouldn’t just “knock that out real quick.” I told them that I’d set some time aside to do the work in September if they could find some more money. Gotta love it!

I had an interesting conversation with a customer today. They are a multi billion dollar company that reached out to me 4 years ago. I met with them in the spring, covered their entire property and mapped everything that needed addressed. After mapping I gave them a quote for what they would need to budget for 7 years to get the place under control. They agreed and signed the contract. The first three years were great and last year I came in about 2% under budget. This year they cut the budget by 30% and I went and did everything possible with the budget cuts. This morning they called and said they had found an area I “missed” this year. I explained that I didn’t miss it and that I’d mapped everything we had done this year but due to the budget cuts we never got to that point. They asked if I could do the work still. I told them I’d need another PO as the other was maxed out. They said that they do so much work with me that I should just do it for free. I explained that my guys don’t work for free and that my equipment doesn’t run for free. They got offended that I wouldn’t just “knock that out real quick.” I told them that I’d set some time aside to do the work in September if they could find some more money. Gotta love it!
A manager made a dumb decision to make budget cuts and get a bonus, then realized how badly they had screwed themselves and tried to steal your labor to cover their stupidity before anyone found out.

Gotta hit em with the "Where i work people get paid to work - and its flatly unethical to ask them to work without pay. In any case - since you are an ethical person - I would love to help with your gracious opportunity. Let me know where to send a contract!"

A manager made a dumb decision to make budget cuts and get a bonus, then realized how badly they had screwed themselves and tried to steal your labor to cover their stupidity before anyone found out.
I’m looking forward to their state inspection…I’m sure they’ll try and shit backwards when that happens!

Propane guy came yesterday morning. Finally.
Son of the owner.
1st talked to them in Nov.
Went by last week and made sure they had address right. Guy pinned my loop road.

The 500g tank went up to $4900. I opted for more realistic 250g I needed,$2500.
I had it wrong they do not sell the backup generators, but install them.

Made the choice and as I handed him $2500 to get the today price, in cash, I mentioned life and being former propane driver/lic. in NM & 20 yrs LEO...
"I can find you".
He just about crapped his pants but said he would have new tank in by Fri....with the receipts.

I don't know if it was the eye studs or the tats. Have a feeling he likes blow.

I'll call dad this morning to make sure the order went in and we're good.

`I had spent the afternoon calling Generac dealers and visiting websites.
The $6k model is now $16k from one guy and another was $26k installed...
Another would call back today with realistic price.

My buddy in WI sent me a local ad for the 24k at $6k.

Is being criminally insane a business model these days?

Hank are you doing above ground or below ground Propane tank?

I think our local propane company leases me the 500 gallon tank for 80 bucks a year. If I want below ground I'd have to buy it, and install myself.

I think things get wonky in small town with limited services and no competition.

Hank are you doing above ground or below ground Propane tank?

I think our local propane company leases me the 500 gallon tank for 80 bucks a year. If I want below ground I'd have to buy it, and install myself.

I think things get wonky in small town with limited services and no competition.
Above ground. I don't use much,but cook and backup heat.
The 100g temporary will be fine for the Generac.

Talked to tatted Tony this morning. Waiting for another inspection.
Will head to Alb. for tank this week.

Guy from Alb. generator business called back late yesterday. Told him I found a deal in morning when I never heard back from 3 companies in NM.
Asked price and said he could have beat it.
Sorry dudegal.

At least I know where to get parts locally.
Folks in WI were prompt and professional. Got warranty and soft starter. Shipping remote cost me another $300. I will pick up by hwy,lift gate added.
$200 more than NM guy. They even gave me lead on installer in AZ who works around here,but can't find it.

Local propane companies are a joke. Not locals.
That's why I'm playing with a Grants/Milan company.
They will benefit when my neighbors find out and switch companies to them.
One hr drive,99% paved.

Above ground. I don't use much,but cook and backup heat.
The 100g temporary will be fine for the Generac.

Talked to tatted Tony this morning. Waiting for another inspection.
Will head to Alb. for tank this week.

. Shipping remote cost me another $300. I will pick up by hwy,lift gate added.
$200 more than NM guy.
They even gave me lead on installer in AZ who works around here,but can't find it.
When I worked at the feed company, we would let good customers ship pallets to us to unload by forklift, saving the Liftgate charge, and generally getting a commercial rather than residential freight rate. The customer would have us load their pallet in their pickup when they came to town.

Come to think about it a retired guy with a truck and a place in town might find some opportunity as a "Last mile" delivery service for folks in the country.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jg722
Back