Colorado River Float

Jamen

Hello all!

I will be headed to Colorado end of July for about 10 days for some fishing, hiking, and camping. I think we will be staying up by Silverthorne, unsure on that but i think that is the plan. I have never done a fly-fishing float on a river before and thought it could be a fun day vs the wading. Anyone have any recommendations on where to go or any guides?

And if you had any alpine lakes or streams you enjoy. I am not looking for anyone's honey hole. I am looking for beautiful country and a chance to hook up a few times. I have fished a few spots on the Blue, Deckers several times, Cheeseman twice "really enjoy that hike in" Dream stream, and a handful of others.

Hello all!

I will be headed to Colorado end of July for about 10 days for some fishing, hiking, and camping. I think we will be staying up by Silverthorne, unsure on that but i think that is the plan. I have never done a fly-fishing float on a river before and thought it could be a fun day vs the wading. Anyone have any recommendations on where to go or any guides?
Cutthroat Outfitters in Silverthorne (right on Hwy 9 North of I70) know the Upper C better than anyone if you want to hire a float guide: https://fishcolorado.com/

Plenty of access on the Upper for wading as well (and water should be in good shape that time this year) from Pumphouse. Both up into Gore Canyon (walk/wade only into the canyon unless you're a professional whitewater runner) and down from there all the way to Glenwood Canyon. Public access is well marked. Decent BLM online guide here: Upper Colorado Guide

The Eagle may still be fishing good in late July this year, too. Obviously the Blue runs right through town. Plenty of alpine lakes in the Eagles Nest, ranging from a short stroll to a multiday backpack.

I've not fished with them yet, personally, but Breckenridge Outfitters was just named Orvis's shop of the year for 2024. Strong, strong recommendation for Angler's Covey in Colorado Springs if you make it back down to the South Platte.

My buddy Paul owns Colorado River Outfitters and guides float trips on some great rivers not far from Silverthorne, The Colorado, Roaring Fork, and Eagle. Late July ought to be fishing well this year.

Yea Cutthroat Outfitters is a solid outfit. Floating the Colorado can be a zoo, but the fishing can still be really good. I'd plan on a weekday where the weather is iffy if you can. The Gore Range is a really cool place to spend time and there are plenty of lakes that offer fishing. Boulder Lake is a shorter hike with good fishing. If you want to spend a full day in the backcountry, check out Salmon Lake and the Willow Lakes area. Really cool country and good fishing opportunity. I always liked driving over Ute Pass and fishing the Upper Williams Fork. There are usually fewer people, and the fishing can be stellar.

Colorado gets a bad rap just because of the sheer amount of people and visitors, but there are some really cool places to check out and some great fishing opportunities.

Yea Cutthroat Outfitters is a solid outfit. Floating the Colorado can be a zoo, but the fishing can still be really good. I'd plan on a weekday where the weather is iffy if you can. The Gore Range is a really cool place to spend time and there are plenty of lakes that offer fishing. Boulder Lake is a shorter hike with good fishing. If you want to spend a full day in the backcountry, check out Salmon Lake and the Willow Lakes area. Really cool country and good fishing opportunity. I always liked driving over Ute Pass and fishing the Upper Williams Fork. There are usually fewer people, and the fishing can be stellar.

Colorado gets a bad rap just because of the sheer amount of people and visitors, but there are some really cool places to check out and some great fishing opportunities.
much appreciated i don't mind hiking in a few miles to get away from people and see some county. Coming from North Dakota the scenery is what i am after, trout are a bonus!

My buddy Paul owns Colorado River Outfitters and guides float trips on some great rivers not far from Silverthorne, The Colorado, Roaring Fork, and Eagle. Late July ought to be fishing well this year.
I will second Paul with Colorado River Outfitters!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
manbugle
Back